Running in Berin (Read 67 times)

I will be going to Berlin to cheer on some friends running the Marathon. Anybody have any suggestions for finding nice/safe places to run? Obviously after the marathon. Will run with someone who ran the marathon so runs will be short and easy.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Hi! I live in Berlin, happy to help! What part of town are you staying in? Grunewald is always good, or the Schlachtensee, both easy to reach on the s-Bahn. Tiergarten is a favorite right in the middle of the city. Tempelhof er Feld is a former airfield that’s now a park and you can run on the runways. It can be windy. If you want to venture east, I like running by the water in treptower park (which also has some bizarre attractions like an abandoned East German amusement park and a giant soviet WWII memorial).

Hope you have a good trip and enjoy the city! I’ll be cheering on Sunday too.

First, you might fix your typo in the thread title.

Very limited experience for me, but Berlin is a great city to run in. I've never done the marathon, but I was there once for a weekend, and found running to be an excellent way to do some sightseeing. You can run along any of the streets around the center of town (like this), ideally early morning before much traffic. To avoid traffic completely, there is a large park near the center of town called the Tiergarten. You can run around the perimeter (like this) or along the paths throughout the park's interior.

Enjoy!

Dave

Hi! I live in Berlin, happy to help! What part of town are you staying in? Grunewald is always good, or the Schlachtensee, both easy to reach on the s-Bahn. Tiergarten is a favorite right in the middle of the city. Tempelhof er Feld is a former airfield that’s now a park and you can run on the runways. It can be windy. If you want to venture east, I like running by the water in treptower park (which also has some bizarre attractions like an abandoned East German amusement park and a giant soviet WWII memorial).

Hope you have a good trip and enjoy the city! I’ll be cheering on Sunday too.

Thanks! I'm staying here: Boutique Hotel i31. I have no idea where it is. We are also doing a parkrun on Saturday morning at Hasenheide parkrun. Should be fun!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Wait there’s a park run at hasenheide?! I did not know that! Off to google.

btw, Hasenheide is basically right across from Tempelhofer Feld (mentioned in my other reply. Just to help with orientation.) Also, it looks like your hotel is in Mitte so the Regierungsviertel and Tiergarten will be pretty close for running.

modifying to add, because my other reply was a bit vague on what these places actually are: Grunewald is a big forest in the city limits with tons of trails. It’s hillier than the rest of Berlin. Schlachtensee is a lake you can run around, it’s about 5km around or you can add the next lake over, which is called krumme lanke, for ~8-9 km. The Regierungsviertel is where the Bundestag (parliament) and other gov’t buildings are. Tiergarten is a big park with tons of paths. From Tiergarten or Regierungsviertel you can easily run west along the river, the Spree. If you have any questions, feel free to dm me. Enjoy Berlin!!