Maffetone Method (Read 759 times)

hwd

Friend of mine tells me to read this book, "Training for Endurance". Says he started out on his first MAF Test with paces in the high 10 minute miles. By the end of the recommended 4 month program he's doing 7:50 miles in the same zone. I thought it sounded great and tried it. Aerobic training only for 3 1/2 months. At the end of the program I saw little improvement in my MAF test results. I feel like a slug now for running so slowly for several months and no weight either. Anyway, i'm curious to hear if anybody else has tried this and what kind of results you had.
      ...Anyway, i'm curious to hear if anybody else has tried this and what kind of results you had.
      You should go to the "Low HR Training" User Group, where you'll find some folks who know a lot about this, and there's at least one "hugely long" thread where people post their results. Be sure also to go the the FAQ which "formationflier" (aka Jesse Leitner) has put up and read that. Selection of the proper training HR for this basebuilding is easy for some and hard for others. Although Maffetone's "180 formula", with adjustments, seems to work fine for many people, I've seen a number of VO2 test results indicating that there are folks for whom the formula does not find the right HR very well (it is the point where there is a significant change of slope in the RER (RQ) vs HR graph.) I have been training for 4 months at the HR which my VO2 test indicated would be the best for LHR endurance basebuilding. This is only about 8 bpm below my training HR of last year, but it is paying off, judging from a HM I just did. Despite all conditions (sleep, food, weather) being worse this year, I beat last year's time by 21 minutes with a significant negative split and felt far better at the end. If you do MAF tests maybe once a month, it can take a while to have the variations due to conditions get evened out in the results you are seeing. I myself don't do traditional MAF tests, but just do a "pace" test every so often where I run a couple hours at a track and check my pace at the MAF HR by timing a lap every 20 to 30 minutes. Some people do a mile at a time, with walking a lap in between, some do the traditional 5 miles at HR recording each mile split, etc. The time it takes for people to get results varies. Some can see good results in only 4-6 months. For some it can take longer. Post your question over in the Low HR Training user group and you'll get good feedback.
      C-R

Gino is spot on. Go to this user group - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/ and start reading/asking. I've been using LHR for about four months but have sprinkled some races into the mix. I set a new PR in a HM while keeping my HR below 155 (my MAF is 138) and I'm training for a marathon this fall and expect to PR there as well. For reference - my MAF was 10:30 when I started and is now 9:20. Not great leaps but I know I can race at speeds better than when I was just doing the normal training. It's not for everyone and can be very challenging to one's patience but for me it has been good so far. BTW - the slower running has kept me on the road without those niggling injuries I've had in past years. So the extra miles have really helped me. Jesse, Jimmy and all the experienced group are very helpful in sharing their experience and knowledge. Best of luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/