mild groin/adductor strain, race next weekend :( (Read 99 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

So today I pulled my adductor/groin doing hill sprints (it was EARLY in the morning and I guess I didn't warm up enough? also the hill was pretty steep).  I have a 400m race next Saturday!  It's not a terrible injury; I was able to do weighted lunges later, and I even completed my hill sprints despite the pain, but I certainly don't feel at my best.  It's basically a feeling of complete tightness and burning on the upper inside of my left thigh, which I feel even at rest, and it makes my movements somewhat hesitant and painful but doesn't seriously impede me.

Tips?  I have had muscle strains before and they typically go away fast.  I was thinking of spinning tomorrow instead of running and then trying a run on Sunday.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

I've done the adductor sprain, and it sucks.

Tips:

Don't do the race next weekend.

Rest. Stop doing speed until it's better. Take a long, slow warm up when you do run.

Walk - stretching out long stride, especially uphill, is very good eccentric loaded stretch (according to the physiotherapist I saw to get fixed)

I ran a 1500 race shortly after the injury happened. It made it worse. It didn't feel too bad, but wasn't quite right, so I ran the race and kept training, then it got worse. I then stopped doing anything faster than tempo, and it was ok for a while. Then that started to hurt, so it was ½ pace only, then a good ½ race, then easy only, then the physio shut me down completely.

SMART Approach

A 400m race is a "max race" and if you go into that race at less than 100%, you risk being out 6-8 weeks where you may not run at all. The fact that you have discomfort/burning even at rest is what scares me.  It does sound like a 7-14 day injury and there is a chance you make it through ok. You have to decide how much this race means to you and the risk you want to take based on your plans for spring and summer.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Thanks, guys.  I'll take it easy this weekend and see how I feel coming up on the race.  If it still hurts the day before, I won't go.  Sad, but there will be other meets.  It's just too bad, because this was going to be my first race back after a DIFFERENT injury!  It's like I can't even make it to the start. Sad

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hey scapp!

I've been dealing with groin/adductor crap for almost a year now.  REST NOW.  I ended up having to take off 4 months because I tried to run through it for half a year.

Running is dumb.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hi Mandy!  Good to see you here.  I quit posting on RW after their ridiculous forum rehaul and then I was injured and not running so I didn't post anywhere, but it's awesome to see so many people I already know here.

I think I'm just really frustrated right now because I KEEP getting injured and this race was really going to be my comeback.  Now I feel like people will think I'm making excuses and quitting, like my runner friends/coaches will give up on me or not believe I'm really hurt.  But in the past I've made injuries worse listening to a coach who tells us to run through everything.  I guess I just need to listen to myself.  And I'm on a good upward fitness trajectory with sprint training, which is going a ton better than I would expect, or it was.

And then I just feel like I'm doing something wrong even though I'm working so hard, because if I'm injured, it's my fault, right?  But if I don't push hard enough it's my fault too!

Hm.

On the bright side, my adductor feels a lot better already, so perhaps all this worry is for naught.  

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Ha!  I am fine, ran a cautious progression run today and finished with a 6:55 mile.  No pain at all.  It was transient and I'm super nervous for the race.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good news!  Just be mildly cautious going forward Smile

Running is dumb.

Docket_Rocket

Glad to see it sounded like bad soreness!

And glad to see you!  We've missed you.

Ha!  I am fine, ran a cautious progression run today and finished with a 6:55 mile.  No pain at all.  It was transient and I'm super nervous for the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Hey guys, it's great to see you too!  How are you both?  BTW, Mandy, how is *your* adductor?

My solution to this issue was, yeah, I didn't race this weekend.  I did 12 x 400 with 45 sec. jog in between instead.  Philosophically, it just felt wrong to me to race when I know I'm not fully healthy or prepared--disrespectful to the race.  (Yes, it's possible to disrespect the 400m--it's not all about distance, it's about doing it right).

Anyway, I'm feeling better, but my solution to injury issues right now is treadmill running.  It seems to be working.

Docket_Rocket

Hope it works so you can train!  Feel better!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page