Running Hoodies (Read 1263 times)

Julia1971

I'm noticing more and more tops in the running store are hoodies.  I'm trying to figure out this trend.  Is there a benefit to wearing a hoodie as opposed to a regular top and a hat?  All I've been able to think of so far is that unlike a hat, you don't have to hold it in your hand or stuff it somewhere if you get overheated and want to take it off.  Oh wait, I guess it might keep your neck warm, too.  Is that it?

I have one running hoodie.  It's a New Balance.  It's really nice--one of my favorite hoodies for general wear.

I have worn it running exactly one time, and I do not plan to repeat it.  I don't like the hood bouncing around.  I'm not sure why they're gaining popularity, though I do see a lot of students (I teach high school) who have them.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

Chasing the bus

I have a zip front new balance hoodie too, and I run in it constantly now. During transition temps, you can start hood up zipped up until warmed up, then hood down zipped down and even slide the sleeves up. I wore it yesterday with two long sleeve shirts under, and my buff for over my nose/mouth, and just the hood on my head at 5F. One of my most veritile pieces.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Julia1971

I don't like the hood bouncing around.  

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe you could tuck it in somehow?  Some of them look bulky, though.

Julia1971

During transition temps, you can start hood up zipped up until warmed up, then hood down zipped down ...

This is what I was thinking, too.  Usually after a few miles, I don't want my hat anymore because I'm too hot and/or it's soaked in sweat.  It's not annoying having the fabric behind your neck bobbing up and down?  Or is it one of those things you get used to?  Maybe like how the Garmin 305 looks massive but after a while you don't notice it.

This is what I was thinking, too.  Usually after a few miles, I don't want my hat anymore because I'm too hot and/or it's soaked in sweat.  It's not annoying having the fabric behind your neck bobbing up and down?  Or is it one of those things you get used to?  Maybe like how the Garmin 305 looks massive but after a while you don't notice it.

...as a 305 user, I'm now considering giving the hoodie another chance.  Once it actually gets cold here, anyway (53F right now...somehow).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Julia1971

...as a 305 user, I'm now considering giving the hoodie another chance.  Once it actually gets cold here, anyway (53F right now...somehow).

Yeah, give it another chance and report back.  If you convert, maybe I'll get one.  Smile

Chasing the bus

I'll have to pay more attention, but I don't recall it bugging me. It's light and soft anyway, and I don't bounce much. Compared to running with a hydration fanny or backpack, nothing. I honestly am amazed. I got it on clearance, but I'm on the lookout for another now, and I might pay retail, if I had too (I NEVER pay retail for anything except, occasionally, shoes).

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The loss of peripheral vision would probably find me bent over some hood ornament. 

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Well-designed hoods can be life savers in cold, windy weather. The collars are a bit higher to provide more warmth around the neck, even if the hood isn't up. The hood can seal small openings between hat, neoprene earbands, and facemask. And if it wasn't that cold when you started out so you didn't bring a hat, but the wind comes up on the mountain, it's really nice to have a hood to pull up. Well-designed hoods still allow decent visibility. Many hoods can be latched down so they don't bounce or can be stuffed in back of your shell.

Most hoodies that I've seen don't have a neck portion to the hood and wouldn't be that functional IMHO.

I had my hood on tonight to keep my hat from getting blown off. (the weather said it was calm - but not where I was)

PS: They're great for some wind protection over a balaclava, which have minimal, if any, wind resistance.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Oh roo roooo!

The loss of peripheral vision would probably find me bent over some hood ornament. 

Yes!  I HATE the way a hood limits my peripheral vision--thought it was just a personal pet peeve, but I see others are bothered by it also.

No Talent Drips

If money is no object

This hoodie is very light weight, good for a sunny winter day (20 deg +) and the hood is tight fitting so it does not impact peripheral vision. One of my favorite running pieces.

Dei Gratia

Best Present Ever

The thin hoodies don't impact peripheral vision, actually,  I like them.  As Julia points out, they keep my neck warm and I can push it back without losing it if I get too hot. I mostly save my hoodie for really cold days.  Mine fits tight on my head -- not at all like a cotton hoodie -- and doesn't bounce.  

Maggie & Molly

The thin hoodies don't impact peripheral vision, actually,  I like them.  As Julia points out, they keep my neck warm and I can push it back without losing it if I get too hot. I mostly save my hoodie for really cold days.  Mine fits tight on my head -- not at all like a cotton hoodie -- and doesn't bounce.  

this is my thought.  My hoodie fits snug to my head/neck so it keeps me warm and I can just push it off if I warm up. 

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

seeEricaRun

Awesome

It may not be as trendy looking as some other hoodies, but my husband and I swear by our Sugoi Speedsters. They are fleece lined and the ends of the sleeves fold over to make makeshift gloves as well. Makes it harder for me to lose anything, which I do regularly. The hood hangs fully back, so there is no loss of peripheral vision. It also has a pony tail hole, so you can look ridiculous.

The newer versions have a rather large pocket on the side that fits my cell phone, so that's awesome too.

I recommend finding a sale, since they are expensive as *(#&$@(*#&$ new.