Calorie counter for Swimming? (Read 735 times)

I'm not sure if I don't have enough or the right kind of data to get a calorie count when I add a swimming workout. Does RA's log have the capability or formula to calculate them?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

eric :)

The system is set up to calculate caloric consumption of swimming.  However, I don't have the proper formula for it.  I did a search and the formulae differ greatly.  Some require weight, other asked only for duration.  Does anyone have a reliable formula?
      protoplasm72

The system is set up to calculate caloric consumption of swimming.  However, I don't have the proper formula for it.  I did a search and the formulae differ greatly.  Some require weight, other asked only for duration.  Does anyone have a reliable formula?

I don't think there is one because it is so technique dependent.  Two identical people going the same speed for the same time can burn greatly different amounts of calories if one is thrashing around and the other glides through the water.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I've logged three swim sessions this month and don't have a caloric value for any of them. Can you look at my log and see what I'm missing to get a number?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

aellopous

I have never, ever seen a reliable counter for swimming. It's totally frustrating. I'm trying to lose weight, and keeping the eating/exercise balance is really hard.

In general, I think most formulae tend to grossly overestimate, particularly if you're at the slower end of the swimming scale.

keeponrunning

I think their is too much variety in how you swim to be accurate.  ie. different kinds of strokes, different resistance (harder to swim in lake against tide than with tide)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022