Feel like I joined a club... (Read 937 times)

Giants Fan

Ok, today was my first twenty miler ever!! Concentrated on right pace for LSD and just finishing. I DID IT!! It felt great to be done and know I've covered a distance like that. Had to post here where there are people who truly understand what it takes to run 20.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

so I'm not one of those 'club members' who knows what it takes to get to 20 miles, but maybe someday a long, long time from now. Smile Wow - that's impressive. Great job!!
      -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
        I'm jealous-I look forward to joining that club. Congrats!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have 5+ weeks until I run my own. I'm so glad you completed that milestone. What a great accomplishment! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. Now just throw a 10k on top of the 20 miler and your marathon is done Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Nice work! I love me some good 20 milers.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Just Be

Wow, that's impressive! I still haven't finished a 20 mile run since I started running again in Sept of 07. Tried to do one last Tuesday but at mile 16 I needed to call it quits. Tongue Maybe one day I'll accomplish the 20 miler! Did you run it alone? BTW, Keep up the good work! Smile

Giants Fan

It was during a group run, for the first six miles I had someone with me, from then on just me. First ten were so easy...the next five not so bad....the last five were the hardest. Wish I had had someone who was going the same distance/same pace but that never seems to happen. Oh well. I don't mind running alone, my time to think things out.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

20 is definitely a milestone to celebrate, congratulations! I hope you're recovering well. Zoom - that five weeks will fly by in a heartbeat, you'll be posting your twenty miler thread in no time. runner92 - I took a look at your log, and it appears you're running frequently but not running long on a regular basis. The recent long appeared to be a 15 miler, so the 16 miler you ran is a nice progression. If you build up your long run gradually, your base miles will probably support it. I usually run long every other weekend, then switch to every third weekend when the distance is greater than 20 miles. Just my two cents, good luck to you.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Giants Fan

Like the advice of every 3rd weekend when longer than twenty. Right now I am doing every other Sun. for long, will have to keep the every 3rd in mind for IF I decide to try the 22 and 24 distance.

Charles Schulz

Like the advice of every 3rd weekend when longer than twenty. Right now I am doing every other Sun. for long, will have to keep the every 3rd in mind for IF I decide to try the 22 and 24 distance.
                        If? You will. It might be soon, it might be late, but eventually, you will. Smile

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Wow cogratulations Midwest, talk about a coincidence, I know the feeling you are having I also did my first 20 yesterday. I looked at your training log and noticed a very similar training schedule to what I am following. I too am training for my first Marathon and it will be in Sept. We are also fairly close in training pace. Too bad I'm in Toronto and your in the midwest Big grin otherwise we could run together MTA - my long runs wil now progressl to 22, 24, 26, and 28 every other week and I'm sticking to the program!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Giants Fan

Backstretch-- Too bad, would love to have someone who is as crazy as I am to run with! That is the only part that stinks! What is the date of your marathon? I will probably stick to my plan too...it calls for the 26 miler before...well, we'll see. You will have to let me know how your training is going! would be great to have someone in same situation to bounce things off of! Good luck with your training!

Charles Schulz

Another Passion

Congratulations, midwest and backstretch! That is quite a milestone! Keep up the great runnin'!

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

What is the date of your marathon? I will probably stick to my plan too...it calls for the 26 miler before...well, we'll see. You will have to let me know how your training is going! would be great to have someone in same situation to bounce things off of! Good luck with your training!
                                September 28th ......... 74 days and counting Big grin http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm The great thing about it all is, if I do have some unforseen difficulty on that day, three weeks later we have the Toronto Marathon. I get 2 chances for the training price of one! The first one, (Scotiabank) is flat as a pancake and billed as North America's 4th fastest Marathon. Which I now know, means that the 4th fastest Marathon time recorded in North America last year was at this event. An added bonus is anyone fast enough to qualify for Boston, can submit their time for either the 2009 or 2010 Boston Marathon, or Both years. The Marathons are large 7,000 to 10,000 runners in each. anyway, suppose to do hills today but I am going to hhave to deviate from the program and move that workout to Thursday and just run easy 10k today. I am still a little stiff from the 20. Hope you have escaped any ill effects from your 20 miler.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius