Runner cuts course in Florida HM, places 2nd, later finishes the course by bike, apologizes only after being caught by a marathon investigator. Do you accept the apology? (Read 268 times)

A very interesting read including how she was caught:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/23/how-an-ohio-blogger-discovered-a-runner-a-harvard-grad-cheating-in-a-half-marathon-across-the-county/?utm_term=.fd3af9b87af0

For more information on situations like this, check our Derek Murphy's blog. He investigates suspicious marathon times (especially those with Boston Qualifying times who miss timing mats and have suspiciously fast splits during those missing sections of the races)

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/

kcam

The young lady'd be a helluva politician ... cheating, lying, coverups, Ivy league.  She checks every box.

rlopez

Yes, she cheated and that sucks.

Derek and "marathoninvestigations" makes me twitchy, though. Nobody asked him to do this... he is trying to gain fame outing horrible, awful cheaters. Whatever. Sometimes he indeed outs horrible awful cheaters. Other times, he outs people who were minding their own business... and sometimes didn't do anything wrong. He will cheerfully take you off his naughty list when you can show you didn't do something he's published that you have done. But that is weird and backward. One shouldn't have to prove innocence to some yahoo who is only doing this so he himself can get famous. Especially when he does this with crap information and the target didn't do anything.

But cheating sucks. This person definitely did and got caught. 

I won't be advertising his amazing blog though. We've become an internet of shamers.

mikeymike

People are strange. I don't get the cheaters, and I really don't get the internet vigilantes.

Runners run

People are strange. I don't get the cheaters, and I really don't get the internet vigilantes.

It takes a strange sad person to cheat. It takes a strangely interested person to go out of their way to vilify the cheater. I mean, yeah, she completely horribly cheated. It was wrong. And awful. But, there are about 20 people who should really care about this - the runner, the race people, the people whose awards she screwed up. Her team. Any psuedo-sponsors. Maybe some people close to her whose trust is important. That's about it. Other than that it's just gawking entertainment.

And this thread title...This one's called... longest title in the Pearl Jam catalog. "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town." 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3,...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

With me being on the BQ bubble (I'm like the Valparaiso of running), I am all in favor of any website that outs BQ cheaters and gets them booted.

This chick went above and beyond the call of cheating duty.  The cheating, the outing, and the reaction is all pretty fascinating.    

<3

With me being on the BQ bubble (I'm like the Valparaiso of running), 

I hear you're running Colchester this weekend, so your Strength of Schedule numbers should be decently high.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Prince of Fatness

I really don't get the internet vigilantes.

+1

Not at it at all. 

I love these stories and the internet vigilantes.  They are entertaining.  Everyone appreciates a cheater brought to justice.  If only Derek could get a hold of Trump's tax returns...

This post brought to you by Primitive Radio Gods - "Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand"

Other than that it's just gawking entertainment.  

Lazy idiot

And this thread title...This one's called... longest title in the Pearl Jam catalog. "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town." 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3,...

*swoon*

Tick tock

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I really don't get the internet vigilantes.

I don't know.  I really enjoyed Laz busting that British twit who was going for the trans-US record.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mikeymike

I don't know.  I really enjoyed Laz busting that British twit who was going for the trans-US record.

I'll admit that was interesting. But he didn't do it over the internet (granted he did it in response to an investigation that started on the internet) and the trans-US record seems like a bigger deal than some woman running a 1:21 half marathon.

Runners run

The young lady'd be a helluva politician ... cheating, lying, coverups, Ivy league.  She checks every box.

LOL!  If you look at her picture she really looks like someone who could run a fast half marathon.  Image is everything!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

npaden

I found it interesting.  I was discussing this with my wife last night, just not being able to comprehend why someone would cheat.

Then again, I'm signed up for a huge downhill marathon this spring (it drops over 5,000') hoping to get a BQ out of that.  I regularly tell people who don't even care that essentially I'm cheating by running the downhill course to qualify, but I am doing it to qualify.  The race sold out this year in only it's 2nd year because so many people who ran it last year BQ'd.

To me this will probably be my PR marathon and I'm not sure whether to include it or not as a PR.

It's all Boston's fault!!

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Then again, I'm signed up for a huge downhill marathon this spring (it drops over 5,000') hoping to get a BQ out of that.  I regularly tell people who don't even care that essentially I'm cheating by running the downhill course to qualify, but I am doing it to qualify.  The race sold out this year in only it's 2nd year because so many people who ran it last year BQ'd.

Don't worry, we prepared a "*" to put next to your name.

Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do