PRE DAWN PATROL week of 14 Jan. (Read 600 times)

Good morning gang. Here's hoping for a great training week for everyone! Monday as usual is an SRD for me. I'll shift my focus a bit this week as I decided to race the Norris Dam 12k Challenge in Tennessee on 01/19 (my birthday). Therefore, mostly slow miles this week with a few intervals on Wed.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Another Passion

Unscheduled day of rest for me since I ran a 10 mile race yesterday on a rest day and have run 29 miles in the last 3 days and the fact that my right low back is giving me acute fits this morning. Thankfully I see my D.C. this afternoon. Scheduled 7 miles tomorrow, providing the back cooperates. Happy running this week fellow RAers. Smile

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Ran and Rick: Enjoy your rest day. rick I hope your back is better soon. Today was a swim day. I got in just about 1 mile of easy swimming and some drills as I am working on form while building my swim base. Ray you asked about my Miami, goal. I don't really have one as I kind of entered this at a relative last minute and only gave myself about 7 weeks to train. So I'm going in fairly under trained. I am just going to run it with a focus as a long training run and go by HR, <= 140="" bpm="" for="" the="" first="" 13,="" then=""></=><=150 bpmfor the next 10 miles and then "let 'er rip" for the last segment, that is if i "can let 'er" rip :d bpmfor="" the="" next="" 10="" miles="" and="" then="" "let="" 'er="" rip"="" for="" the="" last="" segment,="" that="" is="" if="" i="" "can="" let="" 'er"="" rip="" :d=""></=150 bpmfor the next 10 miles and then "let 'er rip" for the last segment, that is if i "can let 'er" rip :d >

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
        My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
        Ride 112 miles.
        Run 26.2 miles.
        Then brag for the rest of your life.
        -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Good Morning Gang, Ray - Have fun on your SRD. How's your weather been? Rick - Enjoy your rest. It is well deserved after the last 3 days. Kevin - Great swim to you. Now the real ??. how many miles tonight? Wink I was out or should I say in for 3.2/30 min on the ole dreadmill. I seemed to have slown down a bit. Heart rate question, resting I'm at between 128 and 132 (After walking to the gym) and when I get done running it's usually at 189-192. How do I get it down or is this about normal? Have a Great Week!!
          Happy Running,
          Troy
          "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

Ray - Have fun on your SRD. How's your weather been? Have a Great Week!!
            I had great weather over the weekend ... low 30's and minimal wind. It's turned off nasty now with morning temps this week in the low 20's and fairly windy.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Unless someone interrupts my run tonight... I plan on doing 6 to 7 miles.

Vim

still alive

HOOOOYAAAAA The temps have plummeted. Yesterday it was -15F. I'm about to head out this morning. It's warmed up to 0 with -30 windchills. . . . . layering up as we speak. Have a good morning everyone.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Greg, I feel for you. That's cold! I got 9 miles in and it felt like a heavy leg day. Maybe my long run Saturday took more out of me that I suspected. My 8:46 pace took an AHR of 135 which is typical for a Sunday run but not Tuesday. It was 25° with a windchill of 16° but I only ran head on into the wind for a couple miles. It just didn't feel like a Tuesday run should.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I was out or should I say in for 3.2/30 min on the ole dreadmill. I seemed to have slown down a bit. Heart rate question, resting I'm at between 128 and 132 (After walking to the gym) and when I get done running it's usually at 189-192. How do I get it down or is this about normal?
                    I can add to this delima too! Saturday I ran 6 miles - but didn't pay much attention to my HR. Sunday I ran 9 miles with my neighbor - chatting away the WHOLE time, averaging 11 m/m and my heart rate averaged 172 - which seems like a high number, but I was able to talk and wasn't over excerting myself. So today I'm out for 4.5 miles and purposely ran as slow as I could trying to keep my HR below 160. It was hard to keep it as slow as I did: Mile 1 - 11:29 - 158 bpm Mile 2 - 11:44 - 159 bpm Mile 3 - 12:09 - 158 bpm Mile 4 - 12:32 - 158 bpm Mile 4.5 - 12:23 - 156 bpm Average 12:01 m/m - 157 bpm I think that I may just have a higher heart rate that others - but I also still have a lingering cough so I'll just keep monitoring and eventually do a test to determine my maximum. Any advise?? ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mary - That's what I decided too, I just have a higher rate than most. If I look at the chart I'm way above max. To many gidgets to monitor what my body is doing instead of going by feel I guess. Any opinions?
                      Happy Running,
                      Troy

Got in a nooner. Big grin I only wish. Did the hills workout on the treadmill for 3.1 miles. It actually felt good and all the body parts loosened up for the whole run. That's a first. Greg - Shocked Now I know I'm a wimp, can't do those temps. Ray - Great run to you today. Mary - Thanks for sharing the dilemma with me. Today's max doing hills was 182 so it came down a little. It is wierd cause my resting is around 72 bpm. Have a Great Afternoon.
                        Happy Running,
                        Troy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Troy - someone from another group told me about this book, and I think i'm going to order it for myself. I thought you might be interested too: http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Training-Compleat-Idiot/dp/0915297256/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product ~Mary

~Mary

~unknown

Thanks Mary......yay a reason to go to the book store. That'll make DW even happier since she loves the book store. Win Win situation
                            Happy Running,
                            Troy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh no - I think you are going to have to order in on-line as it is out of print. Sad I called my local barnes and nobles and they did not have it. I bought the used one on Amazon - but also see that the Barnes and Nobles web site has a couple used ones available. PLUS the new ones are really expensive!! Can't wait to get mine - I think I'm becoming a gadget geek . . . .

~Mary

~unknown

Another workout that felt harder than it really was. It must be the cold weather. I did 5 miles, 8:58 pace, with an AHR of 128. Those numbers fit each other but it sure felt like I was working harder than that. Each mile got a little faster and the average HR a little higher. Mile 5 was 8:28 with an AHR of 132. Mile 1 was 9:29 with an AHR of 121. Troy & Mary, I've been an avid HRM user for over 10 years. To do it properly, you need to do a max HR test and wear the HRM during some periods of relaxation to obtain a true minimum. I use the Karvonen HRR method of calculating my zones but many folks just use straight percentages. Training with the HRM has really helped me stay in better touch with my body. I think it's biggest benefits to me are 1: keeping easy runs EASY as I'll go by HR and not pace. 2: helping identify overtraining or other issues such as an illness coming on.