Taken out by a car, lessons learned (Read 1670 times)

Prince of Fatness

Cripes!  Glad you're OK.

Not at it at all. 

Damn.  Glad you're not too bad off.  Go lessons there.  I just got my 12 year old Trek bike fixed (haven't rode it in that long) and contemplated whether I should get a helmet or not.  I guess this thread has answered that question for me.

I am so glad you were ok.  And the helmet, wow.  I have a bit of fear of cycling, even with all the nice bike lanes here.  Cripes, I used to ride motorcycles and I would feel safer doing that than cycling again.

I volunteer as a driver for seniors once a week.  There are many reasons I do this, but thinking about them being unsafe to everyone while behind the wheel was never at the top.  Usually I assumed they stopped driving because they were physically very frail or for financial reasons.   Then I remember my sister telling me how my father, now 86, came to a dead stop on an on ramp, just because it was a bit foggy.  He drives about 25 mph no matter what the road!  He still drives daily and will be the last one to give that up, until he fails the test, as he is too cheap to move into assisted living and depend on others.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maggie & Molly

glad you are ok.  It is such a tough topic to bring up with our elders but a very important one. 

on the flip side I saw a woman running this evening.  It was just after sunset so it was not completely dark out yet but getting there.  The road was a very winding, narrow country road but the main road through the town.  She was running with the traffic in black shorts and a top - no reflective gear.  I honestly wanted to stop my car and caution her as to the level of risk she was putting herself in.  I didn't stop my car because well, I just didn't but it bothers me when I see that  It is so dangerous on a good day never mind adding to the level of risk. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Scary stuff, glad you are ok.

My mom is a terrible driver. A few years ago my sister anonymously reported her somewhere (this was in So Cal). My mom got some letter saying she had to go through some driving tests (written & road). She did not pass the road test and her license was taken away. She has no idea that it was my sister who reported her. She just thought she was called in because she had had a few accidents (no injuries to anyone, thank goodness).

Wow!! Glad you're ok
              xhristopher

Thanks again all. I'm glad I'm ok too. My family is probably even more glad. Paramedics and doctors told me I'm about the luckiest they've seen in this situation. Really, it was a violent hit and it's improbable that I was so fortunate. I'm trending nicely, pain is receding, and it's amazing how quickly some things can heal. The headache hasn't gone away yet and I've got a couple other issues I'm watching but life will go on for me. I've got too many responsibilities to leave this place just now. 

I might give up bike commuting to Boston but I don't think I can give up cycling. It's such a part of who I am it would be a real loss. Now only if I could get this running thing working again...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Scary stuff, glad you are ok.

My mom is a terrible driver. A few years ago my sister anonymously reported her somewhere (this was in So Cal). My mom got some letter saying she had to go through some driving tests (written & road). She did not pass the road test and her license was taken away. She has no idea that it was my sister who reported her. She just thought she was called in because she had had a few accidents (no injuries to anyone, thank goodness).

I wonder if every state has a program like this.  That could be very beneficial.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

I was very shocked to read this and so glad you are/will be ok, Chris.  Every time I think I'm going to start road biking again I see one of these stories....

My family has been in the position of having to deal with older family members getting to the shouldn't-be-driving point in recent years.  My dad's aunt was easy; she started feeling uneasy about her skills so she sold her car to one grandson and rural house to another, and moved in with her daughter...she knew she shouldn't be driving.  My grandfather was the opposite, got into the early stages of Alzheimer's and rolled his truck off the road during a memory lapse, luckily noone else was on the road.  He refused to give up his keys, so my dad took the rotor out of the distributor so it would not run and he'd never figure it out.  A week later the sheriff brought him home after he rode his farm tractor into town on the state highway for groceries...so that had to be "broken" too.  Then his riding lawnmower as well.  The drama sucked but not as much as if he would have killed someone.

Yup that is what we did as well.  And we changed the phone number on his phone list so he couldnt get ahold of the garage

Glad you are ok

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wonder if every state has a program like this.  That could be very beneficial.

I think many states do.

My mother was very sharp in her later years, but didn't have the reaction time or the strength to be a safe driver; yet she continued to insist that she could drive safely.  My sister then kept coming up with reasons she needed to "borrow" the car for extended periods.

protoplasm72

Wow, scary.  Hope you are back to running and maybe biking soon.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

jpdeaux

I ran a marathon tonight.

The OP saw me on loop 6 and ran at least a mile with me. As if nothing had happened. Talking all the time. Happily and supportively.

Man, some people really raise the bar for the rest of us.

Thanks X.

Oh roo roooo!

I'd REALLY love to see behind-the-wheel tests be required maybe every 5-10 years for ALL drivers.  Then AARP can't cry ageism and we might actually get a few crappy younger drivers to re-learn how to drive properly, too.  There are far too many folks who think driving is their right, when it's merely a privilege that's often viewed without the level of care it deserves.

My husband and I have had a number of jobs over the years where we drove most of the day and I couldn't agree more.  One of those jobs was transporting people w/mental and/or physical disabilities.  A particular man that we picked up regularly had recently retired.  He was standing behind his parked car, putting something in the trunk, when an impaired driver (diabetic, in this case, w/sight problems) crashed into the back of this man's car, cutting one leg off at the knee and damaging the other enough that it was not sure for some time whether that one would have to be amputated also.  (This accident was the reason we were transporting him--going to therapy appointments, etc., wheelchair bound at first and then learning to use his prosthetic leg.)   Apparently in court, the diabetic driver seemed to feel no real responsibility for the accident, saying "well, you know, I don't see so well, so what could I do?"  Did not seem to get it in any way that if you can't see, just maybe you shouldn't drive.....

So yes, I absolutely think requiring behind-the-wheel tests would be a WONDERFUL thing--and also having some way to enforce the "no driving if no license" thing.  Suspect a lot of folks would still go out there, as you see this already w/those w/drunk driving issues, etc.....

To the OP, thank heavens you're going to be OK!  Holy cow...

Maggie & Molly

I ran a marathon tonight.

The OP saw me on loop 6 and ran at least a mile with me. As if nothing had happened. Talking all the time. Happily and supportively.

Man, some people really raise the bar for the rest of us.

Thanks X.

wow. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Christopher -- thats some good advice - glad you're OK

Champions are made when no one is watching