Since nearly no one is talking about it... (Read 1266 times)

xor

Dude walks into a Seattle coffee shop in May.  Randomly shoots people.  He then leaves, somehow makes it downtown (nobody knows how), and shoots another lady to steal her car.  Then he went to another part of Seattle, bought a blueberry bush at a nursery and placed it on the porch of a former teacher's house.  Then he was spotted and gave police a quick merry chase... and shot himself.

I don't think social media exploded about that.

This guy killed five people and wounded many more.   There was no easy-to-understand reason.  These people were drinking coffee peacefully.

Where was this thread then?

The deal was, this happened before the Batman thing. 

BTW, the Batman thing... like the killings at Ft Hood... is/are interesting because the shooter lives.  Usually he does not and then we're stuck with "wow, we will never know".  There is a possibility, however slight, that we will learn what the deal was with Batman dude and Ft Hood dude.

I do not believe that will make things better.  Evil is evil.

A guy who walks into a temple/church/mosque/whatever and shoots worshipers is evil.  Same with a coffee house.

And, same with Joe in country who chooses to visit several homes and kill all the men, women, and children.

Evil is evil.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude walks into a Seattle coffee shop in May.  Randomly shoots people.  He then leaves, somehow makes it downtown (nobody knows how), and shoots another lady to steal her car.  Then he went to another part of Seattle, bought a blueberry bush at a nursery and placed it on the porch of a former teacher's house.  Then he was spotted and gave police a quick merry chase... and shot himself.

I don't think social media exploded about that.

This guy killed five people and wounded many more.   There was no reason.  These people were drinking coffee peacefully.

Where was this thread then?

Locally I'm sure it did, though, correct?  We had a very similar occurrence in this area about a year ago.  It was in part a crime of passion between a man and his ex and their child.  Other un-related bystanders were also killed during and subsequent to a high speed chase (involving a car he jacked) and the shooter committed suicide after a long standoff with police.  I doubt our local story made news much outside of MI, either, perhaps because it wasn't entirely random and wasn't concentrated on a single locale.

I can't answer why location of seemingly similar tragedies makes such a difference in the scope of how stories are reported.  Virginia Tech made huge news.  NIU seemed to have been a lot lower-profile in terms of coverage, by comparison.  Clearly there is perception among many of us that the attention given to the Aurora theater shootings vs. the Oak Creek temple shootings is noticeably different.  While I'm noticing it in the realm of social media, others are noticing a contrast in the mainstream media.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW, the Batman thing... like the killings at Ft Hood... is/are interesting because the shooter lives.  Usually he does not and then we're stuck with "wow, we will never know".  There is a possibility, however slight, that we will learn what the deal was with Batman dude and Ft Hood dude.

I do not believe that will make things better.  Evil is evil.

A guy who walks into a temple/church/mosque/whatever and shoots worshipers is evil.  Same with a coffee house.

And, same with Joe in country who chooses to visit several homes and kill all the men, women, and children.

Evil is evil.

Agreed.  Whether the shooter lives or dies doesn't reverse history, unfortunately.  An angle I hope will be given MUCH more emphasis in the future is mental health treatment and identification of potentially dangerous individuals--both recent shooters apparently had raised red flags.  I have my own teenage history dating a guy (Jon Bartlett, former Milwaukee cop, if anyone's interested in reading back on that case) who will spend the rest of his life in federal prison for numerous offenses, including a hate crime against a bi-racial man, purchasing ammo with a fake ID, and calling in a bomb threat to the police precinct that he was on leave from after beating said man at a party.  

I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who perpetrates these sorts of crimes is not on good mental footing.  And this is a failure of our healthcare and social services system, whether in terms of actual care/diagnosis or access to medication and/or therapy for these individuals.

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

Heh.

The definition of HEH is "Cynical laugh"
              Interesting response... don't think any of this is worth laughing about.

(but I'm guessing that you think you proved your point).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

There really shouldn't be an expectation that a hate crime involving a temple should be handled "the same as" a dude who shoots up a theater/coffee house/whatever.

There really shouldn't be an expectation that the coverage of such should unfold the same way.

They are not the same thing.  It isn't so much that the Sikh thing is being "swept under the rug" (???) as it was the Batman thing was played up bigger than lots of other things.  Dude shot almost 100 people, boobytrapped his apartment, and is still around to stare at. That's a bunch of stuff.

But they aren't the same.

Honestly, this feels like a bandwagon thing... a meme.  And that is unseemly.

Meaning making, inasmuch as meaning CAN be made in a senseless shooting, will occur over time.  Because it is the right thing to do.

It is completely fair to ponder the racial/cultural implications here.  And that is happening as part of the meaning making.  But overplaying that card comes with a huge cost that does at least as much damage as good.

People who were minding their own business in a place of worship were slaughtered without provocation or the ability to defend themselves... probably simply because they were different.  And maybe because they were perceived to be similar to something else.  We will never know for sure... but we can work to adjust views.

Fuck Batman and facebook. 

xor

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The definition of HEH is "Cynical laugh"
                    Interesting response... don't think any of this is worth laughing about.

(but I'm guessing that you think you proved your point).

Interesting...and I have never seen heh "defined" in that manner.  I've never thought of a chuckle = cynical laugh.  The Onion is good stuff, especially in light of comments made by Bachmann prior to Sunday.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, fine...I'm wrong, you're all completely right, have a nice day.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think you make a very valid point, and this is likely the core of it.  But it happened on OUR soil to our people, turbans or no turbans.  The religious aspect of it shouldn't matter.  Isn't that the founding purpose of the US?

You're arguing should.  Should is the world we want, not the world we live in.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't mind healthy disagreement and intelligent discourse, but I chuckled at the Onion thing, too.  I think it's kinda dumb to pile on over that.

The Onion is satirical.  It's supposed to be funny.  And it was poking fun at Michelle Bachmann, not the shooting victims.

Lighten up, Francis.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't mind healthy disagreement and intelligent discourse, but I chuckled at the Onion thing, too.  I think it's kinda dumb to pile on over that.

The Onion is satirical.  It's supposed to be funny.  And it was poking fun at Michelle Bachmann, not the shooting victims.

Lighten up, Francis.

Uh, yeah. Agree. Its the Onion for Phelps sakes.

xor

I'm not the one who started a giant nasty thread calling everyone out and apparently took pot shots on folks in other places too.

I get the onion.  I get the satire.  And for goodness sake... "poking fun at the shooting victims"... that doesn't need to be said, yikes.

And, btw, the idea that it has already shown up in the onion... as focused on MB... shows that the idea that there's a meme going down here isn't completely From Space.

Not sure this is the proper response from the Sikh's, but I understand the anger and disappointment.

I think they're burning a picture of the US flag and blaming the US for not protecting Sikh's.

Bad situation, but India blaming the US for this incident seems like a little irrational.

(We struggle to protect anybody from crazy people).

Yeah. I think I'd go with hypocritical, as opposed to irrational, considering this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_anti-Sikh_riots