Quitting caffeine and running (Read 920 times)

Shiksa

Has anyone successfully quit caffeine and noticed overall health benefits and improvement as a runner? I'm considering getting this monkey off my back in hopes that it will help with my running and other nagging physical issues--nothing serious.

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

GP160

How much caffeine are we talking about here?
      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
        Why would you want to? -Trent who enjoys his coffee and soda
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Waits for Blaine to weigh-in. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Gaby

wake me up!

no caffeine ??? no such a thing as no caffeine! , why? it is not that bad and it just keep you moving... but if you want to, that's fine. I would do it slowly, reducing the amounts slowly good luck
              Waits for Blaine to weigh-in. Wink
              I was just thinking that!!! Smile Oh, that reminds me, I need to stop at Wawa this morning.

Michelle

Has anyone successfully quit caffeine and noticed overall health benefits and improvement as a runner? I'm considering getting this monkey off my back in hopes that it will help with my running and other nagging physical issues--nothing serious.
                A year or so ago I weaned myself off caffein (still drank decaff coffee) and no there wasn't any difference in my health, so after about 6 months or so I changed back to regular coffee. I don't drink coffee to help wake me up etc etc because it doesn't have that kind of an affect on me. HOWEVER I do enjoy myself a good cup of jo each morning.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't drink coffee to help wake me up etc etc because it doesn't have that kind of an affect on me. HOWEVER I do enjoy myself a good cup of jo each morning.
                  I like it because it's warm and tasty...and the caffeine "cleans me out" like clockwork. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I only drink about half a cup a day, and I think it's mostly because it's my treat of the day (usually). Sometimes I do cheat and have other treats (doughnut, or choc. chip cookie). But MOST OF THE TIME...my cup of coffee is just the right treat for me. And truly it is rare that I finish a whole cup. Normally I'm reheating the same cup from the a.m. up till 3 in the afternoon. Smile Oh, and I have thought of stopping to see if anything changes for my body but so far, I haven't pulled the trigger on that decision. I don't have enough of an argument to do so.

Michelle

GP160

I can only survive night shift by coffee installments. One cup first thing after waking up. One cup during roll call. One cup around 1am. One cup about 5:30 am to make the drive home. On day shift, I only have one cup in the morning and that is it. Smile No donuts ( widow makers) either....gun belt gets too tight.. LOL
                      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                        I like it because it's warm and tasty...and the caffeine "cleans me out" like clockwork. Wink k
                        Oh I forgot about that side effect. THAT ONE TOO for me Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

A year or so ago I weaned myself off caffein (still drank decaff coffee) and no there wasn't any difference in my health, so after about 6 months or so I changed back to regular coffee.
                          I did the same thing - but only for 2 or 3 months. I do drink about half as much now - not because I consciously cut back - maybe because I just got used to drinking plain water.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

-Trent who enjoys his coffee and soda
                            Not really...I am not a fan of soda... Wink
                              I can't even imagine life without coffee or tea. That monkey can stay right where he is. I might drink 3 cups of coffee a day & maybe a cup of tea in the afternoon. I rarely have issues falling asleep (I often fall asleep on the couch drinking a cup after my evening run) so, I'm luckier than some.
                              Gaby

wake me up!

That monkey can stay right where he is. Yes ! and drink some Margritas too!