ING Miami 1/27/08 (Read 625 times)

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Who's running this one? I'm using it as an early training run for the National Marathon in March, yeah I know its waaaay too early for that but I had to have an excuse! DW is running the HM and we're both running the 5K the day before.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
    My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
    Ride 112 miles.
    Run 26.2 miles.
    Then brag for the rest of your life.
    -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

me! me! *waves hand excitedly* I just got the email that they changed the course slightly, now even more of it runs through familiar territory. It's my first, I'm pretty excited. Hoping for a nice "cool-ish" day. There are currently 11,000 people registered, but I'll be wearing black shorts and my white RA tank in case you happen to see me (MTA like in my profile pic). Cool
        I'll be there running the full. I'm very excited. I'm in philly and was going to go down and run with a friend, but he bowed out with an injury. I'm going to have a great time anyway. Being from philly, I'm a little concerned with the heat. Last week I did a bunch of training runs in below freezing temperatures. Then, on Sunday, I ran my last 20 miler. It must have been around 50-55, and I was dying. I was overdressed, but still... Shaunna you think the course changes look good? It seems from the website, I haven't looked at the email yet, that they added a short out-and-back on a causeway towards the end of the race. I'm skeptical. Anyway, I race in teal acsic shorts and a tech tee-shirt, start around the 3:20 projection, and taking the shuttle from Miami Beach to and from the start on race day. Good luck.
          It must have been around 50-55, and I was dying. I was overdressed, but still... Shaunna you think the course changes look good? It seems from the website, I haven't looked at the email yet, that they added a short out-and-back on a causeway towards the end of the race. I'm skeptical.
          Oh I'd love if it got down into the 50s, but it'll probably be 60-70s. The heat is tough, even if you are used to it. Luckily the race starts at 6 am, so (you at least) should be finishing up before it gets too hot. I'm not sure why they made the course change. Even though it does go out to the causeway which has gorgeous views, it's not going far enough to out to really see them. Not to mention the causeway is the only way to get to Key Biscayne and it sounds like they aren't closing the whole road (which would cause big problems), so I'm wondering how that will work. I'm excited about it though since I have a ton of friends that live on Key Biscayne and now they can ride their bikes and come cheer without having to deal with the rukus downtown. The causeway is probably the most famous place for runners/bikers/triathletes to train here, so it does make sense they'd include it. They close one half of it for short triathlons in the summer, but I cannot imagine how they will keep it blocked off for 6 hours, and if they are using the underpass part it sounds like they have to close both sides of the road.
            I forgot to add that you'll probably need to hold you breath on the turn around underpass. Lots of people go finishing along the causeway and use the underpass as their bathroom, so it often reaks of urine. It's a quick, short distance to cover though, and the rest of the causeway is pretty. I'll probably be way behind both of you from the start so I doubt I'll see you, but good luck!
            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

I didn't get an email about a course change, although since I'm not from there and not familiar with the course anyway I guess it really doesn't matter too much. I'll look on the website. I have had some flue issues this past week so it looks like my taper is starting early Undecided I was really hoping to get another 20 miler in before, but maybe not.

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.

Shaunna, thanks for the info. Like Kev, I haven't gotten the email yet either, which seems a little strange. I did get earlier email from the race org. It's cool that they changed the course to cover a portion that gets a lot of training use. That addition is pretty cool for local runners, so I can appreciate that. I am certainly worried about the heat and have been checking accuweath daily (can you tell I'm excited) to see if I can will a cold front. Kev, sorry to hear about the flu, though the timing could certainly have been worse. Start your tapper, eat some soup and I'll bet you'll have a good run.
                ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

OK things are looking up, I got up really early and got in 18.5 miles this morning before work. the first 10 were great, the last 8.5, not so good, but I got them in and considering I've been off for a week, I can't complain.

Swim 2.4 miles.
                  Ride 112 miles.
                  Run 26.2 miles.

Kev - Glad to hear you got in a long run. I'm impressed: I can't get myself out for a short run before work never mind 18.5.
                      Hey everyone,I will be there!There is a group of us running the full and few running the half from Indianapolis,Indiana.Or top guy shoud be around 2:37-2:42 and for me looking aroung 2:50's probably the back side of that with the heat.Hope everyone has a great race.
                      ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Looks like Indiana will be very well represented! Anyone else running the 5K the day before?

Swim 2.4 miles.
                        Ride 112 miles.
                        Run 26.2 miles.

Is this the "Kev" from the Coolrunning PDP group? If so, HI! And I'll be there running the 1/2. We'll have to meet! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Indy: Nice milage I'm impressed/jelous. Good luck breaking 3:00. Let us know if you do.
                            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Is this the "Kev" from the Coolrunning PDP group? If so, HI! And I'll be there running the 1/2. We'll have to meet! Bill
                              BILL!!! Yup it's me, how have you been? I was wondering if you were running this. We will be arriving in Miami Friday (1/25) morning. We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, not too far from the start line.

Swim 2.4 miles.
                              Ride 112 miles.
                              Run 26.2 miles.

Tri-Kev that's where some of us are staying.We are checking in on Friday as well.Maybe we can hook up.