why get a Garmin GPS? (Read 1213 times)

Otium cum dignitate

I'm in the process of choosing between a garmin 205 and 50 to help ramp-up my training. If the prices were still $200 vs. $140, the decision would be an easy one - I'd get the 50; but since they are currently close to being on par, I'm conflicted. Is it worth having what seems like a small-sized suitcase on your wrist in order to benefit from the features of the 205 (much of which I really don't even understand)? Or should I go for the stripped down 50 without the GPS (why do I need more than to measure spead, pace and distance)? Please note: I'm not made of money, so the watch I choose, I'll have to live with for the duration.

My Hero

I love the 205 because when running I can see the pace I'm at and how far I've gone. Thats all I use it for on the run. After the run, I down load it so I can see all of my my splits. That's all I pretty much use it for.I don't use it during races (long story) and I probably won't get another one. I have had problems with Garmin. I'm on my second one in a year and it's on the fritz again.

Otium cum dignitate

Thanks for the reply. I can't think of what I'd need it for besides pace and distance, either, so I guess that's an argument in favor of the lower-tech Forerunner 50. I thought someone might make suggest that I leave the door open to "grow in to" the 205's capabilities.
          I am a big!!!! fan of the 305. I would suggest it first and foremost. My guess is that eventually you will want to upgrade after trying the 50 or 205, and for sure the Heart rate is worth having. Even now that the rebate is no longer available, I can't think of any piece of gear that gives more bang for the buck. You can currently pick one up on amazon.com for $185.(that gives you satellite speed and distance as well as heart rate) I am now on my third heart rate monitor/speed distance watch,(two expensive Suuntos) and my favorite BY FAR is the 305(it was also the cheapest) So I can't really offer up any stronger opinion in favor of a piece of equipment. The Garmin forerunner 305 is awsome.
            I just got a 305 and it's not as big as you think. My first run was totally comfortable with it, no less comfortable than my regular watch. I see no advantage in getting less technology for the same price.

I just got a 305 and it's not as big as you think. My first run was totally comfortable with it, no less comfortable than my regular watch. I see no advantage in getting less technology for the same price.
              About the same, although I still use my regular sports watch on most of my runs.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Otium cum dignitate

With the 405 coming out soon, I was thinking one of the Garmin's would eventually dip below my price threshold of $100 - probably the 50, but since I'm looking to train better for a spring marathon than I did for my first in autumn (which nearly ended me), maybe I shouldn't wait. The suggestion that I go for the biggest 'bang' for the buck (thanks greenrunning) makes sense ... I guess I'll fork out the $136 ($150 at the nerds.com and price protected down to $136 from Zappos) for a 205.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What they said. ^^^ I will say that come Summer I may not feel that way when I have a HUGE white glob on my wrist in the middle of a tanned arm. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Otium cum dignitate

What they said. ^^^ I will say that come Summer I may not feel that way when I have a HUGE white glob on my wrist in the middle of a tanned arm. Tongue k
                    Since I'm more prone to turning bright red than tanned brown in the summer, I'll galdly accept the 205 as very expensive sun-block in addition to being a training watch - for that price, the more it multi-tasks, the better!
                    Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Since I'm more prone to turning bright red than tanned brown in the summer, I'll galdly accept the 205 as very expensive sun-block in addition to being a training watch - for that price, the more it multi-tasks, the better!
                      You and me both. I never tan, I only burn.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Runner

Am I right in that the 405's main atractive points are. A) It is smaller than the 205/305 B) It automatically sends information to a CPU Also I noted where Garmin is supposed to be coming out with some updated software to make the 305 more capable of providing a detailed training summary? I am really considering getting a 305 as my ironman is about to actually bite the dust(the buttons only work part of the time so I have to smack it a lil to get it to work... I think the rubber around them that are part of the band on my particular model has caused the buttons to get hung). I'd feel kind of geeky with that big hunk o technology on my wrist but I might be willing to cope with it if it is as good of a training tool as it seems it could be. Thanks!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Am I right in that the 405's main atractive points are. A) It is smaller than the 205/305 B) It automatically sends information to a CPU Also I noted where Garmin is supposed to be coming out with some updated software to make the 305 more capable of providing a detailed training summary? I am really considering getting a 305 as my ironman is about to actually bite the dust(the buttons only work part of the time so I have to smack it a lil to get it to work... I think the rubber around them that are part of the band on my particular model has caused the buttons to get hung). I'd feel kind of geeky with that big hunk o technology on my wrist but I might be willing to cope with it if it is as good of a training tool as it seems it could be. Thanks!
                          Hey, other bonuses with the 305 - 1) On a hot day instead of wearing it you can hold it over your head while you run and get some shade. 2) If you have kids they can wear it around their waists and pretend it is a boxing or wrestling championship belt. No, seriously, it's not that big. It is surprisingly not big (thats what she said?). I was immediately comfortable wearing it and look forward to my runs more now because I don't have to stick to my normal routes.

Runner

I took advantage of the amazon deal at 185... I know I probably could have gotten it cheaper but I have had good luck in the past w/ them. The garmin like stated earlier is not very cumbersome. It looks big but is not any more noticeable than a regular watch. It is a great tool. I imediately noticed after just one run that it allows me to notice when pace falls a little and I can pick it back up and maintain a little more steady run. I really think it will be a great tool to help my training. Thanks all for recomending it and putting my mind at ease about the isssues that I had in thinking it might just be a big hunk of tech that I'd not use and enjoy.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler