Negative Split Question (Read 778 times)

Ok, this may seem a little daft, but I'm wondering about the effects of running negative splits. For starters, I am not a racer so I don't worry about race times vs training times. Still, I do like to see myself getting faster over time, which I have, even though I am so laughably slow that it's embarrassing. I've been running for just over a year and only recently managed to break 30 minutes in my 5k runs, and I'm still not under one hour in my 10k. Let's not even talk about the 15k and 21k runs. Anyway, I tend to naturally run every run as a negative split. And not a small negative split either. The problem is that no matter how much stretching, warming up, etc I do before a run I simply cannot start off with any pace whatsoever. It usually takes me 2 or 3 k to find my stride and get my legs working properly. Before that there is always pain and stiffness. However, after about 3k everything sort of falls into place and I can start to get into it. Once I have found my stride and the pain stops I'm actually not that embarrassingly slow. Today's run is a good example. It was a simple, slow 5k. I ran the first 2k in 15:30, which is a pace of something like 7:45. The third k came in at 7:30, the fourth a just under 5:30 and the 5th right around 4:30. This is pretty much all of my runs and it's not intentional per se. The 5:30 k was very comfortable and I could have carried that pace for quite some distance had I not sort of kicked it in just because the next k was my last. So what I am wondering is, do I need to worry about any problems down the road relating to this? Is this the reason my times aren't coming down very quickly? I mean, they are coming down but it's been maybe 1:00 or so off of my 5k a month for the last 6 months now and I see other people on here talking about sub 20:00 5ks and I just wonder if I can ever get to that time. I mean, even if I ran the first two k in 12:00, which seems impossible to me, I would have to run the next three at a sub 3:00per k pace, which is just not going to happen for me.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

A Saucy Wench

It is not uncommon for it to take awhile to warmup. Most of my training runs I run no faster than a 10:30-10:45 for the first mile and it is a struggle for another mile. Somedays my first mile is 11 mm. This is faster than it used to be but I am always about a minute+ slower than whatever my current easy pace is. The difference you list is pretty big though When you say "pain" what do you mean by that? I used to have pain for the first couple miles that got better as I went...that can be tendonitis that needs healed and helped. Sluggish is one thing, pain might be something else. Without seeing your log it is hard to give much advice. You might actually get faster on the starts if you didnt push the finishes so hard every time...especially if you are injured, but again, without a log ..dunno. Except...when you look and try to compare yourself to people who race...remember those who race, especially those who race well, usually warm up first. I run about 2-3 miles before a 5k-10k race. Because otherwise, yes, my times would be a lot worse.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

I don't bother stretching before a race. My warmup is 20-25 minutes of running, starting off very slow, spending a couple of minutes at tempo pace, maybe a couple of strides, then staying easy until about 5-10 minutes before the gun goes off. In your case it sounds like you're simply not warmed up enough before the race starts. But if the 5k distance is still quite an effort for you, you may not find you'll be at that point until you can comfortably run 10-15 miles in a single session. For the time being you may just have to live with those big negative splits.

The Greatest of All Time

I don't bother stretching before a race. My warmup is 20-25 minutes of running, starting off very slow, spending a couple of minutes at tempo pace, maybe a couple of strides, then staying easy until about 5-10 minutes before the gun goes off..
          Same thing here almost identical in fact. It always takes me 1-2 miles to get in a groove. Nothing strange there.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Unlike in a longer race, you can't use the first couple miles of a 5K to warm up. That needs to be done before the race starts, Time your warmup so you don't cool down before the gun. Also, your splits are all over the board. Each split should be around 1%-2% faster than the one before it, yours were 3%, 27% and 18%. Warm up before you race and tighten up your splits for a better race performance. Tom

Junior Amphibian

That's actually a very health habit to start your first couple of miles (or kms) slow. You can treat this as a warmup, which gives you the stamina to do longer runs (but not necessarily faster ones). If you want to run faster, you should start adding first strides (3-4 short sprints at the end of an easy run) or tempo runs (near-race pace for 1-4 miles or kms). After a couple of months, you can add interval training as well. Be careful though. Inreasing your pace too fast can very quickly cause an injury, as I found out. Dead

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

uncontrollable

Ok, this may seem a little daft, but I'm wondering about the effects of running negative splits. For starters, I am not a racer so I don't worry about race times vs training times. Still, I do like to see myself getting faster over time, which I have, even though I am so laughably slow that it's embarrassing. I've been running for just over a year and only recently managed to break 30 minutes in my 5k runs, and I'm still not under one hour in my 10k. Let's not even talk about the 15k and 21k runs. Anyway, I tend to naturally run every run as a negative split. And not a small negative split either. The problem is that no matter how much stretching, warming up, etc I do before a run I simply cannot start off with any pace whatsoever. It usually takes me 2 or 3 k to find my stride and get my legs working properly. Before that there is always pain and stiffness. However, after about 3k everything sort of falls into place and I can start to get into it. Once I have found my stride and the pain stops I'm actually not that embarrassingly slow. Today's run is a good example. It was a simple, slow 5k. I ran the first 2k in 15:30, which is a pace of something like 7:45. The third k came in at 7:30, the fourth a just under 5:30 and the 5th right around 4:30. This is pretty much all of my runs and it's not intentional per se. The 5:30 k was very comfortable and I could have carried that pace for quite some distance had I not sort of kicked it in just because the next k was my last. So what I am wondering is, do I need to worry about any problems down the road relating to this? Is this the reason my times aren't coming down very quickly? I mean, they are coming down but it's been maybe 1:00 or so off of my 5k a month for the last 6 months now and I see other people on here talking about sub 20:00 5ks and I just wonder if I can ever get to that time. I mean, even if I ran the first two k in 12:00, which seems impossible to me, I would have to run the next three at a sub 3:00per k pace, which is just not going to happen for me.
                All questions are cool. In regards to you saying your pace is shameful - NO WAY. You're out there, you're doing it, there are always people & posts that make me say to myself "Whoa - they are rocking!" but I know how hard I work to keep making small improvements or just keep moving! We all rock! Putting in the effort is what counts! Different levels of anything (sport, education, financial, etc...) is all relative. We're all coming from different places. Feel awesome about where you are! As long as I'm not on the couch - feeling like going to the fridge is a workout - I'm doing OK in my book! IT'S ONLY UP ONCE YOU GET OFF THE COUCH!!! Kelly Big grin

peace

When you say "pain" what do you mean by that? I used to have pain for the first couple miles that got better as I went...that can be tendonitis that needs healed and helped. Sluggish is one thing, pain might be something else. Without seeing your log it is hard to give much advice. You might actually get faster on the starts if you didnt push the finishes so hard every time...especially if you are injured, but again, without a log ..dunno.
                  The pain is generally in my calves with the periodic shin splint thrown in. I never have pain in my feet, knees, back etc. In my gym rat days I really developed my calves to stupid levels and while I have lost a lot of muscle there I am convinced that they are still too over-developed for a runner. I've tried stretching them, stair stretching, jumping jacks, etc. Nothing works. It feels as if someone is sticking a fork into the belly of the muscle and turning like you would when you eat pasta. After a few k it just lets go and everything is fine. The calves become an issue because my stride isn't a "natural" stride. I hear so many people talk about running your natural stride but I think I may be the exception. When I first started running I swear to god people would stop and stare at me and wince as I ran by. I became self-conscious about it after a few weeks so I asked my wife to watch me run. I went down the street and ran toward her at a slow, steady gate. She burst out laughing and said that I looked as if the villagers should be chasing me with torches. A little video helped me see that I was basically running stiff-legged which was killing my knees as well. So I had to go to work to more or less manufacture a comfortable, efficient, mid-foot striking stride. It works well for me but I can't settle into it until my calves let go.
                  And who am I anyway?
                  JimR

Today's run is a good example. It was a simple, slow 5k. I ran the first 2k in 15:30, which is a pace of something like 7:45. The third k came in at 7:30, the fourth a just under 5:30 and the 5th right around 4:30. This is pretty much all of my runs and it's not intentional per se. The 5:30 k was very comfortable and I could have carried that pace for quite some distance had I not sort of kicked it in just because the next k was my last
                    Your answer is in your question. Why didn't you run those 3 easy k's before the race started?
                      Also, on the log thing.... I keep fairly meticulous logs but not on here. I logged on here for a few weeks at the beginning of the year but I was never able to get the search / graph functions to work properly ( no matter what search criteria I put in I always get no results found ) so I basically just use this as an afterthought. More often than not if I'm putting something into the log here it's just to see what the average pace was for a given segment of the run. As a rule I run every other day because that is all my schedule allows. When I'm not that busy I run 2 days on, one off, but I haven't had that kind of time since October or November. I keep my schedule fairly simple in that I rotate my runs as follows: 21k, 5k, 15k, 10k. Up until February I was only running one 21k per month because it was simply too damned cold here to be out for that long. In each cycle I will have one of the runs that I am trying to set a PR on, so that in one cycle I will try to run a faster 21k, but the other three are training runs. The next cycle it will be the 5k that is the fast run. You get the idea. And believe it or not, the calf thing occurs to the same degree whether my last run was 21k or k5, and whether it was fast or slow. I've even taken two weeks off but that didn't help either. There is no pain at all when I am just walking around, biking ( I bike about 13k per day w/ my dog ), or even during pre-run stretches.
                      And who am I anyway?
                        If I understand this correctly , you are trying to run a race every week (5k one week, 10 k next week and so on). Although I am a slow and inexperienced runner, that does not sound like a good strategy. No wonder taking a couple of weeks off and going back to racing every week has not helped. Just run easy for a while and see if your splits are a bit more natural. You seem to be improving quite a bit. 1 min/month off your 5K is not very easy thing to do.
                        milkbaby

You'll get faster just from sticking to running and doing it consistently. Running for a year is still not that long in terms of how long you've been a runner. Just stick with it and you'll find some improvement! Also, for general training runs, don't worry too much about whether you start slow or not. In fact, some of the greatest long distance runners such as the Kenyan elites advise to "let the run come to you". They may start a run slowly at 5:30/km or slower but eventually end up at 3:30/km or faster! That is a huge difference, but the point is to just let your body warm up over the initial part of the run. Your body has to get the blood pumping faster, the muscles have to warm up for the energy generating enzymes to be at the highest activity, etc. As for races, like mentioned above, the shorter the distance, the more warm up you will need to get your body prepared to race from the start of the race. When you do a minimal warmup for a 5k, then it is difficult to start out hard since your body is not ready yet. As for tight calves or other muscles early in the run, it is possibly trying to run too fast from the start. Once again, follow the advice of getting in a good warm up and starting slow on regular training runs. I personally like to walk a few minutes before I even start running at all. This gets the blood pumping a bit and the muscles ready to do some work. And even then I still start out with a slow 2 or 3 miles. Trying to run a PR every week in training is usually counterproductive. Progress is rarely a straight line up and up into the heavens. Sometimes you will hit plateaus, sometimes you will go backwards. It is simply impossible to always see an improvement, otherwise you would eventually be a world record holder, right? One other way to see progress is when you run the same route in the same time but the effort expended was much easier. This means you are getting better but without the stress of trying to always run a PR over a particular training route/distance.
                          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura