A sort of non-meat-hi carb-active person diet (Read 976 times)

I am in college and my cooking skills are a bit limited. I rarely buy meat because it's too expensive, and have been surviving on cereal, salad, and lots and lots of rice. I also make barley and couscous. And to get my protein I have tuna and canned beans and chic peas. That's pretty much the extent of my diet. Just wondering if for a semi-active person (PT in the AM 4 days a week consisting of either running, sprints or a whole crapload of pushups and other grass drills) and then biking to school and home, and getting my 30 mpw, if this is a good enough diet. I seem to be suriving, just exhausted all the time, but I'm not really blaming that on my diet. I usually make for the week, a bowl of rice, add the beans and chic peas and tuna, and eat it in a wrap or pita. I haven't had anything much different than that (I'm not a picky eater by any means, all mixed up tastes fine to me.) I also have lunch meat once in a while on salads. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cheap food that is easy to cook and good for an active person? Something that will get protein without being meat? Thanks Smile
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

How about that old stand-by peanut butter? My SIL is vegetarian and she always seems to be eating some kind of nuts - walnuts, peanuts, almonds, etc. - that's how she gets her protein. I'm pretty sure beans are also loaded with them - maybe make some vegetarian chili with a couple of different kinds of beans? You can make it on the weekend then just heat it up during the week (also a great winter comfort food).

Insert witty title here

Mmmm.. peanut butter Big grin While I can just eat it by the spoonful, I love me some pb sandwiches and also PB on a toasted bagel.

ThomasRuns Blog
        Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Here are some good ideas: Recipes
            Oh, thanks for those recipes mainerunner. I'll have to make a list to take to geegle. Yeah, I used to have a jar of peanut butter, but I would binge and the jar would be gone way faster than it was supposed to. So I don't buy peanut butter anymore Cry Chili sounds amazing, I was just going to buy the old canned stuff, but maybe I'll venture into the unknown and cook my own hehe.
              get a crockpot! fast easy cooking. buy a cheap roast and you'll have sammichs for days. same with a whole chicken, throw some dressing into the crockpot with the whole chicken (minus the gibblets and crap but you can buy a $5 chicken thats already been cleaning out) and by the afternoon you have chicken falling off the bones and so yummy. you can make chili, tacos and even meatloaf in a crockpot. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
              ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another useful thing is watching for those half-price meat sales. That's when we buy big pork loins. We have an electric roaster that we cook it in, then cool it, shred it, and dump some BBQ sauce. Perfect pulled-pork BBQ meat and it freezes REALLY well in smaller containers, so you can have quick meals with rolls whenever the mood strikes for a long time. Bottom round roast is awesome, too. Cheap, lean, and tasty. I usually throw it in the crock pot with a little red wine, some minced garlic, and black pepper. It's excellent as a roast or sliced thin for sandwiches. Simple and cheap. Meat is good. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom, meat is good lol. i always stock up on the meat when i go home lol. I think the crockpot is a great idea. Both those things you described taste delicious. I"ll look for the half price stuff next time I got to giant eagle! Liz, how would you make meatloaf in the crockpot? I love meatloaf, but cant imagine cooking it in that. Do you have a recipe or something?
                      Cheap stuff Beans Lentils Peas Rice Veggies (fresh/frozen) Powdered Carbos (Potato Flakes or Yam Flakes) I'm a fan of the crockpot, pressure cooker, and electric blender.

Vim

http://familycrockpotrecipes.com/CrockPotMeatLoaf.html the woman who told me about it said that she criss crosses the aluminum foil on the bottom, sprays it with pam puts the meatloaf in and covers it with foil and the cover to the crockpot. She says 4 hours but this recipe calls for 8. I guess whatever works for you and your crockpot. I haven't had a chance to make it yet but its on my list if I ever get to the grocery store again. lol
                        ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Liz, I wish my DH and DS would eat meatloaf. I LOVE the stuff. My dad makes a good italian one that is ground beef, egg, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, shredded mozzarella, and spaghetti sauce. He mixes the meat, egg, and bread crumbs, layers half in the bottom of a loaf pan, dumps some about 2 C. of cheese on top of that, then the rest of the meat mixture, then the sauce...then bakes it for maybe an hour at 350º. Awesome and so simple and cheap.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Liz, I wish my DH and DS would eat meatloaf. I LOVE the stuff. My dad makes a good italian one that is ground beef, egg, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, shredded mozzarella, and spaghetti sauce. He mixes the meat, egg, and bread crumbs, layers half in the bottom of a loaf pan, dumps some about 2 C. of cheese on top of that, then the rest of the meat mixture, then the sauce...then bakes it for maybe an hour at 350º. Awesome and so simple and cheap.
                            Recipe filed and duly noted. Thank you. DH and DS are freaks.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know! They won't do casseroles or soups of any sort, either. As a result I don't cook much. For a while I would spend time making things, then end up with a freezer full of leftovers or sick of eating the same things for days all by myself. Dorks.

~ Sarah Kay

I 2nd that. THat sounds amazing to me right now. I can't wait to bring home a crock pot, twill be better than my tuna-barley-pea-chili flavored concoction. Smile