How do you feel at the end of a 5k? (Read 364 times)

runnershawn

I fall to the ground and hope for the end

I've only run 3 so far.  Been getting in better shape, but also probably better managing the tired pain of nothing left to give in the race.  My second 5k was 2 mintues faster than my first.  And my 3rd 5k was 1 minute faster than my second.  I know those drops in time cannot continue at that rate.

I don't have my next 5k planned yet.  I've got to work more on running and weightloss.  Times in the upper 20's.  Hope to break into the 25's next 5k.

At the end of my last 5k, running into the chute, waiting for them to take the tag off the bottom of my number, I felt almost like I was going to puke.  Hard to stand still for that moment.  Just wanted to keep walking, moving, circling, gasping.  After 2 minutes, it all calmed down, and I was ok.

Is that how you feel?  Do you push yourself that hard?

5k = puke threshold

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Odd how often puke is mentioned here. I've run many 5Ks, probably more than 100, yet I see very few runners puking after one nor have I ever even felt like puking. Light-headed, dizzy, weak, rubbery legs, all yes, but never that nauseated feeling.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Odd how often puke is mentioned here. I've run many 5Ks, probably more than 100, yet I see very few runners puking after one nor have I ever even felt like puking. Light-headed, dizzy, weak, rubbery legs, all yes, but never that nauseated feeling.

Yeah, I've never reached puke threshold either!  Once I raced a mile pretty hard and was hacking and coughing after for 30 minutes.  I never do that normally after running.  It was almost like an exercise induced asthmatic fit.  I think everyone's body must respond in an individual way to hard racing.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt