Decreasing pace and its effect on training (Read 1144 times)

I'm just looking for a little feedback on my training. I've been running consistently for a year and found myself burning out and not looking forward to my runs. I got up to 20 mpw with little weekday runs (2 - 4 miles) and my "long" runs were about 6 miles. I know. The issue was, I found myself running the weekday easy runs at a hard pace (for me). To the point where I didn't look forward to them, where I was racing against my previous times and disappointed if I was over 10 min/mile. I did cut down my 5k time from 27:06 to 25:43, but I have only run 3 5ks. McMillan has me doing easy runs at 10:05 - 10:35, which I was not doing, but which I started trying. Recently I took a new approach: run as it feels good. Run easy, breathe, talk. Don't finish feeling like I want to puke. So that took my pace to around 11ish (I'm still feeling it out.) Oh, and I'm going to increase my long runs. Sorry for the babbling background. Now for my questions: 1. Will slowing my pace, but increasing my mileage, slow my 5k time? 2. Am I doing myself a disservice by slowing my pace lower than McMillan suggests (knowing it's just a guideline and Mr. McMillan is not there with his calculator running behind me yelling at me to pick it up a bit) 3. Should I throw in speedwork once a week or just focus on increasing my mileage until I reach my goal mpw (25 - 30). Overall goals are to decrease my 5k time, increase my weekly mileage, and eventually do a HM then a marathon (next fall). Thanks for any advice. Criticism welcomed!

Feeling the growl again

In the short term, your 5k may suffer a bit especially if you don't keep at least one faster workout in there per week. However, in your mileage range, increasing mileage is the #1 factor you can control to lead to faster 5K in the medium-long term (think in terms of 4-6 months or longer). You won't improve long-term if you hate it and either stop or skip runs as a result. You're better off keeping your easy days easy, getting a good hard workout in once a week or so.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Easy means really easy. The speed will come on its own.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        Ringmaster

Your background sounds a lot like mine. When I first started out my daily runs were all run at the same exact pace. I trained for my first half marathon this way. In fact, my race time was within a few minutes of my training run for the distance, because apparently, like the ignorant fool I was, I was running my long runs at tempo pace. Duh. Fast forward a few months, learn from better runners on RA, read some stuff, find out I'm supposed to slow down on most of my runs--especially my long runs. After my half, my focus was to improve my 5k time. I haven't beaten my PR yet, but I've come close. Better than that, I've raced better than the race at which I set my PR--paced myself more consistently, had a better ending kick, on a more difficult course, in much tougher conditions (August in Florida is pretty bad). I'm pretty certain when I run the course I set my PR on, I'll beat it. All this running my easy and long runs at closer to an 11min pace instead of 9:20. I think, long term, the slow-down training routine has benefits. First of all, it lowers your risk of injury because you're not going all-out all the time. Second, like you're discovering, it lowers the chance of burnout because it changes the focus. Instead of "beating your last time," you're free to change it up. Run 3 one day, 4 the next, 2 the day after. Hey, run a different route one day. It doesn't matter if it's hillier or trailier because you're not going for time. In fact, it's better because you'll use different muscles. No, you probably won't shave another minute off your 5k right away, but that kind of improvement would probably be hard to maintain anyway. You might set a short-term goal for your next race (25:30?) and a long-term goal (breaking the 25:00 barrier?) for later down the road. 1. I don't think your training pace necessarily directly affects your 5k time the way you fear. Your body will know at the start of a race that this is not training day. At least this has been my experience. 2. For all the reasons I mentioned, I think slowing down your training pace helps. 3. If you're at 20 mpw, then I think you can probably go ahead and start doing some speedwork. Why not dedicate one run a week to a hard effort in regards to speed and one run a week to a hard effort in regards to distance? These runs can be 3 days apart to spare your legs. You're already at a 7-mile long run, so you're well on the way to building up to 10ks and your HM goal. Sorry for the babbling response!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Carps10

how fast can you run 1 lap around the track? if it's very slow this will hint at poor muscular strength. daniels says that for new runners strength training is as important as running itself. decrease the pace, increase mileage, add strength training
              From personal experience, yeah, your 5k time will probably slow down as you increase mileage. I have to run 2 miles at 15:20 to max my army pt test. Last year I was getting 15:20-15:40 range very consistently. I then decided to actually do some running during the week and now I"m up to 30 mpw with my runs being slower but longer. My 2 mile is now in the 16 minute range and its very depressing, but I"m hoping this increase in mileage will eventually work. I just did my first 8.2 miler this morning and there is no way I could have run that far last year, so I'll take my couple seconds off the 2 miler for now and enjoy the fact that I can run waay longer than before! Smile
              Carps10

From personal experience, yeah, your 5k time will probably slow down as you increase mileage. I have to run 2 miles at 15:20 to max my army pt test. Last year I was getting 15:20-15:40 range very consistently. I then decided to actually do some running during the week and now I"m up to 30 mpw with my runs being slower but longer. My 2 mile is now in the 16 minute range and its very depressing, but I"m hoping this increase in mileage will eventually work. I just did my first 8.2 miler this morning and there is no way I could have run that far last year, so I'll take my couple seconds off the 2 miler for now and enjoy the fact that I can run waay longer than before! Smile
                Increased mileage will improve performances in everything from the 800 and up. More miles means more aerobic strength, which shouldn't slow down your performance in the 5k, a race is that is 95-97% aerobic. to tell someone running 20 mpw that a mileage increase will slow down their 5k is asinine IMO
                  You have two types of muscle fibers, slow twitch (type I) and fast twitch (type II). You actually have two types of fast twitch fibers, Type IIa and Type IIx (x = it keeps changing as they gain more info, used to be Type IIb) Type IIx are always anaerobic. They are also the fastest twitch. You use them to jump, throw, etc. Type IIa are "convertible" fibers. If you train them to be anaerobic, they will be anaerobic. Run track intervals too short and too fast, they become anaerobic. If you train them to be aerobic, they will be mostly aerobic. The 5k is almost completely aerobic. How to train type IIa to be aerobic? For easy runs less than 1 hour, your body uses mostly Type I slow twitch fibers. After about an hour, as your type I fibers tire, you start to recruit more and more Type IIa fibers and train them to be aerobic. What happens when you train your type IIa to be aerobic? You get faster when you run 5k's! (obviously if you run 100 miles a day, youll be dead and flat, so there is a limit)

Half Fanatic #846

to tell someone running 20 mpw that a mileage increase will slow down their 5k is asinine one person's opinion IMO
                    Fixed.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Carps10

Fixed.
                      NOBODY is successful at 5k off of 20 mpw....and I'm sure it JUST my opinion. Lydiard, Daniels, and every other coach on the planet would surely disagree with me and assert that running more than 20 mpw will slow down your 5k Wink
                      xor

(post removed; I'm staying out of this)

Increased mileage will improve performances in everything from the 800 and up. More miles means more aerobic strength, which shouldn't slow down your performance in the 5k, a race is that is 95-97% aerobic. to tell someone running 20 mpw that a mileage increase will slow down their 5k is asinine IMO
                          Whatever dude, I'm saying what happened to me. I said from my personal experience that's what happened. My LT told me from his experience (he races 5 or 10ks) he said I need to not just do long and slow but add speed work to keep my time low for my 2 miler. So if I was just to get my 30 miles a week by doing 6 miles at a slower pace, my time is not going to decrease right away. Yeah, eventually it will because getting more miles is better than just doing 2 miles fast every day. My time decreased the first time I ran it because my body wasn't used to running fast because all I was doing was long and slow trying to build my base mileage. Geez....I don't think that logic is all that asinine. Last year all I did was run a few times a week, 3.5 miles around 30 mins. Ran faster. Now I do usually 6 miles in about an hour every day. Ran slower.
                          Carps10

Whatever dude, I'm saying what happened to me. I said from my personal experience that's what happened. My LT told me from his experience (he races 5 or 10ks) he said I need to not just do long and slow but add speed work to keep my time low for my 2 miler. So if I was just to get my 30 miles a week by doing 6 miles at a slower pace, my time is not going to decrease right away. Yeah, eventually it will because getting more miles is better than just doing 2 miles fast every day. My time decreased the first time I ran it because my body wasn't used to running fast because all I was doing was long and slow trying to build my base mileage. Geez....I don't think that logic is all that asinine. Last year all I did was run a few times a week, 3.5 miles around 30 mins. Ran faster. Now I do usually 6 miles in about an hour every day. Ran slower.
                            it takes workouts to run a fast 5k. but it takes a base of more than 20 mpw to support those workouts.
                            JakeKnight

(post removed; I'm staying out of this)
                              I didn't even see your post, but I can guess what it said - so allow me:
                              Carps, the problem is not the substance of your post; its the delivery. Your first two sentences were great. The last sentence was a wholly unnecessary personal attack. The word "asinine" is not very nice. You could have even left the sentence and just changed that word. How about: misguided. Or: incorrect. Words have meanings. Use nice ones, unless you've got a good reason not to. And for the record, you're not necessarily entirely right on the substance, either. Yes, in the long-term, for almost any distance past 800m, nothing beats mileage. But its perfectly possible that a beginner runner could see a short-term decrease in short-race performance after upping the mileage and losing the speedwork. If that "asinine" poster sticks with the 30 miles per week, you're undoubtedly correct - their 5k times will naturally decrease.
                              NOBODY is successful at 5k off of 20 mpw....and I'm sure it JUST my opinion. Lydiard, Daniels, and every other coach on the planet would surely disagree with me and assert that running more than 20 mpw will slow down your 5k Wink
                              "Nobody" and "always" are sucker bets. Few things are that universal. There are probably some very fast 5kers who do less than 20 miles per week. Change all-caps NOBODY to "In general," and again you're right. But again the insulting tone. Is it necessary when you're right? Oh - and you need to define "successful." Don't you? Are there elite 5k'ers who do 20 miles per week. I doubt it. If there are, there aren't many. Are there "casual" runners who meet their 5k goals on 20 miles per week. Absolutely. Now play nice. ----------------- How'd I do, SrLopez? Right track?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

AnneCA

Over the course of a year, during which I gradually increased my weekly mileage from 10 to 20 and slowed down all of my runs, I knocked over 4 minutes off my 5k time. I ran the 5k over a full minute per mile faster than any of my training runs. Now, granted, the course was flat, and all of my everyday routes are hilly, so that no doubt helped. But, still, it surprised me -- where did that come from? If I wasn't training at that speed (really, never: no intervals, no speedwork), how did I manage to run a race at that speed? But I guess that's what a base will do for you. I haven't run any races that I would count since that 5k (one 90 degree 10k, and a trail race), so I'm curious to see what I can do with some upcoming races. Maybe I just got lucky with that 5k? (although I did also PR the 10k, despite the weather). Anyway, just one person's experience. Wink My regular training pace has been gradually creeping up again, just naturally, as what feels "easy" changes, and as I'm now in the 20-25 mpw range. I am just now gradually starting to add some speedwork -- if you can call a couple of striders toward the end of an easy run that -- because speedwork has in the past been a quick road to injury to me. I think my body is particularly quick to protest at speedwork. Once I saw the progress I could make even without it, all while staying injury free, it was an easy sell for me to give it up. I'm sure I will hit a plateau where I would need speedwork to see additional progress in my race times. When that happens, I'll reevaluate.