New to running - Training Plan - Goals - Questions (Read 111 times)

slonny

Hi, everyone,

I am very new to running and to this forum. I need some advice on building a solid base for future runs. My someday goal is to eventually run a 50 mile ultra.

Before this I used to strength train (Squats, Deadlifts, Shoulder Press, Bench Press) and run 1 time per week for about 20 minutes. Over the past few weeks I have increased my runs to about 14 miles per week.

I have been using heart rate training and focusing mainly on Zone 2 for now. I have seen significant improvements from my first run on 08/18/20, when my average pace in Zone 2 was 13:34 min/mi.

My last long run on 09/03/20 was 6.15 miles in Zone 2. Total time was 65 minutes. Average pace was 10:34 min/mi.

I have come up with a simple plan after reading a little bit about planning and running.

https://s945.photobucket.com/user/okurilen/media/Untitled-1.jpg.html

Goal: Build a solid base.

MPW: 25-30 mpw

Plan:

- short runs (Zone 1): 3 mi

- medium runs (Zone 2): 5 - 10 mi

- long runs (Zone 2): 60 - 180 min

Long Runs:

- Add 5 minutes to long runs every week. This is approximately 1 mile every 2 weeks.

Medium Runs:

- Increase by 1 mile every 5 weeks.

Deload Weeks:

- Take a deload week (15 - 25% less) every 4 weeks.

Any advice from experienced runners would be greatly appreciated. Am I going too slow? Is the mileage build up adequate for a novice runner? Would this plan provide a solid foundation for me when I start a training plan for a 50 mi ultra?

I not big on hydration and nutrition during the run. Currently, I do not drink any water during my runs, but drink plenty afterwards. As my longer runs increase I will need to hydrate myself properly. There is plenty information on this, and I am sure a simple water bottle will do for now.

As far as nutrition goes, should I even worry about eating something during longer runs? I feel that once I go beyond 90 minutes, I need to consider some sort of nutrition. What are your thought on this?

Thanks.

dumrunner

Looks like a good plan to me. Don't worry about pace; just run by feel, go a little faster when you feel good, but try to finish each run without being wrecked. Your goal is to keep to your plan, and be able to run the next time.

As for nutrition on the run, just experiment. Take something on your longer runs, but try to go a little farther each time before you eat. If you keep your pace reasonable, you will find you can go quite a ways without eating.

Kudos on setting your sights on a 50 miler. It's a great ultra distance. Far enough that you're out there for a long time, short enough that you get to spend the night in a bed. Give some thought to maybe trying a 50K towards the end of your eight month training plan. Look for something that is similar to the terrain of your 50 miler.

Good luck!

strambo

Your plan looks good.  I would recommend keeping some of the strength training. I credit some of the fact that I have not have a running injury in spite of training up for and completing a 100 due to the fact that I came into this running thing with above average strength, particularly lower body and core.

When I do a de-load week, I really de-load!  like, maybe 2 runs that week for a total of 10-12 miles.  I take advantage of the break to recover and do something other than running, I try to time it with a vacation etc.

Working up to a 50 mile peak week and doing a 50k a month-ish prior to the 50 miler (race or on your own) would be good preparation.  You can of course peak at higher mileage if you want.  I did the above before my 1st 50 and even though I wasn't fast, I had no issues finishing and no injuries or anything, I felt a lot better at the end than I pictured.

Nutrition: I found that at slow trail pace I can go ~3.5 hrs (about 20 miles) even starting in a fasted state and not need anything.  So, personally, I may do a hydration drink instead of water for 16-18 mile runs and mix in a little something to eat for 20+ mile efforts.

davidg123

Hello! I am new here too, and I am a little scared to start running. I like your plan, I also want to create one. I know that running is not everything, I have to pay attention to nutrition and weight training. Good luck!

SMART Approach

A 25-30 mile per week plan is not for a new runner. If a non runner, it takes some months to build to 25-30 miles per week if you want to stay injury free. Build slowly.

For the base plan for poster training at Zone 2 training is fine if you are tied to your heart rates - no need to do Zone 1 if you have some sort of base as that is basically walking. Or a simpler formula for easy pace is knowing your 5K race pace and then run 2:00 - 2:30  min oer mile slower. Even in base training I still think you need to stay in touch with some faster paces just much less volume. Striders a couple times per week and during a mid week run throw in a couple miles of tempo intervals, critical veleocity intervals and speed intervals rotating each of those over 3 week cycles. This still only accounts for 10% of your miles as faster stuff and will have no negative effect on base building and will definitely help you when you get on a training plan for a goal race in future.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A 25-30 mile per week plan is not for a new runner. If a non runner, it takes some months to build to 25-30 miles per week if you want to stay injury free. Build slowly.

That's for average people.  It took me two years to be able to average 30 miles per week, while a friend was able to run that much in two weeks.  Both of us were in our early 50's at the time, and neither of us had previous running experience. 

Build slowly is good advice.  If you build too slowly, it just takes a little longer.  Even with the best possible training program, it still takes 8 to 10 years to reach your peak running performance.

kledo5

asshat spammer
                baneco

Hi, everyone,

I am very new to running and to this forum. I need some advice on building a solid base for future runs. My someday goal is to eventually run a 50 mile ultra.

Before this I used to strength train (Squats, Deadlifts, Shoulder Press, Bench Press) and run 1 time per week for about 20 minutes. Over the past few weeks I have increased my runs to about 14 miles per week.

I have been using heart rate training and focusing mainly on Zone 2 for now. I have seen significant improvements from my first run on 08/18/20, when my average pace in Zone 2 was 13:34 min/mi.

My last long run on 09/03/20 was 6.15 miles in Zone 2. Total time was 65 minutes. Average pace was 10:34 min/mi.

I have come up with a simple plan after reading a little bit about planning and running.

https://s945.photobucket.com/user/okurilen/media/Untitled-1.jpg.html geometry dash meltdown

Goal: Build a solid base.

MPW: 25-30 mpw

Plan:

- short runs (Zone 1): 3 mi

- medium runs (Zone 2): 5 - 10 mi

- long runs (Zone 2): 60 - 180 min

Long Runs:

- Add 5 minutes to long runs every week. This is approximately 1 mile every 2 weeks.

Medium Runs:

- Increase by 1 mile every 5 weeks.

Deload Weeks:

- Take a deload week (15 - 25% less) every 4 weeks.

Any advice from experienced runners would be greatly appreciated. Am I going too slow? Is the mileage build up adequate for a novice runner? Would this plan provide a solid foundation for me when I start a training plan for a 50 mi ultra?

I not big on hydration and nutrition during the run. Currently, I do not drink any water during my runs, but drink plenty afterwards. As my longer runs increase I will need to hydrate myself properly. There is plenty information on this, and I am sure a simple water bottle will do for now.

As far as nutrition goes, should I even worry about eating something during longer runs? I feel that once I go beyond 90 minutes, I need to consider some sort of nutrition. What are your thought on this?

Thanks.

Maintain the steady increase in distance and effort. Overuse injuries may result from a rapid increase in mileage. Try to raise your weekly mileage total by no more than 10%.