progress (Read 2000 times)

JoggingPanda

Ok today will be my first attempt with running for time. I will set a goal of 45 minutes I will run walk jog and crawl for 45 minutes till i put the time in. Thanks for the advice.

JoggingPanda

Son of a gun, I owe you a gut punch milktruck. 45 minutes of running / walking wrecked me. I ran a whole lot more then a mile. I could not even be bothered keeping track of my distance this was a great running session. My calves were the limiting factor of this running session they fatigued and started to hurt that is when I would have to stop and walk. I think I like running for time better then running for distance.

an amazing likeness

Whoa, if you're really "wrecked"  you need to back it down.  Less time or less running in the same amount of time. 

I wouldn't back off too much time, you want the aerobic work and you have to make it worth the effort of the costume change.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JoggingPanda

It was fine Milktruck, it was a good challenge. I will probably keep on doing it, because I can see how it is going to help me out a lot. It did get me pretty good, a lot more then when I try to run a mile.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

JP - if your calves are the limiting factor, walk more than jog and jog slower than you were. My calves got aggravated by the hills in my new neighborhood along with migration to minimal shoes and barefoot running on the same hills - every day for months. I've had to walk more to get them loosened up, as well as find level ground to run on. Had helped a lot, but now with the heat I have to walk more to keep hr down to reasonable level (for me)

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Son of a gun, I owe you a gut punch milktruck. 45 minutes of running / walking wrecked me. I ran a whole lot more then a mile. I could not even be bothered keeping track of my distance this was a great running session. My calves were the limiting factor of this running session they fatigued and started to hurt that is when I would have to stop and walk. I think I like running for time better then running for distance.

JoggingPanda:

It is very difficult for ANYBODY to give any sort of advice without knowing much at all about the individual.  I may be totally off but I'll take a crack at guessing here.  The fact you can run 100m in 17 seconds (X4) indicates to me that you are fairly young.  Yet, the fact you are having a hard time completing one mile indicates also that you are in fact, hate to point this out, sadly out of shape.  If you are in fact a young fella and having a hard time running a mile, that's pretty bad.  If you are not that young, then being able to run 100m in 17 seconds is not too shabby at all. 

Doing one telephone pole run/walk is actually a very good way to get started.  I believe someone might have recommended C25K program???  I think it's a very good way to start, however, your first goal should be to get to the point where you can run 15 minutes WITHOUT STOPPING.  I know a lot of programs today seem to suggest you do run/walk pattern but we believe that that kind of approach actually hinder certain developments.  You need a coneinuous pressure by the heart.  It is actually quite amazing how quickly your heart rate comes down once you stop running. 

I can't remember if someone (MilkTuck?) suggested you go for 45 minutes???  Either way, just because someone threw a bogus number, whatever it may have been, just get out and do that blindly is not a smart approach.  The most important feedback is your own body's reaction and your ability to listen to it.  A good example is; if your calves are screaming, it's a very good clear indication that you did too much.  Back off.  Of course, it may have come from 4 X 100m sprint work as well.  Getting out and doing 4 X 100m sprint, just because you felt like doing them, is not "training".  You'll need to get some sort of pattern established and work your way up to more work at harder effort COMFORTABLY.  Doing 4 times of 100m sprint most probably didn't do you much good in terms of aerobic development.  So, when your main target is to develop your aerobic fitness, throwing such workout wouldn't mean much.  That said, however, I'm actually a big fan of including some sort of leg-speed work.  But the trick is; you shouldn't sacrifice the main development.  So each workout should have a priority. 

Once you got up to the point where you can run 15 minutes without stopping, regardless of the distance, then you should start fractuating the duration of each day's running.  You should do a 15-minutes run followed by, say, 8 minutes--or 2 X 5 minutes with a minute or two of walking break...something like that; then get it back up to, say, 12-minutes...  When 15-minutes becomes comfortable, then bring it up to 17 minutes; then 20-minutes...then bring up all those intermediate runs longer... 

At any rate, your present goal should be getting up to 15~20 minutes of non-stop running regardless of how slow or fast it may be, regardless of how far you're covering.  As you get fitter, your running speed will improve naturally and you will be covering more distance within the same duration of workout.  Once you get the hang of "listening to your body", you'll be surprised how quickly your body adapts to going the distance.  Have fun!!

JoggingPanda

Nobby415- I am 28 years old  5'8" tall and 310 pounds. So saddly out of shape may not cover how out of shape i actually am. My original plan with the sprints was to do 8 100M sprints stopped after 4 because it was beating up my joints to much. I have always been an ok sprinter a 17 second 100M is not my best, but it is the best I can do now. And I ran the sprints because I love sprints and want to be able to run a mile faster.

My calves on the day of the 45 minute run were hurting, not an injured feeling just a painful pump, nothing worth stopping over. I try to listen to what my body tells me, because at 310 pounds If I do some thing wrong for very long it will injure me. I understand that my training looks like shit. I have never trained to run in my life, now I am.

I admit I am totally confused by half the stuff, people say when talking about running. Splits and pace, tempo it is all just so much to think about when running I like to try to keep it simple. Run farther then last time, or faster then the last time. I need something simple like that to progress, I don't need the best training program in the world just a simple one that does not overwhelm.

*Edit- If after reading my age and weight and the other info, if you have any more suggestions hit me up. I welcome all advice or info that anyone can drop on me try to keep it simple though.

Nobby415- I am 28 years old  5'8" tall and 310 pounds. So saddly out of shape may not cover how out of shape i actually am. My original plan with the sprints was to do 8 100M sprints stopped after 4 because it was beating up my joints to much. I have always been an ok sprinter a 17 second 100M is not my best, but it is the best I can do now. And I ran the sprints because I love sprints and want to be able to run a mile faster.

My calves on the day of the 45 minute run were hurting, not an injured feeling just a painful pump, nothing worth stopping over. I try to listen to what my body tells me, because at 310 pounds If I do some thing wrong for very long it will injure me. I understand that my training looks like shit. I have never trained to run in my life, now I am.

I admit I am totally confused by half the stuff, people say when talking about running. Splits and pace, tempo it is all just so much to think about when running I like to try to keep it simple. Run farther then last time, or faster then the last time. I need something simple like that to progress, I don't need the best training program in the world just a simple one that does not overwhelm.

*Edit- If after reading my age and weight and the other info, if you have any more suggestions hit me up. I welcome all advice or info that anyone can drop on me try to keep it simple though.

The size or age or gender don't really matter when it comes down to fundamentals and, if you want to improve your fitness, you've got to do some sort of continuous endurance exercise to work your heart and lungs and all the plumbing.  Only perhaps the approach may need to be modified slightly.

28 is fairly young as I had suspected!! ;o)  It is most likely your young man's muscle tone that carried you through 17-second 100m.  I'm all for keeing the act of running simple.  However, to get out and blast through 100m as fast as you can till you literally give up (like it sounds like you did) or trying to get out and run a little further or faster than you did yesterday is NOT the way to go about and you are most likely bound to be disappointed.  Human body just don't work that way.  It takes 3~7 days before you see the benefit of what you did today.  Of course, you can't just sit around and do nothing during those 3~7 days; hence HARD/EASY program. 

310 pounds is a hell of a lot of weight to carry around.  I trust you're doing your side of homework to lose weight by dieting, etc.  You've got to bring it down.  For someone who's 5'8", it's literally like you are carrying someone on your back all the time.  But a good news is; you ARE probably strengthening your heart and lungs and all your leg muscles twice as much as most of us in the every single living minute--once you lose weight, that would kick in in a double dose!! (I always tell my wife that I'll lose some weight after the hill training period because, with extra weight, I'm working on my legs extra hard going up the hill!! ;o)).  But that's more of a reason why you probably SHOULDN'T be doing those sprints--too much shock to your joints. 

You've got to lose some weight and you've also got to do some sort of continuous exercises.  Running is, of course, probably the best aerobic exercise but, for the time being, it may be wise for you to do some hiking over rugged trail if you can find one near you.  I would recommend you do some continuous hiking, say, for an hour to shoot for for now, going up and down the hills.  If you do that over the weekend, then do some jog/walk combination for, say, 15 minutes (telephone pole stuff or 3 minutes in-and-out or something like that--if you're interested, I can send you a PDF file of our beginner's program; send me your e-mail address) for the next 2 days (Monday and Tuesday); then go another longish hiking, say, 30~40 minutes; jog/walk for next 2 days....take Saturday off.  Something like that.  As you get fitter, you'll know when to increase your jog segment of your jog/walk program; when to go further on your hiking; when you throw some trotting during your hiking..., etc.  The trick is; not to squeeze something too hard or struggling.  The trick is; just do enough so you feel you are not 100% done at the end of your workout.  That way, you keep doing that and someday, you want to do more or harder not because the schedule tells you so; but because you'll want to do so.  Trying to do a little further or faster than yesterday; or trying to do as many 100m sprints as fast as you can; although sounds simple and sounds somewhat logical, is not the smart way to develop but sure way to get burnt out or wreck yourself.  Good luck!

To add some more; I have noticed, this day and age, people who want to run don't seem to always want to run (???).  To me, if you want to run, you run and, if you can't, you walk (hike).  If you have a choice, do some pool running or something very similar to running.  Today, many people tend to like to do lots of other things.  That is fine too but you just need to put things in perspective.

If you have an access to the gym or if you're already working out at the gym, some of the non-weight bearing exercises would be good for you initially.  Eliptic machine or NordicTrack machine would be my first picks; followed by stationary bike.  Pool running, or aqua running, is also good but it is quite tiring.  Again, my biggest suggestion to you is not to try to work your ass off each time; but instead, maintain the comfortable effort and keep doing that for a long period of time continuously.  If you do try eliptic machine of NordicTrack XC machine, keep a comfortable effort, with HR about 120~140, and see how long you can do.  Shoot for 30-minutes at first and then 45 minutes and then an hour...  You've got to find that level of effort you can maintain comfortably for an hour.  Once you get to that point, you'll be on your way to the fitness that you had never thought possible.

JoggingPanda

Nobby415 I tried to message you my email address but my internet may have screwed it up let me know if you got it. If not I will send it again.

Nobby415 I tried to message you my email address but my internet may have screwed it up let me know if you got it. If not I will send it again.

Just came back from one grad party and moving on to the next one!!  No, I didn't get it so try again or send it directly to nobby415@msn.com 

Double IPA Please!

NOBUYA SAN!

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

an amazing likeness

I can't remember if someone (MilkTuck?) suggested you go for 45 minutes???  Either way, just because someone threw a bogus number, whatever it may have been, just get out and do that blindly is not a smart approach.  The most important feedback is your own body's reaction and your ability to listen to it. 

Well...in my own defense...what I suggested to the JoggingPanda was that he pick a daily time goal and walk / jog for that time goal rather than distance in order to build aerobic capacity at a moderate, sustainable level rather than his approach of trying run a mile.  I did not advocate for a specific number of minutes as a target.  (I did say. "for example, 45 min" with the intent that he'd pick the time appropriate for JoggingPanda).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Well...in my own defense...what I suggested to the JoggingPanda was that he pick a daily time goal and walk / jog for that time goal rather than distance in order to build aerobic capacity at a moderate, sustainable level rather than his approach of trying run a mile.  I did not advocate for a specific number of minutes as a target.  (I did say. "for example, 45 min" with the intent that he'd pick the time appropriate for JoggingPanda).

MilkTruck:

I wasn't criticising YOU; but rather criticising JoggingPanda for following whatever the suggestion blindly without consulting with his own feedback.

NOBUYA SAN!

Busted!! ;o)  Tomorrow!!  Gotta run to another grad party!