Broken Rib and running again (Read 38 times)

hale1114

Last week I fell and broke a rib (10th rib, just under the armpit).  Because of the break location it's sore, hurts sometimes, but mostly, I feel it moving.  Dr says just let it heal on its own.  It's not affecting my breathing now that it's not hurting as severely.  Anybody have any recommendations on how long I should go before running?  

I've been in a pretty intense program for the last 1.5mo and I don't want to lose any cardio fitness and waste all the work I put in.

an amazing likeness

My experience was that it took over 5 weeks (+/-) before I could move from walking to even a few steps jogging without sharp pain. But once it got to the point there was no sharp pain, the rib wasn't an issue in starting back to jogging. My rib injury was lower, 7 & 8, I couldn't keep my shoulders still enough to not cause pain running; walking wasn't a problem.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runmichigan

I slipped on ice back in early February and landed flat on the right side of my back fracturing one of the lower ribs.  If the rib is fractured and there is no other damage, about the only thing that can be done is to let it heal on its own.  I ended up not running for three weeks.  By that time the pain had diminished significantly and I was able to resume running.  I did not attempt to resume my training program where I left off, but did easy 1-4 mile runs until I was confident I could run pain free and had no issues with breathing.

Outside Lane

In October 2017, I took a tumble off my bike - broke 3 ribs, collarbone and a shoulder blade.  It hurt just to breathe for a week.  I slept on a recliner because I couldn’t even bring my upper body up from laying flat.  I didn’t run for about 6 weeks.  I spent all of 2018 getting my pace back to what it was (even better) before the injury.  It all just had to heal - no surgery.  I’m finally back to be able to do push-ups!  The human body is amazing!  I haven’t been on the bike since then.  ðŸ˜€. Rest up and heal - you’ll be back on the road in 6 weeks and you’ll get back to your prior level in time.

See how they run...