Article: How your menstrual cycle affects your running. (Read 1796 times)

Bugs

OK, if we can talk about poop, the guys should be able to handle this too:
    How Your Menstrual Cycle Affects Performance With all the changes in hormone levels that occur during your menstrual cycle, you'd expect speed workouts to suffer during your period, right? Wrong. Surprisingly, near the end of your period, your body is actually geared to pegging track workouts and tempo runs. However, your long, slow runs will suffer. Read on to learn how your training and racing is affected by your menstrual cycle. The fluctuation of your energy levels Your menstrual cycle is composed of three phases. The first phase, generally days one through thirteen (the first three to seven days being menstruation), is called the follicular phase and is marked by relatively low levels of estrogen, except for a spike near day fourteen. The next phase, called ovulation begins on day fourteen. The remainder of the cycle, days fifteen through 28 of the average 28-day cycle, is called the luteal phase and is characterized by moderately high and stable levels of estrogen. Estrogen levels are important because estrogen is the key hormone affecting not only your cycle, but also the type of fuel available for your working muscles. Studies have shown that low levels (in the follicular phase) favor the breakdown of quick energy stores (muscle glycogen) whereas high levels (in the luteal phase) favor fat-burning, lower lactic acid levels and glycogen sparing. How does this relate to training? Say you've planned your track workouts for every Wednesday. You go to the track during your follicular phase (low estrogen) and hit all your repeats right on. You leave the track with confidence and excitement. A few weeks later, you go to the track but you're now in the luteal phase (high estrogen). You feel sluggish, tired and lethargic. You feel like you have a totally different body. You leave the track doubting your abilities and your training program, despite the fact that your long runs have been successful. Don't feel discouraged, though. It's not for lack of training that you're performing this way, it's the way your body is fueling your workouts. In the follicular phase you benefit from a quick breakdown of carbohydrates for speed and efficiency. Your body is primed for providing quick energy for fast running In the luteal phase, however, your body is in the fat-breakdown mode – fueling your workout primarily through increased utilization of fat. Since fat is a source of slower, more sustained energy than carbohydrates, your intensity may suffer during the luteal phase. Basically you're trying to run high-octane workouts on low-octane fuel. In other words, during the luteal phase your long, slow runs will feel easier and require less recovery time because your body will take advantage of increased fat breakdown. In the follicular phase your tempo runs and interval training will feel easier because you'll be accessing quick energy through carbohydrates. Of course, this doesn't mean you shouldn't do long-distance workouts in the follicular phase or tempo workouts in the luteal phase. Just keep in mind that faster running may feel harder in the luteal phase, while slower running may feel more difficult in the follicular phase. With this new understanding of your menstrual cycle and the fueling mechanisms that change from phase to phase, don't view your cycle as a training disadvantage but rather a training secret. Use what nature gave you as your ergogenic aid and have confidence in your training. Sorry, men, but maybe estrogen is the wonder hormone after all!
    I've noticed a difference, but I thought the article was interesting and plan to see if I notice any changes during the month.

Bugs

A Saucy Wench

Interesting...so plan short races during the follicular phase and marathons during the luteal phase...Can we get race organizers on board?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Interesting...so plan short races during the follicular phase and marathons during the luteal phase...Can we get race organizers on board?
        Uh....unless you all start having your cycles at the same time of the month, I don't think the race organizers can do much. And God help us if you all "synchronize" Shocked (That was just so wrong)
          And God help us if you all "synchronize" Shocked (That was just so wrong)
          ROFLMAO

Michelle

A Saucy Wench

Uh....unless you all start having your cycles at the same time of the month, I don't think the race organizers can do much. And God help us if you all "synchronize" Shocked (That was just so wrong)
            I dont know...don't you think you would prefer it? Think...you could all go run and hide at the SAME time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I dont know...don't you think you would prefer it? Think...you could all go run and hide at the SAME time.
              Big grin That's true. One week a month the men would all be packing up and heading to some women-free village.

Michelle

Bugs

We'd kill everybody. Maybe there can be age & cycle categories. It is an added benifit to marathon taper, where I would assume the estrogen levels increase. There is probably something you can buy to pee on, and then will want Eric to allow us to log our estrogen levels versus race times. Smile

Bugs

Ojo

Interesting. Doesn't take into account cramps, crabbiness, bloating, and of course crying over nothing. Marathon 6 days away . . . just saying! Cry MTA: LLR . . . no not yet!

Sara

MM #2929

Giants Fan

I find that article very interesting because I know I notice a difference depending on where I am on how I run. I always find it hard to find the energy right before I start....I'm so sluggish, lazy, just want to sit around and eat chocolate! So, it makes sense now. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Bugs

I read an interview with Deena Kastor right before the marathon trials and she made reference to her troubles before the 2007 Boston marathon. She was asked, "what problems did you have?" She said, "I don't think I want to talk about women's issues with the press." Wonder what it could have been?

Bugs

Queen of 3rd Place

So what happens at menopause? Switch to shorter races? And if you want to race far, do you reach for the estrogen supplements? At what distance do you need them? Wait, could estrogen therefore be considered a performance-enhancing drug? Arla

Ex runner