Polar bear dip (Read 153 times)

I'm about to leave for my annual jump into mother ocean. Anyone else doing that?

I was considering doing the Polar Bear Dip 5k  in Kirkland but instead did 5.5 miles of intervals on the track here in Monroe.   been meeting a friend for our Wed am (6 am) track session for a few mths now & its just part of my weekly schedule now.   good start on 2014.  but Polar Bear Dip would have been too!

Where  did you go dipping?   was it part of a race or community event?

dennrunner

Nah, I thought I would stay home and just hit myself in the head with a hammer.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You people are crazy!

steph  

Where  did you go dipping?   was it part of a race or community event?

Happy New Year Neal(and all).  It's a goofy community event -jump off the dock across from the Nordland store on Marrowstone island- (across from Pt Townsend). a couple on hundred people- around 100 jump in. We play tuba and accordion music before and after. Fun event- anyone in the NW should come give it a try! Been doing it for many years.

MTA: a polar bear 5 K, now that sounds interesting.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yeah, I might be able to bring myself to do that, but there would be no brass instrument playing afterward.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

There was a Penguin Plunge option after this morning's 5/10K.  Would get you a free pub glass, and I collect them.

Air temp: 20F

Water temp: 40F

I declined to participate.

Tiefsa

A co-worker did this in Lake Michigan.  He said it was brutal.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

My local running club did their annual "Dip in Da Crick" on New Year's Day.  Outside temp was 27, water temp was 40.  No thanks.

After the local New Year"s day fun run put on by my running club, there was a Polar Plunge (said facetiously I assume) to benefit a local good cause. I didn't do it this year, but air temp was mid-70s and water temp was in the mid-60s in the Gulf of Mexico. Not really much of an ordeal. I frequently hop in the Gulf after an evening run to get the sweat off, did so two days ago and it was invigorating, not even close to as cold as Salisbury Beach (MA) in July.

that sounds like a lot of fun & now I expect a formal invitation next year!  I seriously need to add a race this year over on the peninsula.  very beautiful area. water temp around 50?  I could bring some of my homebrewed beer over for you to try.

theres a trail running event next Sat at Bridle trails SP (Kirkland/Bellevue).  5/10/50 milers/50k if you have nothing going on. I was stupid & signed up for the 10.4 miler.

Happy new year to you as well!

Happy New Year Neal(and all).  It's a goofy community event -jump off the dock across from the Nordland store on Marrowstone island- (across from Pt Townsend). a couple on hundred people- around 100 jump in. We play tuba and accordion music before and after. Fun event- anyone in the NW should come give it a try! Been doing it for many years.

MTA: a polar bear 5 K, now that sounds interesting.

that sounds like a lot of fun & now I expect a formal invitation next year!  I seriously need to add a race this year over on the peninsula.  very beautiful area. water temp around 50?  I could bring some of my homebrewed beer over for you to try.

theres a trail running event next Sat at Bridle trails SP (Kirkland/Bellevue).  5/10/50 milers/50k if you have nothing going on. I was stupid & signed up for the 10.4 miler.

Happy new year to you as well!

I run the Rhody Run in Pt Townsend every year- 12K family friendly type event. It's a lot of fun. There is the North Peninsula Discovery trail Marathon or what ever it's called- did that a couple of times. Sequim to Pt Angeles. First half just runs around town but the last half is pretty nice.

Just saw your post- did you actually go out and run in this nasty weather?

yea I ran the Bridle Trails Winter Running Festival.  It was very very nasty weather.  helped set up a little & did the registration table also.

very cold when standing around even under  cover.  race started 35 minutes late because of the weather.  There was a chance that it was going to be canceled.  Park Ranger left & let the decision rest on the race director.  Part of the reason it was so late was because someone went up into the trees with a chainsaw to cut the 5 trees that had fallen across the trails.    wind was howling, rain at times coming down hard sideways.  It was actually better once we finally started & got up into the trails & the trees. My shoes, socks were soaked even before start of race.  Toes were almost frozen. Once running & warmed up it was great.  It was a fantastic race with very enthusiatic runners.    used my  headlamp starting about 1/2 way through on 2nd lap of 5.2 mile loop.   quite a few runners did the 50k which was 6x around the loop.  Did not stick around to see how that ended because weather was still nasty & needed to get toes warmed again!

Every year I  think of coming over to your side & run the North Discovery Trail Marathon.  Will see how things go this year.  have heard its a great & beautiful course.  maybe this year?  will see how schedule works out.

I will be doing my second one a week from Friday.  Raises money for Ronald McDonald house.  in 2012, the wind was brutal but temps weren't too bad for Maine.  Water and air temps were right around 32-33.  A couple shots of tequila before and after helped.  I was in the water maybe 20-25 seconds.  Run in waist-deep, completely submerge, then try to get the legs to work as you stumble out of the water.  The beach seems a long way as your legs go numb.  Long range forecast shows 22 deg for this year.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I will be doing my second one a week from Friday.  Raises money for Ronald McDonald house.  in 2012, the wind was brutal but temps weren't too bad for Maine.  Water and air temps were right around 32-33.  A couple shots of tequila before and after helped.  I was in the water maybe 20-25 seconds.  Run in waist-deep, completely submerge, then try to get the legs to work as you stumble out of the water.  The beach seems a long way as your legs go numb.  Long range forecast shows 22 deg for this year.

Is it at the East End Beach in Portland?  I have never been brave enough to try that.