3 Hour Long Run - How Often (Read 2921 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Bobev, I'd still try to convince her that running itself is necessary for your happiness. 

I'm working on it! But it has to be done smartly because she will could become compulsively against it! Don't want that to happen.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

So is the main drawback to a 3hr run, the recovery required?

So if you're a freak who considers 3 hours a medium run,then presumably you don't have a recovery problem...

The way I did my 3hrs runs, using Gallowalking, almost no recovery was necessary. By running 1min, walking 1min for 3hrs I wasn't sore within an hour after the run. So I would think it depends on how easy one makes such a long run.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

ymmv

Bobev, I'd still try to convince her that running itself is necessary for her happiness. 

Fixed.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Fixed.

LOL! now back to work!

bob e v

Hannibal Granite

The way I did my 3hrs runs, using Gallowalking, almost no recovery was necessary. By running 1min, walking 1min for 3hrs I wasn't sore within an hour after the run. So I would think it depends on how easy one makes such a long run.

Of course many would not consider walking for half the time really a 3-hr "run".  You were on your feet moving forward for three hours, which certainly has some training value, but isn't really a three hour training run the way most would think about it.  Some people may even say that if you have to walk that much you're going to far (or running to fast) and you should slow down and/or not go for as long. 

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

ymmv

Of course many would not consider walking for half the time really a 3-hr "run".  You were on your feet moving forward for three hours, which certainly has some training value, but isn't really a three hour training run the way most would think about it.  Some people may even say that if you have to walk that much you're going to far (or running to fast) and you should slow down and/or not go for as long. 

I don't run my entire 3-4 hours either. This time of year, I stop twice for water during a 20 mile run. I try to make those stops last under 5 minutes. I run on a year-round supported training course that has water every 2 miles or so, and in the summer, I make more stops, based on need.

A while back, in a traditional marathon training program, I noticed that while the first 2 of the 20 mile training runs were pretty hard, the 3rd 20 mile run was not as difficult. I wondered what would happen with a 4th, and a 5th 20 miler. I kept doing them and eventually, I found that I had sort of gotten used to it. This year, I have done a long run every saturday that I can manage, as part of a higher mileage effort, driven somewhat by a yearly mileage goal. I think I am faster in all of my races this year than I was last year. I have no books or articles that say this is a good thing, it's just what I have observed about myself.  As others have said, the total mileage probably means more than the individual long runs. I'm not fast, but I am faster than I was last year. I think I'll do more races leading up to my next marathon, and probably include some of the workouts that people have suggested.

I've really enjoyed this topic, and I've learned a lot from it.

GST

I don't run my entire 3-4 hours either. This time of year, I stop twice for water during a 20 mile run. I try to make those stops last under 5 minutes. I run on a year-round supported training course that has water every 2 miles or so, and in the summer, I make more stops, based on need.

A while back, in a traditional marathon training program, I noticed that while the first 2 of the 20 mile training runs were pretty hard, the 3rd 20 mile run was not as difficult. I wondered what would happen with a 4th, and a 5th 20 miler. I kept doing them and eventually, I found that I had sort of gotten used to it. This year, I have done a long run every saturday that I can manage, as part of a higher mileage effort, driven somewhat by a yearly mileage goal. I think I am faster in all of my races this year than I was last year. I have no books or articles that say this is a good thing, it's just what I have observed about myself.  As others have said, the total mileage probably means more than the individual long runs. I'm not fast, but I am faster than I was last year. I think I'll do more races leading up to my next marathon, and probably include some of the workouts that people have suggested.

I've really enjoyed this topic, and I've learned a lot from it.

I'm not sure if they're saying the recovery or something else.  Because I'm not sure someone trained to do it needs recovery from a longer run.

During my marathon training, I ran my over 3 hour runs most weeks, and a lot of them had marathon pace miles in them too, some had tempo miles... But I never needed any recovery from them... was always running fine the next day.  And they never prevented me getting in solid miles every week or 1-2 long (1:30-2 hr) speed sessions during the week every week... I really felt I benefitted from them and will personally be continuing them... (as I said, I dropped significant times off all my results and it helped me feel strong) I'm focusing on shorter distances for a while (once I'm recovered) but I'll still do 3 hour long runs, though not longer for a while...

Of course, my long run is my alone time each week. Wink

I don't have an issue with the idea that they may not be necessary for everybody... but the statement that they should never be done. Smile They have been a huge help for me!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well I call it "wogging" and since its the way I ran my hm's I log it on RA as running... One of these days I may be able to migrate to full jogging or running, (that's why I am trying lhr training) but last spring I injured myself trying to run continuously, and for just a 10k distance. If it hadn't been for "wogging" I might have gone into early retirement from running...

bob e v

dennrunner

And they never prevented me getting in solid miles every week or 1-2 long (1:30-2 hr) speed sessions during the week every week...  

Huh?  1:30-2 hr speed sessions?  Am I reading that correctly?  That's a long speed session.

Hannibal Granite

Stopping for a few minutes for water during a long run is very different than walking every other minute.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Well I call it "wogging" and since its the way I ran my hm's I log it on RA as running... One of these days I may be able to migrate to full jogging or running, (that's why I am trying lhr training) but last spring I injured myself trying to run continuously, and for just a 10k distance. If it hadn't been for "wogging" I might have gone into early retirement from running...

I have and do a lot of wogging too.....not nearly as much as I used to do as I'm working it out of my runs now, but I, like you, attribute a LOT of my current success and mileage because of a solid year of Galloway Style Run/Walk/Run..    I'm glad to be getting WOGGING out of my normal runs now, but i never hesitate to WOG when I  need or want to...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm noboby, who are you?

If you think this post is at odds with anything I have said, then you are mistaken.

Not at odds but not total agreement,

You say:

c) Even you did not use them in your own training (your long run at 45-50 miles per week was not 3hrs).

They were actually 3:15- 3:30 and my 26-28  was longer but slower.  So yes my long run was disproportional to my weekly mileage but assure you it was 3 hours.

Where is the disagreement? Only in the assumption that some of us think that beginners should do what elites do. No one has made that assumption.

It was not aimed at your post but general comment. Many new people look at elite marathon schedules tact then on the frig door and try imitate them. 

Why is it sideways?

They were actually 3:15- 3:30 and my 26-28  was longer but slower.  So yes my long run was disproportional to my weekly mileage but assure you it was 3 hours.

So, wait, 3 hour long runs are disproportional--not ideal for training?

Again, we agree!

But we don't agree, apparently. Why not? Because it's the internet!

right now my main goal is to run hm in May & in meantime continue to improve in shorter races.  Been slowly/steadily  increasing weekly mileage & long runs over last few months & improving speed/stamina.  at first to increase mileage/long runs had to do some sort of run/walk to get to 8, then 10, then 12 miles.  now can do up to 12 & 13 with continuious running.  Goal is sub 2 hr for 1/2 (feel close to being able to do that now).  to do 12 in training it takes me just under 10 min pace or right around or just under 2 hrs.  no plans at moment to do full but if I do plan to do full  will continue slow build up & do at least a few 20 milers.  At 10/min pace that would take me 200 minutes or 3 hrs 20 mins. Would want to be able to run 20 continuous first no matter how long it takes me, & then after a few would get alittle faster naturally just thru increased stamina/endurance. Somewhat experienced runner over the years but after 10 yrs of starting/stopping running only have been serious & consistent (except for 3 mth injury) over last 18 mths.  much smarter (and older) now & this will be plan for me, has been working so far. usually been running in top 12-15% of finishers in local races but slowly improving on that as well..  Great thread, & 100% agree on finding out what works best for any particular individual, so many factors involved.  experience, genetics, goals, age, fitness level, competition level,  etc....

SMART Approach

John, I think for you to get better consistency is key as Jim Howe mentioned early on and many others had great thoughts. This is a great thread BTW.  Training has a cumulative effect. I too often deal with athletes that cut back in the winter from running and do more cross training. Then come Feb/Mar they want to run a fast half in May/June.  They wonder why they don't get faster.  They remain aerobically fit but not "running fit". Running consistency is huge!

Now, I am not going to argue one way or the other on 3 hr runs as each athlete is individual. I do think that the magic 20 mile mark is always followed for most marathon plans and it doesn't necessarily have to be. I also think most plans out there have to much taper.  Many runners take 4-5 hrs to run a marathon. I do not think these runners should be doing training runs 3.5-4hrs. Honestly, and this is my opinion (and off topic a bit) so don't bash me, I don't like the idea of deconditioned people saying I am going to run a marathon in 6 months without any base or running fitness to speak of. The goal is usually to finish a marathon. I don't like that.  For a deconditioned person, running is a "stress" to the system to not only build aerobic conditioning but also the pounding and mileage increase is also a stress - too much of a stress.  It takes longer than 6 months to handle the pounding of extreme long runs. It is just too much.

Anyway, John, I think you are doing great. For you to be a better runner you obviously need to increase miles but you should also focus on 2 longer runs per week (not one). On your current miles they could be 10-12 mile runs with as many  slower runs in between as you can. These two longer runs with some quality (doesn't have to be killer intense) will provide the stimulus/intensity and the other slower  days will keep the consistency and allow you to recover to get  stronger. Gradually build the quality in those two longer runs. Allow your body to adjust. At first it could be a mile of quality and build from there. This will make you stronger and a better runner and racer at most race distances.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com