Boston 2008 (Read 753 times)

this is why I run....

is there already a Boston 2008 thread? I started a user group. let me know if there is already one that I haven't found yet. thanks
      If there is I did not see it so I joined your group. Alas, I have nothing worth posting to it. Sad

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Along for the Ride

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/UBQ/ Here you guy guys - this is a very good group.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Carl A

Hi! There's a general Boston group: Road to Boston Modified to add: Thanks, Gabriele--you beat me to it by a few strides!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I saw the Road to Boston group. But from the description of the Boston 2008 it is for those running it in '08 not those trying to qualify while the RtB group is for those trying to qualify. Maybe I am just mixed up about what topics people are planning to discuss where? Confused

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

this is why I run....

thanks. I had not seen the "Road to boston" forum and will check it out. My intention in starting a new forum was to discuss with those who are definitely going to Boston 2008. I have already booked my flight and hotel and qualified in Chicago but have not yet actually registered for Boston 2008. I actually have an extra room booked which I may be able to give up closer to the date. so let's discuss: training plans for Boston 2008, travel plans, what's the weather going to be like? where are you planning to stay while there, etc. thanks
                Hi SJ, I'm staying in Brookline, in part b/c I used to live there and like the area. Last year I staying near Hopkinton as I used to live around there and wanted to try Boston from the start. This thread is a good idea--one year, a bunch of CRers got together for brunch on Sunday and there's usually a Maniac do at some bar after the race. I'm hoping to see the trials on Sunday--I suppose I should start looking into getting tickets for that, etc. The weather will be what it will be, with about 4 major changes in predictions the week ahead. grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                  I'm signed up, have a hotel reserved in Cambridge, and have started training. That said, I've been struggling with injuries, so I'm not buying plane tickets until I see how I'm doing by mid-Feb. I ran Boston last year in the "nor'easter". The weather didn't bother me that much during the race (except that I over-dressed). I ran 3:53:05, I was trying for a sub 3:40 (BQ'ed at Chicago 2006 with 3:42:34). The weather was really tough and demoralizing in in the 3 hours of the mud and slop at the Athlete's Village before the race. The cold wind ata the end of the race was also brutal. The worst was that some family members went along and we spent a week to take in the marathon experience and see the Boston-area sights, historical and other - we only had one day of decent weather, the rest was miserable. Sad In spite of that we enjoyed it enough to want to return. This year we're leaving Friday and returning Tuesday, hoping for better weather, and also hoping to see the women's Olympic Trials. Last Memorial Day weekend, I ran my marathon PR of 3:40 six weeks after Boston. I was on a good roll, until the end of June when I threw my back out doing yardwork. Angry I stopped running for a couple weeks, but should have taken more off. Then I got sciatica in one leg, then the other, had 6 weeks PT and MRI (showed L5/S1 degeneration, but not bad enough for surgery). I finally got the back under control, and got back to training by mid-August, but I ramped up too quickly (trying for an October half marathon), retriggered a little sciatica which led to tendonitis in the "good" leg, which then led to shin splints and a sore ankle in the other. Black eye The other bad thiong about last year's Boston was the winter training here in Wisconsin. This year has been worse yet. We've had close to a record snowfall in December and lots of ice (hard on the sore legs). I still want to get Back to Boston, but I'm not sure this will be the year. According to the BAA site, if you are injured after being accepted, and notify the race director by some date before the race, you can have your qualification deferred to the following year (still have to pay another entry fee, and no refund for this year). So, if I can't shake thiese injuries or they get worse, that's probably what I'll do. Good kuck to you at Boston '08!!
                    I'm hoping to see the trials on Sunday--I suppose I should start looking into getting tickets for that, etc.
                    Do you need tickets for the Trials??? The course of the race goes very near our hotel in Cambridge (one reason we selected it), and we just assumed we could find a spot along the course. Are you just referring to the finish area? If tickets are required, do you know where I can get info on them? Thanks!

this is why I run....

Last year I stayed in Hopkinton because I wanted to be close to the start and not have to get up so early. This part worked out really well but I did find it hard to get around out there. This year I'm staying downtown at some hotel. Guess I'll have to get up EARLY to take the bus tot he start......unless there is anyone else who wants to share a ride to the start. Hint Hint, nudge, nudge... I hate having to wait around for hours at the start. I think I'm suppose to get the bus at something like 7am for the 10:30am start! I bought plane tickets a month ago since they were on sale for really cheap. guess it's time to officially register.

this is why I run....

hey lakerunr, I finished right after you at about 3:56 but I had to go into the med tent as I thought I was going to faint/throw up/whatever.....the cold really got to me and the hills killed my legs. When people asked me how it was I said, all downhill for the first half and all uphill for the second half. that's how if felt to me. took me a week to recover. I also felt it wasn't the "experience" I was hoping for but that might have been because I was tavelling with my mother Smile who really doesn't appreciate running/racing and didn't really see the point of it all. this year I'm going with my hubby. He's also a runner but unfortunately didn't qualify.....yet Sad
                          Do you need tickets for the Trials??? The course of the race goes very near our hotel in Cambridge (one reason we selected it), and we just assumed we could find a spot along the course. Are you just referring to the finish area? If tickets are required, do you know where I can get info on them? Thanks!
                          You will be able to watch from the street and you won't need any tickets to see the trials. Perhaps there will be a VIP grandstand set up at the finish or something but anywhere along the course you'll be able to watch for free. The race expo and # pickup will be going on at the Hynes on Boylston Street and the race will pass by there several times. I'm planning to go in early on Sunday to do the packet pickup then walking around to see the trials race from a few spots.

Runners run

this is why I run....

dumb question, but I assume that the trials are run on the same route only the day before?
                              No the trials will actually use a loop course in Boston and Cambridge. They'll go around the loop 6 times making it really spectator friendly. There's a course map HERE. MTA: It uses the traditional Boston Marathon finish line, though.

Runners run

this is why I run....

thanks for the info Blush