GPS Import freezes (Read 1307 times)

I have searched the Tech Support forum and cannot find a discussion on this exact problem, so I am submitting this description: Specs: Browser: Firefox 3.0.9 OR Safari 3.2.1 OS: Mac OSX 10.5.5 GPS Unit: Garmin Forerunner 305 3.0, Software Version 2.80 Error Msg: none Problem: When I connect my Garmin and start the GPS Import, the data import gets to 100% and then freezes. I do not get the message that my data has been sent to the server. When I try and click on another area of the website, Firefox stops responding and I have to force a quit using Activity Monitor. Same thing happens in Safari. I restart Firefox, go through the same steps and sometimes I get the message that my data has been sent to the server on the second try, sometimes Firefox freezes again and I have to make a third try. Usually after three tries it works, my data is transferred and I can see it in my activity log. I absolutely love RunningAHEAD and the GPS integration, so I am willing to go through multiple tries to get my data downloaded. I am just wondering what is going on? Thanks! Carole
    2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I have had the same problem in the last week. I'm also running the latest version of Firefox on a Windows XP laptop.
        That is good to know that the same problem happens on a PC running Windows XP and Firefox as well. I was afraid the answer was going to be one of those "only happens on a MAC" answers. Wonder if it happens on a PC running Internet Explorer? Carole
        2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
        eric :)

I talked to the Garmin Connect developer about this problem and he speculated that there's a bit of corrupt data that confused the Garmin during downloading. I'm not keen on this answer because resetting the Garmin should not fix it if that's true. Anyhow, all you need to do is do a hard reset. Hold on to the Mode and Reset button for several seconds should let you get pass this problem. eric :-)
            Thanks, Eric! I have just recently updated the software on my Garmin, last week in fact. I will try this hard reset and see if that helps the problem. If I continue to get the same problem, I will delete all the historical data currently on my Garmin and see if that solves the problem. If the problem is really with corrupt data, then getting rid of all data should help, I will report back in a few days and let you know what the status is... Thanks again! Carole
              I get this problem on Chrome and my wife gets it on IE. For us this seems to happen at less than 100% (this morning mine got stuck at 31%), and it requires a restart of the browser to fix it. But you're saying mode-reset on the garmin will fix? I'll try that next time it happens. Note sometimes training center and sporttracks get a problem loading, and reload gets past that. I was thinking there's a problem in the USB driver for the garmin. (I also note the usb driver causes my vista PC to blue screen periodically, mostly on connection but one time it happened well after connection).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I have had that issue on and off from the beginning of the GPS import availability. I have found that if I actually leave my Garmin turned on (so it's showing my main 1 screen) I do not seem to have that problem. Also I do not try to do anything else on any other web page or using any other program until it's done. I still have had the issue once or twice doing that, but not near as often. I'll try the hard reboot on my Garmin next time also. Thanks I'm like you I love the ability to upload my Garmin to RA so I'll deal with having to upload it a couple of times if I have to. (Windows XP on IE 7.0)
                Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                  Since my original post, I performed the hard reset of my Garmin and have successfully uploaded twice with no problems until today and the same thing happened, except this time my entire operating system froze and I had to restart my Mac. After I restarted my Mac, went back into Firefox, the upload was successful .... So, now I will delete all the data on my Garmin since the Garmin support person suggested that some bit of corrupt data may be to blame and see if that works. I like the suggestion that "WillRunForBeer" made, a problem with the USB interface program on Garmin's end... Carole PS ... I, too, will run for beer!!!