WOMAN Challenge (Read 717 times)

shyrunner07

just found this blurb in my issue of Real Simple...thought i'd pass along the info in case anyone was interested (XY chromosome bearers are encouraged to take part too!)... The US Dept of Health and Human Services is running an 8week long WOMAN (Women and girls Out Moving Across the Nation) Challenge, encouraging women and girls to walk 10,000 steps or get 30 minutes of moderate exercise/day (according to the FAQs boys are allowed to take part in this challenge too Smile). It runs from Mothers Day (may 13)-july 8 (the start date also coincides with the 8th annual National Women's Health Week)... If you register by May 1, they will send you a free pedometer and information to track your activity (register asap due to the limited quantities of pedometers). You can pick a virtual route to travel across the country (divided into different US regions). Each week you meet your goal of activity, you are moved 1/8th of a way along your route... Info about Nat. Women's health Week... "What is National Women's Health Week? * National Women's Health Week is sponsored by the Office on Women's Health in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The goal of National Women's Health Week is to encourage women to take simple steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. The Week runs from May 13 to May 19, 2007, and kicks off with National Women's Check-Up Day on May 14, 2007, to encourage women to schedule an appointment with their doctor or other health care provider for an annual check-up and health screenings. For more information on National Women's Health Week, see www.womenshealth.gov/whw/ " http://www.womenshealth.gov/woman/woman-fs.cfm *Register is the first tab on the left hand side* Sounded interesting, and i'm all for freebies (free pedometer- woot!), so i went ahead and signed up... /spam but not really spam
      That's interesting! It reminds me a little of what we used to do at work. Human Resources would choose a MI destination (like to the bridge and back) and then we'd form teams to see who, with their combined mileage, could get there first. It really helped to motivate a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't normally have walked. We did a lot of walking on lunch breaks too!