Windchill did me in today (Read 262 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Scheduled for 8 miles in week two of my 18-week Flying Pig Marathon training. But at 1 mile I had to call it quits due to the -25F or so windchill. The temp at 0F was fine but as soon as I turned into the wind, the metal around my eye classes burned my skin with the cold. Really sucks because the OSU gym is also closed as is the rest of campus. Ugh! I want to run!

How are you faring in the Arctic blast? If you tell me you are in San Diego or Miami, let's just say I'm hating ya today. Smile

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

It was 0F here, too.  I got in 5 miles mostly out of curiosity of what it would be like to run in conditions like that.  My face was totally frosted by the time I finished.  Even my eyelashes were frosted... glad I wasn't wearing metal eyeglasses or I'd have had to bail as well.  I had just the right level of clothing, and my run was out and back.  Started into the wind, survived it, and felt almost too warm on the return.

I'm in Ohio as well. I was be running on the treadmill today.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wonder if you could wear plastic safety glasses over your metal glasses.

Latent Runner

I've had several runs this winter where the wind chill was well below zero; normally I use a full-face balaclava, and if it's really-really bad out, ski goggles to cover my face with.  Unfortunately I moved this last summer and cannot find either of the above two items, and I'm too cheap to buy new.  For my face I've "growing" Plan B, a beard (it's been years since I've grown one and it's coming all grey); my eyes will just have to deal with the cold.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
            • 2-mile: 13:49
            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
            • 5-Mile: 37:24
            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
            Slo

+1 on Ski Goggles.

Most fit over prescription glasses. On very rare occasions I've worn them for running. They are great on days when it is windy and sleeting. Fogging has not been an issue.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm dreadmilling a lot these days. We're up to -33*F or -36*C windchill. This morning it was base temp -35*C, windchill -48*C (-31*F and -54*F). I'm reminding myself often that it's not going to this cold forever and I will get outside to do runs of decent length at some point.

Be smart about windchill!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Excellent ice beard btw

+1 on Ski Goggles.

Most fit over prescription glasses. On very rare occasions I've worn them for running. They are great on days when it is windy and sleeting. Fogging has not been an issue.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

perryw

I went out for 1 mile in -10 air temp and -35 windchill.  Yes, that wind hitting my head on was brutal.  This counts for the more miles than degrees club, right?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not as bitterly cold here downwind of Lake MI…but that arctic air coming over the relatively warm lake = a foot-ish of new lake-effect snow.  Combine that with the tail-end of bronchitis and I'm dreadmillin' it today, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I wonder if you could wear plastic safety glasses over your metal glasses.

To LedLincoln and Slowhand, funny - after I got home my wife said "why don't you wear your ski goggles." Great idea. Searched the house but couldn't find them. Darn it! Haven't skied since moving from Utah. I'll keep looking and put them with my running gear for the next arctic blast.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

+1 on the balaclava and goggles. Also, look for some shit called cat crap. It comes in a little red container, a little bigger than the diameter of a quarter. It will help prevent your lenses from fogging up, works like a charm.

TripleBock

-18F / -50F+ WC

YMCA was busy at noon and I expect it will be again after work.  I really need to get my Home TM fixed.

THey better not close the Y tonight ... I have not seen it yet, so I should be good.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

preciousJohn

Run with it? not against it? problem solved.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

To LedLincoln and Slowhand, funny - after I got home my wife said "why don't you wear your ski goggles." Great idea. Searched the house but couldn't find them. Darn it! Haven't skied since moving from Utah. I'll keep looking and put them with my running gear for the next arctic blast.

I'd go with the ski goggles or Cat Crap - I have had serious fogging issues with my safety glasses.