Since nearly no one is talking about it... (Read 1266 times)

Sikhs mad at about what happened in the USA are hypocritical because 28 years ago there was much larger violence against them in India? 

This thread probably isn't doing anyone any good.  Nobody here likes it when bad things happen to innocent people.  Isn't that enough?  I think I'm going to head for a RunningAhead self impossed blackout.

Julia1971

OK, fine...I'm wrong, you're all completely right, have a nice day.

I hate entering nuclear threads, but if it makes you feel any better, I think I understood what you were trying to say. If my friends normally blow up my feed after these types of tragedies and they were silent now, I might go, "Hmmm". As it is, most of my friends are narcissists like me and only post about themselves. You have a nice day, too... Watch the Cookie Monster's version of "Call Me Maybe". It'll cheer you right up. (That's the kind of stuff I post on FB).

Sikhs mad at about what happened in the USA are hypocritical because 28 years ago there was much larger violence against them in India? 

This thread probably isn't doing anyone any good.  Nobody here likes it when bad things happen to innocent people.  Isn't that enough?  I think I'm going to head for a RunningAhead self impossed blackout.

No, the Indian government criticizing the US for not protecting Sikhs is hypocritical, especially in light of Human Rights Watch's 2011 findings about the Indian govt's involvement in the genocide. The Sikh's response to what happened in the US, actually, is even more understandable, considering the persecutions they've endured in India.

Aaaand I'm done with this thread too. Too many knee-jerk assumptions. I'm sure we can at least all agree that the killings were an evil act, and evil sucks.

Interesting...and I have never seen heh "defined" in that manner.  I've never thought of a chuckle = cynical laugh.  The Onion is good stuff, especially in light of comments made by Bachmann prior to Sunday.

Zoomy,

I really didn't know how it was defined or how I was supposed to interpret it until I googled it. 

I wanted to better understand what your response was.  My response was more disgust (towards Bachman) and couldn't think of chuckling about stupid comments like that. 

But, now, I guess that she didn't actually say those things...

I don't know anything about The Onion (I know, I may live in a cave...).  I'm guessing, based on other responses, that I got fooled.  If y'all knew about what the onion was, and I didn't, I apologize for sounding off the way I did.  The 'heh' may have been appropriate if it was known to be satire.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

Zoomy - Sorry you feel angry toward some of us.  To me it has nothing to do with if you are right and I am wrong, we were just discussing our opinions.

Most of the flags (not all) are still at half mast today in the city where I live.  Sadly my building's flag is not at half mast.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

The Onion is a totally fabricated paper that spoofs and satires real issues - The real issue here is that a number of ignorant American's might have said or feel exactly what is written.  That is the central part of what we are debating in this thread - Not that there are some ignorant or apathetic people in the United States, but the percent of ingrorant or apathetic people in the USA.

By the Onion spoofing it the way they did, they are agreeing with Zoomy that the number is fairly high.

The Onion is always classless - But often very humorous and sometimes they make classless bold statements about our society - That is what their angle is this time - Similar to the more classy way Zoomy was approaching the subject.

Their goal is to be the opposite of PC

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The 'heh' may have been appropriate if it was known to be satire.

I don't know when "heh" suddenly became the official interjection of the cynical; I looked it up on dictionary.com and found pretty much what I always thought it meant.

heh1

an exclamation of surprise or inquiry

heh2

an indication of sly amusing, used esp. in electronic communication

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Onion = Satire.

I did not even have to look it up in the dictionary.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

One version of "sly amusing", perhaps, is "providing a response of amusement as viewed through the lens of cynicism".  One version.  Not trying to be right v wrong.

Apologies for seeming to upset about 'heh' and The Onion.  I could try to explain that, but honestly it doesn't matter.

My responses to this thread are all viewed through the original post in this thread which seemed to be calling lots of us out as bigots.  If I were still on facebook, my posts would not have been in the 3 that got counted.

We should all continue to self-evaluate how we view others and stuff that is different from how we are.  But calling us out as bigots, whether directly or implied, is very harsh.  Especially based on facebook posts.  It's facebook.   And this is illustrative of why I gave it up.  Facebook is to real life what a funhouse mirror is to a normal mirror.

And apologies for coming across as attack-y.  I'm done with that.  Personally, and on behalf of many of the same folks we call "friends", I felt weirdly attacked.

I have very mixed feelings about this thread. And have tried to stay away from it. But now feel myself getting sucked in. On the one hand there is an important point being made here. If the shooter had been Muslim and the victims in a church. There probably would have been more Facebook chatter. I get that. And that there is racism towards brown skinned people. I get that too. 

However, the original poster was very negative and somewhat hypocritical. I think there were ways of getting people to share her outrage without attacking them. She chastises others for the their selective outrage. Saying that people on Facebook were outraged about all these other cases, but not this case because the people are of a different race. However, then in later posts admits that she is especially sensitive to this case because of a significant other or husband (sorry for not recalling) that is Muslim. So the thread starter is criticizing others for their lack of outrage, only to later admit somewhat of a selective outrage herself. Then there is the connection towards the way Muslims are profiled in the airport.  That is way out in left field and doesn't relate to this case.

So I'm forced to feel that the thread starter has her own racial bias's. The post that was sent out I feel had nasty and inappropriate tone. It basically attempted to guilt many of the subsequent posters to explain why they weren't racist for not discussing this shooting. Personally I feel that a better approach would have been to go onto social media and post a "My heart goes out the the victims of the Sikh Temple shooting in Wisconsin. Please repost this if you feel that an attack on one group of Americans is an attack on all Americans. " Then encourage your real friends to repost it. I think that is the type of positive message that would go viral. 

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Saying that people on Facebook were outraged about all these other cases, but not this case because the people are of a different race. However, then in later posts admits that she is especially sensitive to this case because of a significant other or husband (sorry for not recalling) that is Muslim. So the thread starter is criticizing others for their lack of outrage, only to later admit somewhat of a selective outrage herself. Then there is the connection towards the way Muslims are profiled in the airport.  That is way out in left field and doesn't relate to this case.

Incorrect.  Go back and read it more carefully.  I am not related to anyone who is Muslim nor am I close friends with any Muslim followers.  My spouse is of Dutch and English descent and is Atheist.  His parents are American.  My FIL was completing his PhD coursework at the American University in Cairo when he was born.

My future SIL is half Syrian, but also not Muslim.  Her parents are Christians.  She is more or less agnostic or non-religious.

You don't think racial profiling has anything to do with the shootings?  700 Sikhs in the US, alone, targeted wrongly as Muslims since 9/11 might disagree.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You don't think racial profiling has anything to do with the shootings?  700 Sikhs in the US, alone, targeted wrongly as Muslims since 9/11 might disagree.

Of course it was racial profiling, but by an ignorant, radical, psycho neo nazi. That's hardly the profile of the average person. The average person doesn't want to go out and kill someone, even if they disagree vehemently with their beliefs. 

I'm with SRL on this whole thread. Frankly, I could not care less if something is discussed on social media. Even though my financial livelihood depends on it, I rarely use it. I find it annoying and too much self promoting by many that do.

The media is indeed covering this event. I'm not sure what else you expect to be done or said that will make you feel better. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Watch the Cookie Monster's version of "Call Me Maybe". It'll cheer you right up. (That's the kind of stuff I post on FB).

Heh (not cynical).  Share it Maybe.  Totally redeems that song.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry for not getting your personal details right. But it seems like you misunderstood my post as well.

I didn't take issue with your statement so much as your tone. You basically attacked people for not posting about this attack, when they posted about other attacks. My point is if you felt that this issue deserved more attention why not use a positive tone to get that message across. Putting people on the defensive and calling them racist isn't the way to get them to want to take up the cause.

You don't get people to support AIDS research by attacking them for supporting Cancer and ignoring AIDS. You send out a positive message about  why AIDS is also worthy of attention.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.