Forerunner 305 in the rain (Read 1036 times)

Is it safe? I know it says it's waterproof at like 1 meter for up to 30 mins or something like that. But does the rain bother it? Just wanna know soon...it's raining. Smile
      Mine has never been affected by rain. Not even a torrential downpour.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mine has never been affected by rain. Not even a torrential downpour.
        *nods*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

They are waterproof to the point where you can get rained on or take a shower with it on. But you're not supposed to swim with them. At least the 405 is that way.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            Ran in downpoor with dh's 305 this past Friday. Wasn't paying attention to it. However when I went to actually check what my time was I could see condensation inside. It ended up fogging up later. It's a little over a year old.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ran in downpoor with dh's 305 this past Friday. Wasn't paying attention to it. However when I went to actually check what my time was I could see condensation inside. It ended up fogging up later. It's a little over a year old.
              Same here. The condensation dried up in about a day, and it didn't appear to adversely affect the watch. Nevertheless, since then, I tend to leave the Garmin at home when the rain is coming down steady.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So why are the Garmins not more water-resistant? Wouldn't it make sense to design a device that could be used by triathletes and people who run in the rain that would withstand immersion in shallow water or water from rain?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

according to the 205/305 manual:
                  Water resistance: IEC 60539 IPX7 (submersible to one meter for up to 30 minutes). Note: this product is not intended to be used while swimming.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

uncontrollable

I had a 40$ timex ironman for 4 years, I swam with that sucker, never an issue. C'mon Garmin = get with it!

peace

kcam

I had a 40$ timex ironman for 4 years, I swam with that sucker, never an issue. C'mon Garmin = get with it!
                      I used to scuba dive with my old Timex 100lap Ironman. Down to 60 feet and never had a problem. My Garmin 205 will show condensation in the screen if I wear it in the rain. Garmin should be able to make the screen a little more waterproof.

Top 'O the World!

I sweat like crazy all the time w/mine...except for when I'm actually running in the rain/snow (as I did today) in which case, I usually have sleeves over it to a degree....(37* F) I just leave it out to completely dry out before I download/charge it....it's over 1 yr old & so far, so good Yes
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I sweat like crazy all the time w/mine...except for when I'm actually running in the rain/snow (as I did today) in which case, I usually have sleeves over it to a degree....(37* F) I just leave it out to completely dry out before I download/charge it....it's over 1 yr old & so far, so good Yes
                          I recommend putting scotch tape over the sound holes. Mine went silent last year, probably due to a combination of sweat and sunscreen getting in there.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

My 305 survived the Great SleetRainSnowRainWindSnowRainRainRainBlizard at the Glass City Marathon. I thus assume it can withstand just about anything I'm likely to subject it to.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

runningmn

I don't recall seeing it in the Garmin 305 manual, but other devices I have had, that are of limited waterproof sometimes say not to press the buttons while in water. As a general rule I don't press buttons on electronic devices in the rain (i.e MP3 player).
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My 305 survived the Great SleetRainSnowRainWindSnowRainRainRainBlizard at the Glass City Marathon. I thus assume it can withstand just about anything I'm likely to subject it to.
                                The soundtrack for this post is Led Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain".