Pain Behind knee? (Read 87 times)

StuartB

Please advise folks?

During my warm up for a Sprint Duathlon on Sunday I have pulled something directly behind my knee. It happened as soon as I broke into doing some strides. Its not  behind my knee cap its the back of the knee at the bend. I completed the race without too much discomfort. Only really noticed on the 2nd run after bike.

Its not that sore. Is a bit when i stretch my leg out or do some calf stretches though. Have done the rice thing since then and it has helped.

My question is though will I be okay to compete in a 10miler this Saturday? and any suggestions as to what muscle or tendon i have aggravated?

Thanks in advance

Stuart (Ireland)

SMART Approach

Any visible swelling red or is it popping out a bit? It could be a variety of things. The fact that you were able to complete the event is a good sign. It may be an inflamed bursa. You do have several around knee including posterior bursae on back of knee. They can act up with an injury or out of blue......you may have an injury also, inflamed tendon as a lot of attachment points on distal femur and proximal tibia. Take it easy this week. If it feels better Saturday, warm it up and give it a go but be prepared to not go 10 miles if sore. If it is a race this weekend, well that is another story. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

StuartB

No swelling or popping out behind the knee and have rested it all week. Is much better and fine when I walk, Can hardly feel it now unless I stretch it. Just the odd twinge when least expected walking up stairs. Going to try a light run Friday and if okay then going to do race on Saturday.

GlennFoster

Hello,
          Last month my brother was also dealing with knee pain after completing his workout. We had consulted with the doctor, as the doctor had given him medical treatment, but the doctor also had suggested him to have a warm water bath by installing a walk-in bathtub in Spokane Valley, because this bathtub had a feature of hydrotherapy jets that helps to reduce knee pain, and can decrease swelling and inflammation which will help to increase the circulation of the body.

thelma

Did you check for any swelling?

spinach

I had a knee surgery and for several months afterwards I had a Baker's cyst behind my knee that seems to make bending the knee difficult at times.  It felt like there was swelling behind my knee although I did not notice any swelling. My doctor said that this was some of the lubrication in the knee seeping out the back. I got, with his recommendation, a compression sleeve for the knee to force the lubrications to remain in my knee and not seeping out back. I now only wear the sleeve while i am running and i haven't had the baker's cyst come back.

I was told that the Baker's cyst is common after the surgery, I don't know how often it appears without the surgery, so this may not be your case, but i have found the compression sleeve (I like a tight one) to have helped a lot. Good luck and I hope you are okay if you ran the race.