Mohawk-Hudson Marathon (Read 109 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So...I'm running this one in a bit less than 2 weeks.  Anyone else running it this year?  Anyone run it in the past?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I ran it last year.  Nice race - not too crowded field (at least where I was).  Fast course.  When you get close to the train tracks make sure you make it across if you hear a train coming.  It gave me a 6 minute PR and a 17 second negative split.  I'd recommend this race for anyone looking to improve time.  Weather permitting, of course.  Good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

btb1490

This will my 3rd time running it.

Anonymous Guest

I ran it in 2013 and it's still my PR by about 7 minutes. Great race.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks - I'm excited about it.  I'm a bit nervous about the weather, but that's normal for 11 days out, right?

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Yeah it's a bit too early but latest forecast from weather.com is 76/56 with 50% chance of precipitation, which means it may be cloudy which will help.  Check early next week... but I'm sure you're checking daily anyway. 

3/17 - NYC Half

KrisV123

I'm running Mohawk-Hudson for the first time.  Everyone seems to have something great to say about it from what I've read.  But...right now the weather looks pretty warm.  Fingers crossed that changes!

ultramarathon/triathlete

I ran it several years back.  Loved there race and I'm sure I have a RR on here somewhere.  It was my first BQ as I recall.  Well organized small race and a wonderful mostly flat/downhill course.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Here it is, if you're interested.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I enjoyed reading your RR... brought back nice memories.  Yes, just walking right up to the starting line picking your place just minutes to the start is really nice, right?  I was just sitting on the grass next to my target pacer until about 5 minutes prior.  Yes, that sharp downhill before the train tracks really smacks you if you're not ready for it.  I will second the great organization and support for a small race.  Congrats (very late) on that BQ too... and your wife's half!  Hope you guys enjoyed NYCM together.

3/17 - NYC Half

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, I just re-read it again for the first time in, what, 7 years?  Damn that was a fun race.  I had NO idea what I was doing though.  Banked too much time, went out WAY too fast.  It's funny what you learn in all the subsequent races.   I'm not 100% confident I could run 3:08 right now (probably more like 3:teens or low 20s).  But if I was running at MoHawk I'd have at least a chance of it with that wonderful course.  I hope it hasn't been altered much or at all.  And you're right about how nice that relaxed start is!

My younger self's RR is inspiring my somewhat older self to get out and run more, damnit! 

Oh and my wife and I did enjoy NYCM together.  Her only marathon (at least so far) but I've been back each year and am into 50+ marathons by now.  Hudson Mohawk is still one of my favorite.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Wow, 50+ marathons!  ...and you've inspired yourself to run more? 

It doesn't sound like they changed the course.  Probably the only place that it could change is in the neighborhoods in the first few miles, but that wouldn't make any material difference IMO.  Compared to NYCM, what I really liked about this course is seeing the tangents and hitting the fastest line with very few people around.  And not running through sticky puddles at the fluid stations.

3/17 - NYC Half

KrisV123

Thanks for RR.  Enjoyed reading it!

Anonymous Guest

I liked your report. Brought back good memories and made me look up mine here, if anyone is interested.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks for both of these reports.  I really enjoyed reading them.