Staying Accountable (Read 723 times)

AccountableRun

Hey folks,

I just started running and my big thing is staying accountable. I know that I can do it, I've pushed myself before and reached fitness goals, but I have never really run.

I want to run 5K in under 30 minutes by Feb 1 2013 (with no walking breaks). I've started a blog to keep me accountable, and I think it will actually help other people who are thinking of running.

So far, writing down goals, having a clear plan in place, and tracking progress has been a huge help. 

I hope that by being involved in forums and whatnot it will help keep me even more accountable! To have a look or to keep me even more accountable by reading/subscribing/following, check out Accountable Running at www.accountablerunning.com

Let me know how you stay accountable, too. I'm always looking for tips and help along the way.

Chat soon!

Curt

npaden

Posting here and keeping your log open helps keep you accountable.

I use a program called "GymPact" on my phone that pays me to run or if I don't meet my scheduled workouts, I have to pay.  That has gottem me to get out and get a run in one time when I just didn't feel like it.

Races are probably the biggest motivator to me though, if I don't get the training in, I won't be able to perform as well as I want to in the races.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

some call me Tim

Posting here and keeping your log open helps keep you accountable.

+1. Also, finding a running club in your community can be a huge help. The runners I've met around here are so friendly that at first I thought they were going to start proselytizing.

Let me know how you stay accountable, too. I'm always looking for tips and help along the way.

1. I tell everybody I know, my friends, my colleagues, my neighbours, the RA buddies and even street strangers sometimes.

2. I tell people when I get low. They (well most) will encourage you. And even just telling others can encourage myself.

3. I share experiences with others, especially in RA. The more I share and the more I read, especially people's logs, the more energy I get and I just feel the big community here even I couldn't find such a great one locally.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

MoBramExam

Mirrors.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I agree that a public log can really help keep you accountable. This site can be a valuable resource.

Where is your 5K time right now?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

#artbydmcbride

Mirrors.

ditto    .....and scale

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Curt,

Find someone here on RA who you want to keep up with. Every day you don't want to run, look at their log and notice they already ran and if you don't get out there you'll fall behind.  Even better, find a couple such pacers.  Live in fear of falling behind them. It's a heck of a driver.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

juniordo1

Hey folks,

I just started running and my big thing is staying accountable. I know that I can do it, I've pushed myself before and reached fitness goals, but I have never really run.

I want to run 5K in under 30 minutes by Feb 1 2013 (with no walking breaks). I've started a blog to keep me accountable, and I think it will actually help other people who are thinking of running.

So far, writing down goals, having a clear plan in place, and tracking progress has been a huge help. 

I hope that by being involved in forums and whatnot it will help keep me even more accountable! To have a look or to keep me even more accountable by reading/subscribing/following, check out Accountable Running at www.accountablerunning.com

Chat soon!

Curt

When people ask how I stay motivated and keep myself accountable I give them my .02:

Running is all about wanting to run. No amount of blogging, chatting, or dicussing will matter if, at the end, you don't really want to run.

So, you've decided you want to run?

I think logging your runs in a place such as this is a great idea.

Don't fudge your log! If you are honest about your log others can help motivate you and keep you accountable. They can identify training mistakes, point out weaknesses, and identify the things you are doing right.

I agree, you should have a plan and chart your progress. You'll gain confidence as you check the runs off.

Prove the naysayers wrong

List your goals in your signature for your posts. Cross them off when you complete them.

I like MoBramExam's response "Mirrors" -  When you complete a run, training plan, or your goal race, the person looking back at you in the mirror accomplished that.

Visualize wearing that 5K Finisher's shirt!

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

AccountableRun

Hey, thanks for the responses.

Having something online for all to see helps keep me accountable because it's one way for me to tell other people. Conversing and trying to 'meet' people, even online, is hugely helpful, I think, but is way outside the comfort zone. Certainly not a people person. So, I think I will have to take it easy and really think about finding others close by to run with, or join, as has been suggested.

I don't have a 5K time at the moment. I am sticking to 30 minute runs and and seeing where that gets me. While the goal was a bit arbitrary, it seemed attainable but very much out of my reach at the beginning. When I reach this goal I'd really like to book a race, because I think that would be insane accountability. Knowing that there's a race coming up that I have to 'train' for, as it were. 

Great tip to find others who run and compete in a sense, I'll certainly be exploring this site further and utilizing resources!

Cheers

Curt

Hoban-Jay

This site...especially with the User Groups and Forums are great motivators for accountability.

LRB

We all are different but for me, I am accountable to and for myself. 

Running-wise, there are things I want to accomplish and the simple fact that I want to accomplish them is all the accountability that I need.

As some of others have mentioned, I too tell coworkers about my running exploits and goals, and posting them helps too. 

But you either want something or you don't, so accountability ultimately begins and ends with the image in the mirror.

runTDC

Actually, the fact that the logs are right there visible was one thing that drew me to this site.  I really don't need anyone to tell me how I'm doing.  I tend to be my own worst critic, but it's nice that there is no hiding from the truth of my running...and an added bonus is that others can truly help me, as I need because it's right there for all to see.

OP...I have a friend that I run with on weekends.  We happen to compliment each other quite nicely as a team.  One thing that has helped to keep the weekday running in check is a daily email, telling the length, type, and pace of the run for the day.  If she emails me, I tend to get out...subtle peer pressure.

T.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊