Be my savior - Shoe help needed. (Read 578 times)

I am feeling a calling towards a more minimalistic approach. I want a shoe with a low heel and a fairly thin sole. Many racing flats fall into this category. However I am a big fellow with wide feet. I need a 13 wide. I went to my local running store and tried on everything they had available. I liked the support/ride from several shoes. However none of them where wide enough for my feet. I need a shoe with a large toe box, particularly around my pinky toes. I was informed by the store clerks that nobody makes flats in wide any longer. Anybody have any suggestions?
    RunsForCake

In the June issue of Runner's World they have a small article in the shoe guide about natural running. They specifically mention the Nike Free Everyday, Newton Gravity and the Ecco Biom. All are lighter, lower to the ground, have low heels and flexible forefoot. I haven't tried any on but maybe you could try them on and see if they fit the bill. Good luck!
        I don't see any evidence of widths in the Newtons or the Ecco Bioms. The Nike free is available in up to a D which might be enough. Normally I need at least a D often an E in width.
        mikeymike

Asics Speedstar. Not a flat but a lightweight trainer. I don't think they come in widths but they have a wide toebox.

Runners run

Yea I see nothing about widths with the speedstars. I would love to try on a pair though if I get the opportunity.

will run for popsicles

i've got pretty wide feet and a lot of shoes rub my pinkies. i've had really good luck with all the asics racers. i'm currently running in the bandidos (it's posted so not quite so flat) but also the hyperspeed 2 and piranha fit me great. they don't come in widths, but again, i've got a fat little foot and the same pinky rub you're talking about, so maybe they would work. good luck!