Advice for getting better for people who are overweight but able to run reasonably well (Read 130 times)

Seanzie

I am 32 years old, 6'  tall, medium-to-medium large build and 245lbs. If I was at my preferred weight, I'd probably be around 195 lbs, so I am a bit overweight

I've enjoyed non-competitive running my entire adult life, and try to keep up a running schedule of 3 days a week, usually 2-5 miles a run with an occasional longer run around 8-12 miles thrown in. I sometimes fall off the running wagon though and will be mostly sedentary for a month or two before getting back into it. As I've gotten a little older (and a little more overweight), I've found my pace and distances have slowly decreased so maintaining even 10-15 miles a week is a struggle sometimes.

I know my diet could use some work, and I am working on that, but I also want to work on getting better at running, in particular increasing my pace (I currently run between 10 and 11 minutes a mile, depending on how I'm feeling or if I decide to throw in a mile or two where I'm really pushing myself), distances, and total mileage. Unfortunately, most resources I find online are either for people whom are significantly more in shape and further along on their running journeys than I am, or are for people who are not regular runners (I don't need a couch potato to 5k article, I can run a 10k without major effort, and a half marathon would kick my butt, but I'm fairly certain I could finish [with a... not so great time, but still] without specifically training for it)

So, my question is, what advice would you give for someone like me who wants to increase their pace and miles/week while avoiding injury?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'd suggest running more days/week, even if it means running fewer miles/day at the start.  Jack Daniels suggests that a safe way to increase your weekly mileage is to limit your weekly increase to the number of days you run (so if you run 3 days/week, don't add more than 3 miles/week).  Luke Humphreys suggests generally limiting your longest runs to two hours or less as beyond that the risk of injury increase faster than the benefits you'll get.  Also, make sure at least half your weekly mileage is at an easy pace (one at which you could maintain a conversation) - running hard every time out will increase the chance of injury.  As someone who was once well over 200 pounds, another tip I'd give is to expect your shoes to wear out sooner than most reviews tend to project and to be prepared to buy new shoes more often.  Last, be patient.  If you take your time and build your mileage gradually, you increase your chances of doing so without injury and over time the improvement in pace will come naturally.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

kcam

Agree with the above.  If you want to improve at running then a sensible, conservative increase in the time you spend running will improve your fitness whether you lose weight or not.  There's no magic involved.

As a 215 pound runner i run off road most of the time. I would try it a few times a week .

SMART Approach

Run a 2 mile time trial or race a 5K. For your next 4 - 6 months, run 90% of your runs or mileage at 2-3 min/mile slower pace per mile and gradually build up your miles and aerobic base. This is your ticket to safe continued progress. Running faster less days per week increases risk and gains come to a grinding halt. Volume is your foundation and friend. Build your base first (cake) and work on icing later.

Note: the other 10% of miles should be striders 1-2 days a week and a faster finish run. The rest easy peasy.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

+1 to what @Tchuck said.  I would add that 10 to 11 minutes per mile at your current weight and level of fitness is almost certainly too fast.  Shorten your runs to 2 or 3 miles, and run more days per week.  When you get to where you are normally running six days per week, and five days in a bad week, then gradually increase the length of the runs.  Speed will come by itself.  If you feel run down, you are pushing too hard.

I once found myself running with an elite athlete.  He was running 12 minutes per mile on a routine training run.

Love the Half

Pretty much agree with what has been said.  If you want to run faster, start by running more and that includes running more days per week.  There is nothing wrong with doing a fast finish once or twice a week but, for the most part, focus on jogging (I use that term deliberately to illustrate the correct level of effort) and on running more days per week.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Seanzie

I appreciate everyone's advice. I've added a fourth day to my running schedule, and after a few weeks will try to incorporate a fifth as well. I don't think I will go to 6 days a week though, as I'd like to keep at least one day free of running to do some strength training and one day for rest. Also, a lot of people suggested not worrying about pace, and I think that has already started to help. Not including segments where I push myself hard in every run has made me feel more well-rested than I usually feel even though I ran an extra day this last week and didn't have a two-day break.

One other question - on a 4-day-a-week running schedule, if I wanted to incorporate one longer run, which run should it be (assume I run xxoxoxo (x being running days o being off days)? Same question for a 5-day-a-week running schedule (say xxoxxxo), which day should it be?

an amazing likeness

Whichever day works best for your personal schedule. Seriously.  There's no magic "right". Lots of folks do the longer run on their weekend just as logistics of time work out.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Seanzie

I am not worried about what specific day of the week, but which day in the running schedule is most recommended. I can adjust the schedule to my week if need be.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I am not worried about what specific day of the week, but which day in the running schedule is most recommended. I can adjust the schedule to my week if need be.

As that is likely to be the most demanding run, I would suggest one of the days with a rest day both before and after it on your 4 day a week schedule.  On  the 5 day schedule, I would suggest the day before a rest day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jogger bobby

I appreciate everyone's advice. I've added a fourth day to my running schedule, and after a few weeks will try to incorporate a fifth as well. I don't think I will go to 6 days a week though, as I'd like to keep at least one day free of running to do some strength training and one day for rest. Also, a lot of people suggested not worrying about pace, and I think that has already started to help. Not including segments where I push myself hard in every run has made me feel more well-rested than I usually feel even though I ran an extra day this last week and didn't have a two-day break.

One other question - on a 4-day-a-week running schedule, if I wanted to incorporate one longer run, which run should it be (assume I run xxoxoxo (x being running days o being off days)? Same question for a 5-day-a-week running schedule (say xxoxxxo), which day should it be?

One way to know if you're running too fast is to look into heart rate training or Maffetone method or similar. When I started doing this it forced me to slow down especially on long runs. I agree with others that slowing down for most of your runs while running more consistently even for shorter distances is your key.

Remember that running alone is not associated with significant weight loss. It makes you hungry then you eat more. So it does have to be paired with diet change to lose weight, if that is your goal.

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:02 (2022)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 5:59

400m - 1:10