Mississippi's Lehigh Valley Marathon Report (Read 946 times)

NO THROWING UP INVOLVED. Yay! Big grin All of us, before the race. Well, it's DONE. I can now chalk that off my list of things I thought I'd never do. Big grin It was harder than I thought. The day was actually almost perfect in lots of ways. We got an early start, met up with Pam and her husband right on time, we didn't get lost finding their house. The weather was close to ideal, I think, it was starting to warm up a little near the end but at that point I was already focused on the pain in my legs rather than the heat! First off, congratulations to Tim for his new PR marathon time! And congratulations to Pam for getting 1st in our age group. And....congratulations to Ken for coming back from being sick, and finishing his first marathon since 2005. Very Cool! Pam in the final stretch. Ken at finish. Me at finish. (looking totally ready to stop running!!) The race was small, I believe around 123 individual runners and then lots of relay teams. It was strange running at the same time as the relay teams since when they zipped by I had to fight the urge (in the beginning) to speed up. I ended up enjoying having my name on my bib as spectators and volunteers didn't hesitate to cheer you on by your name. Confused me at first thinking that maybe I actually knew someone in the crowd, but I caught on eventually. Blush The course was nice, mostly flat. One hill that really didn't kill me like I worried it would. The down hills were a little rough. The worst part of it all was the stretch starting at mile 22, it...went...on...forever!! And, it was entirely in the sun, in the grass, along a swampy creek thing. Nasty. This is about where I lost a big amount of my energy, after getting overly confident right after mile 20, thinking I had SOOOOOO much energy left (nope, I didn't, at least it didn't last long). I also learned that stomach issues can be rather annoying. TMI But I've heard it's a part of running for many people. The volunteers were wonderful. Always friendly. I never felt uncertain of the course. There was Gatorade and water every 2 miles, at first I avoided that, but since I was carrying only Gatorade with me I began to NEED water, so I walked through a bunch of the water stops, drinking an entire cup before running again. My body needed it. I missed the live music like Broad Street had, but since this is a small marathon and just starting out they didn't have a very large budget to work with. PLUS...they ran out of freezie pops before we got to have one. Scout had one, but he was way ahead of us, of course. Smile The final stretch I had hoped to be able to speed up for, but that just didn't happen. My legs had nothing left. So, as I watched Pam go on ahead of me, I came in a minute behind her. Pam placed first in our age group, I placed second. Very awesome! So even though I didn't run my crazy goal of under 4 hours, it was close enough at 4:12:32 (or something like that). Close enough for me. The award. It's different...nothing fancy. (Pam's says FIRST PLACE! Big grin) I learned about chaffing. OUCH. Never ever before have I had to deal with that. And right now, I have a wicked headache, and lots and lots of sore muscles, particulary my right groin and right ankle (in the front). One of my favorite memories of the race was in the final mile a little old lady walking along the sidewalk in town, started running along side of Pam and me (on the sidewalk). She was wearing little dress shoe flats. She asked how far we ran and I told her, then she got all excited and smiled quite a toothless smile (SERIOUSLY) and then I said under a mile left, she said "I'm going with you!!" and she kept running along, then she was just behind us and I had to laugh. Eventually she stopped. But I have that visual in my head. I wonder if she's sore now?! Tongue Pam and me after the race. The boring shirt.

Michelle

Sorry about the chafing! I think we're all (not sure about Tim) dealing with that issue somewhere on our body Confused LOVED how that lady ran along with us (go figure I forget some of the more depthful moments). I think the first one is ALWAYS harder then what you expect, though you make it look so easy! The way you conquer each race no matter how long or short the distance is amazes me! LOVE your look in the picture of just you and me lol BTW Thanks again for the gift this morning. Such a thoughtfull gift!!! Thanks again Tim for the pictures!! Now I feel bad that we don't have one of you Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sorry about the chafing! I think we're all (not sure about Tim) dealing with that issue somewhere on our body Confused LOVED how that lady ran along with us (go figure I forget some of the more depthful moments). I think the first one is ALWAYS harder then what you expect, though you make it look so easy! The way you conquer each race no matter how long or short the distance is amazes me! LOVE your look in the picture of just you and me lol BTW Thanks again for the gift this morning. Such a thoughtfull gift!!!
        I was working on the pictures.... You're very welcome, it was nice of you and Ken to pick up our race packets and I wanted to say thank you.

Michelle

Sorry about the chafing! I think we're all (not sure about Tim) dealing with that issue somewhere on our body Confused
          Tim has some chaffing! And blisters. And his feet hurt during the whole race, he blames the shoes.

Michelle

I wish my camera took better pictures, I can't zoom in on some of the pictures since they get all pixal.

Michelle

Tim has some chaffing! And blisters. And his feet hurt during the whole race, he blames the shoes.
              ugghhhhhhhhhhh that sucks Sad Damn he did AWESOME considering those issue's (though I thought he did great anyways)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I wish my camera took better pictures, I can't zoom in on some of the pictures since they get all pixal.
                No complaints here, just nice to have some!

I was working on the pictures.... You're very welcome, it was nice of you and Ken to pick up our race packets and I wanted to say thank you.
                  Anything for you guys! No need to pay back, but appreciated!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pam placed first in our age group, I placed second. Very awesome! So even though I didn't run my crazy goal of under 4 hours, it was close enough at 4:12:47 (or something like that). Close enough for me.
                    Oh, I am SO proud of you four! You girls rock! And Tim's PR is also way cool! Good work, friends! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations to all of you!! Great race and WTG on the place(s)! Big grin
                      2009: BQ?
                        Thanks! Not sure why, but I'm running a fever now. My body is not happy.

Michelle

I hope you feel better Michelle. And here's another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO for finishing not only your first marathon, but placing 2nd in your AG!! So awesome!! Congrats! Big grin
                            I'm telling ya Michele, take a really cold/ ice bath tonight ... you will feel A LOT better!! Hope you're feeling better soon (((()))) How are the hydration levels??
                            2009: BQ?

madness baby

Love the pics. Congrats on an amazing race, girls! And I second that ice bath (or shower on the legs, even, as it seems more tolerable).
                              deb
                                You guys did so great!!! Congrats again, love the pics and report. Hope you feel better in the morning Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group