Too Hot to Handle 15k (Read 882 times)

So I signed up for this a couple months ago to run it with some friends from work - hadn't really put any thought into because I was focused on my marathon training and running the El Scorcho 25k last weekend. So I picked up the packet the other day and got a really nice Brooks singlet and 'running' hat' - I was impressed with the quality of these - especially since the race was only $20. Turns out the singlet was a little small (sausage casing is how my wife described it) - so she ended up with the shirt, somehow she got the hat too. Not sure how that worked out, when I was the one who had to go run the race, but she just started running and she was happy to 'steal' them from me - so it was all good. I got to the race early and met up with my coworkers, got my chip and headed off for a little warm up run. Met back up with one of the guys at the starting line - which was a little confusing as they were also running a 5k. There were two separate starting lines going in opposite directions. Anyway, the 15k course was a single loop around White Rock Lake and although the race is called Too Hot to Handle, it wasn't actually very hot. In fact, next year they should name it Too Humid to Handle. I didn't see very many "interesting" people this time, but I did run past a man who had to be at least 7 feet tall. I think one of his shoes were bigger than both of mine put together. My race plan was to go easy for the first 5k and then speed up after that, similar to how I ran El Scorcho. I was able to pick up the pace fairly well for the 2nd 5k, but only a little bit faster for the final 5k. I managed to have the energy to sprint the last 2-3 tenths of a mile and passed a load of people in the process. I had two goals - the first was to break 1:30 and the second was to break 1:25. I managed to achieve the first goal and missed the second goal by 40 seconds with a finish time of 1:25:40. Not too shabby in my book. An okay race overall, but no gatorade/powerade at any of the aid stations - just water. I think the volunteers needed a bit of training as well to prefill more cups, as each aid station was a log jam waiting on them to fill cups. I'm glad they took time out of their day to help out, but I'll bet almost every runner lost at least a minute or two due to waiting on water. I skipped the first couple of aid stations for this reason. I may or may not do this one again.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the volunteers needed a bit of training as well to prefill more cups, as each aid station was a log jam waiting on them to fill cups. I'm glad they took time out of their day to help out, but I'll bet almost every runner lost at least a minute or two due to waiting on water. I skipped the first couple of aid stations for this reason. I may or may not do this one again.
      This is one reason I do longer races with my Camelbak or Amphipod belt. I just don't want to count on fluids and not have them there--I dehydrate and get that awful overheating/chilled/queasy thing FAR too easy. I'd rather be a bit burdened by carrying my own fluids than to end up in the med tent and have a crappy race. Your time was still great--even with the aid station slow-down. Sounds like it was otherwise a really nice race. A technical singlet and hat for a $20 race seems unheard of! Heck, I have yet to find a wicking hat for much under $20--good deal! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds like it was otherwise a really nice race. A technical singlet and hat for a $20 race seems unheard of! Heck, I have yet to find a wicking hat for much under $20--good deal!
        Thanks, Kirsten! The cheap deal on the hat and shirt was the main reason we all signed up in the first place. When the race was over, I found a pamphlet under my wipers for a 10k/20k race that has a similar deal. Looks like I may have to plan that one for September. I may have to think about bringing my own water to the longer races. This is the first time it's been a problem though.

Congrats on running your first 15K just think how well you'll do when things chill out. Cool Was there a good turn out? I think there were only 200 people when I did the hm over there. "I dehydrate and get that awful overheating/chilled/queasy thing FAR too easy." Sounds like me... ran 3/4 mile this afternoon and felt like I was going to blow..... Dead modal (who can't seem to take this heat)

Vim

btb1490

What a deal with the singlet and hat!!! I'd do the race again just for that! Even if you make it a training run, carry your own water and you won't have to worry about the water stops. Great job meeting your goal times, not too shabby is right! A 7ft tall runner? Everything is bigger in Texas, right?
            mbk

Congratulations, Bonkin! I heard the race was really large this year. I know some people who did it last year and they said the race ran out of water for about five miles; the volunteers were referring people to the 7-11 around the corner! So it sounds like things were a little better this year. I had a disappointing 5k at White Rock today, but because it was a small race and so many people were at Too Hot to Handle yesterday, I ended up winning 5th in my age group (ha ha, what a laugh). Nice job, especially so soon after El Scorcho.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When the race was over, I found a pamphlet under my wipers for a 10k/20k race that has a similar deal. Looks like I may have to plan that one for September.
                Hmmm...I think I need to consider TX for some destination races! A 20k would be a really great distance! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Was there a good turn out? I think there were only 200 people when I did the hm over there.
                  Thanks, Modal. Yes, there were 800 or so in the 15k and probably the same amount or more in the 5k. It was a good thing the races started in different directions or it would have been too crowded at the start.
                  Congratulations, Bonkin! I had a disappointing 5k at White Rock today, but because it was a small race and so many people were at Too Hot to Handle yesterday, I ended up winning 5th in my age group (ha ha, what a laugh). Nice job, especially so soon after El Scorcho.
                  Thanks, Marshall and congrats to you on a nice PR. I understand how not meeting a goal can be dissappointing, but a 5-6 minute PR on a 5k? WOW!
                  Hmmm...I think I need to consider TX for some destination races! A 20k would be a really great distance!
                  Kirsten, come on down! This is the race: Tour des Fleurs. If did brings his bike - he can tell people he rode the Tour. Big grin It will start and finish at the Dallas Arboretum. For left handed people, this is where Bill Clinton's brother got married. For everyone else, it's where Bonkin got married. Wink It's a beautiful setting and the lake is really nice place to run.