Questions for Experienced Marathoners? (the ins and outs of everything but running the race) (Read 702 times)

1) Is the pre-race meal the night before worth it or should I go out with family? 2) How early do I show up? 3) Do your family/supporters camp on the course/finish line/starting line or somewhere else? 4) If I didn't start this thread...what would have I been regretting I didn't pack from home? Oh, btw way...I was one number off a nightmarish bib number...I am bib number 665 Shocked I got 2 months before this thing and I simply can't wait...I think b/c I am very confident in finishing it and everything I do now is geared toward running it better.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
    Scout7

I've never attended the pre-race meal. I would rather do my own thing. Besides, they don't serve wings and beer at the pasta dinners. Eff that. Depends. I've shown up over an hour before gun, but that's because parking was a pain. Depends on the course. You need shoes, socks, shorts, shirt, bib and chip. Anything else is personal preference. I usually pack a towel, spare socks, another shirt and sweat pants, and comfortable shoes. Depending on weather, I might pack more.
      xor

1. Depends on the race and depends on how much you like being around others you don't know. I didn't eat the dinner at St Jude, so I dunno if it is any good. FWIW, most aren't that great. You may prefer a quiet meal with your family... could help keep you calm for race day. OTOH, sometimes I really like meeting up with people at the dinners even though the food can be marginal-to-ok. I only do this when I'm on my own. If my hypothetical family was involved, I probably wouldn't. DO NOT OVEREAT. DO NOT OVEREAT. Yeah, yeah, carbo-loading blah blah blah. But if you stuff yourself silly, you are setting yourself up for pain and suffering during the race. Eat what you've been eating the night before long runs... but just an iddy bit more. 2. Depends on the race. For St Jude, 45-60 minutes. Longer if you don't know where to park. Lots of parking in downtown Memphis... but the closer it gets to race time, the more hunting around (and a longer walk) you'll have. If it is cold, take a spare shirt or an old jacket you can wear while waiting for the start... ditch it when the race starts. 3. Depends on the race. Keep in mind that if they camp out, they will be waiting for you for X time... X is smaller if the location is earlier in the course. "Waiting for dad" can be pretty brutal on a young-un, especially if the weather is poor. Get a place with easy access and perhaps a nearby restaurant for potty emergencies. The start/finish option is nice because they'll see you at the finish. BUT, they have to wait the longest for you to go by. OTOH, the finish at this race is a baseball stadium... seats, potties, perhaps food for purchase. 4. There are a couple places to get a night-before packing list. I'm sure someone else will post them. Don't forget your chip and your body glide. And socks. I've duffed socks before.

A Saucy Wench

1) go out with family. The pasta usually isnt that great and it is generally overpriced. I personally like going out TWO nights before the race for the larger meal and eating fairly lightly the night before. 2) Depends on the size of the race and if you need to bagcheck, how far away you have to park and the like. I did 1 hour in PDX last year and it wasnt enough - almost didnt make it in my corral, 90 minutes this year was just about right. I stood around for a little bit, but better than feeling rushed. 3) Depends on the family - most courses will have a "where to go to watch" and if your family doesnt mind running to the car driving around, trying to find parking and dashing out to the course multiple times some people really enjoy doing that...their own little event. My husband sleeps late and drives out to see me near the end of the course. If you have kids and want to do the start finish option, scout out restaurants or something nearby. See you off...go grab a bite inside, wander back. 4) A complete change of clothes at the finish line. I always get really cold and everything, even undergarments has to go for me to have a chance to warm up. Throwing a sweatsuit on top doesnt help as much as getting the sweaty stuff off.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Warning about the roads, at least in the second half of St Jude... some of these roads are crazy crowded with cars. If the race does not have a 'where to watch' announcement, consider asking at the expo. The last thing you want is a "we'll watch you along the way and meet you at the finish" plan which gets dorked up because your family gets stuck in the endless traffic at a random intersection.
            I always get really cold and everything, even undergarments has to go for me to have a chance to warm up.
            Crap, I missed this on Sunday.

Do I not pick my chip with bib and everything else?
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              xor

Do I not pick my chip with bib and everything else?
                Er... yes. What in the above replies is confusing you? Are you picking it up the day before? That's when most people will do this. If so, then you have a big chance to forget the chip and/or number on race morning. If not... you are planning to pick it up on race morning... double check to ensure that this is allowed. It isn't at all races.

Things, I'd just suggest taking. -Plastic grocery bags for putting your wet stinky stuff in and to hold your clean stuff... They are also good if you want to raid the goodies -a change towel or a terry cloth skirt so you can get out of your stinky clothes in a modest fashion -empty 32oz plastic cup, I don't like waiting in line to go numero uno (If I owned/rented a van, I'd consider bringing a night can or a five gallon paint container.) -canned chicken soup and salty snacks -spray deodorizer

Vim

xor

empty 32oz plastic cup, I don't like waiting in line to go numero uno
                    Interesting. Do not under any circumstances substitute a can for the cup (or just a bush). This is how Dwight Schrute cut his lil' Dwight.

JakeKnight

1) Is the pre-race meal the night before worth it or should I go out with family?
                      (shrug) Define "worth it." My first second marathon, the guest speaker at the pasta dinner was Jack Daniels. I didn't know who he was at the time. I wish I could go back in time and pay attention to what he was saying. They can be a good way to meet people, get some cheap pasta, get the inside scoop on the race. Best part: hanging with the semi-elites and elites. If they show up, it'll probably be the closest you get to a Kenyan. But I usually skip them. If I really wanted to hang out with a bunch of nerds all dressed the same, I'd just go to a Star Trek convention. I'd rather chill at the hotel. And as Scout so importantly noted, there usually isn't beer. Anybody who says 2-3 beers the night before a marathon is not critical carbo-loading is somebody you should never listen to. It's a tough call: it might be a cool experience for your first marathon; then again, it might stress you out, and hanging with your family might relax you and lead to a better race. That was no help at all. I should have left it at the shrug.
                      2) How early do I show up?
                      Simple answer: early. At least half an hour before the start. It depends on how well you know the area. If it's your hometown and its a small marathon and you know where the parking is ... half an hour is plenty. If it's a major city marathon, or if its in a city you don't know, and you don't know the area ... plan to get there an hour early. Give yourself plenty of time for traffic jams, multiple trips to the bathroom, getting lost on the way, forgetting equipment, etc. The one thing in all this is that you do NOT want unnecessary stress and hassle. And nothing is more stressful than speeding across some strange town not even knowing if you'll make it to the starting line on time (and realizing you probably need to take a crap at some point before that gun goes off). Get there early.
                      3) Do your family/supporters camp on the course/finish line/starting line or somewhere else?
                      Depends on the layout of the course, the time of year, the weather, and - again - how well you and your family know the course. Our local big marathon has three out and backs. My fiancee now has an established route to see me 3 different times, not counting the start and finish. Last year, Jeff (you may know him as .... Jeff ... he's very creative) rode his bike around the course and that seemed like a great idea. He was able to pop up all over the thing and cheer on different people. A lot of courses, you can look at the map and pick a spot where spectators can walk just a little ways and catch you at multiple spots. Then again, if its a huge race, they may want to pick one spot (early) and save it. As long as they make it to the finish line to see your triumphant tape-breaking.
                      4) If I didn't start this thread...what would have I been regretting I didn't pack from home?
                      Toilet paper. Always take toilet paper.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

Toilet paper. Always take toilet paper.
                        Baby wipes work better. especially if nerves and your intestines dont always get along.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

a 7 year old boy who loves to play outside a 4 year old boy who loves to wear his food and 5 month old baby girl who spits and poops everywhere ENSURES that I am ALWAYS close to baby wipes Wink

Why is it sideways?

The gorilla always has the best posts on this subject. One of your posts, JK, a while back (maybe even a year ago) was so informative in a side-splittingly funny way. I tried to look it up but couldn't find it. Anybody know the post to which I'm referring so vaguely?
                              Baby wipes work better. especially if nerves and your intestines dont always get along.
                              Absolutely! Rain and /or sweat will ruin the best intentions in taking TP. Baby Wipes are already wet and do not fall apart, nor become mush.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The gorilla always has the best posts on this subject. One of your posts, JK, a while back (maybe even a year ago) was so informative in a side-splittingly funny way. I tried to look it up but couldn't find it. Anybody know the post to which I'm referring so vaguely?
                                http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/52c3b882ba0143028fd3e1174ed65694

Amy