Gel question (Read 528 times)

chrimbler

Ok, so here was what I was wondering on my 20 miler yesterday... If most people running a marathon have enough glycogen in their system for about 20 miles before they bonk, wouldn't taking 6 gel packs (about 100 cal each) over the first 20 miles get you through to the finish without hitting the wall? Just my thought for the day Cool
    Run like you stole it!

Another Passion

I think your question is covered by Trent in the latter portions of this thread: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/ed8db4cdd83446e18363e39bf42d99b7#focus

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ok, so here was what I was wondering on my 20 miler yesterday... If most people running a marathon have enough glycogen in their system for about 20 miles before they bonk, wouldn't taking 6 gel packs (about 100 cal each) over the first 20 miles get you through to the finish without hitting the wall? Just my thought for the day Cool
        Most people actually have enough glycogen to go farther than 20 miles if they don't go out too fast. And I don't know about most people but taking 6 gels over 20 miles would make me puke or otherwise cause a gut bomb far worse than any bonk. I have a hard time digesting food at marathon paces. In my last marathon I managed to get two gels down and on the third one my stomach said, "no mas."

Runners run