Achilles Tendonitis Options: Tenex Procedure - PRP Injection (Read 136 times)

Blaf

Why I am not icing AT after run anymore, thuck explained above. I just find that there is no inflammation, just pain when touch and it is almost gone next morning. I might change that if it gets worse.

EPAT is shockwave therapy, am I right? I will check if they provide it in my area.

Now I run every second day. It gives tendon or whatever is injured time to recover. I feel like I am making progress but with really baby steps.

About scar tissues, is there anyone who completely got rid of that?

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

This is the shockwave I am receiving.  It is a physical shock, not an electric one.  Is that the wrong kind?

http://www.okanagansynergy.ca/site/shockwave-therapy

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I was running every other day for a long time, and in my case I discovered that running every day makes it better. Not hard runs every day, but even just a short 3 mile jog and I have no soreness there like I would after taking a day off (and thinking it must not be recovered enough!).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Agreed.  This all happened because I took too much time off.  Getting the range of motion/mobility always makes it feel better.  It is when I do a harder run and then rest for several days it is worse.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Blaf

A little update:

I ran on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. All easy, all outside, one hour each run.

No significant pain during the runs. Just occasional itching here and there. Closer to the end of the runs, dull pain in lower calves, on both sides.

In general, I do not have any significant pain. Also, no pain when I get up in the morning.

But, on my left AT, there is a bump, 6cm from the ground. When I press that bump from the back, it hurts a lot. It does not stop me from running, but still worries me. I assume that the bump is scar tissue. But why does it hurt when I press it against the tendon?

Runner since 2012

bhearn

Likely that is a Haglund's Deformity, aka "pump bump". That is my issue too. There is extra calcification at the tendon insertion site. This makes the tendon subject to increased transverse stress at the insertion as it has to pass around the bump. Tendons don't like that; they only like to be stressed lengthwise.

Somewhere I have bookmarks to videos that show this very well, but I can't find them at the moment.

MTA the pain itself is likely due to associated bursitis.

Blaf

Thank you for the info.

Running wise, can I run? Is it making it worse?

Runner since 2012

bhearn

That's a pretty individual thing. But if it's Haglund's you're stuck with it unless you want surgery, so you'll need to find what works.

bhearn

FWIW I hit a few 120-mile weeks last year, and ran four 24-hour races and a 55-hour race, and did pretty well. But I don't do any speedwork or try to perform well at shorter, faster races.

I find that everything actually feels the best when I am running doubles. Inactivity, and especially sitting, are the worst for the Achilles. And increasing mileage is hard. But maintaining at almost any level seems doable for me. Though I have needed EPAT treatments here and there.

Blaf

Thank you. I have checked your link. It does not look like my issue. My pain is a bit higher, spot where the tendon is the tiniest. I guess it can be confirmed with simple x ray?

Another thing, sometime during a run I feel pulsing pain where AT joins the heel that could be lighter version of bursitis.

Is your mile 1km or 1 mile? It confuses me how people user km/mile terms. Either way 120 is a lot.

Runner since 2012

bhearn

Oh. Probably scar tissue then.

Yes, I meant miles.

the lump on my achilles is 43-4" from the ground, where the tendon gets small, and I suspect scar tissue. Mine IS getting smaller, though!

Long, slow distance never hurts it, and actually helped it on one occasion. I had re-injured it about 3 weeks before I was scheduled to run at the Grand Canyon with my brother. I took a week off, jogged a few miles one day and it still hurt so took next 10 days off. I went for a jog at Death Valley a couple days before GC, and it hurt but not a sharp pain. Did the run as scheduled, I went to Cottonwood from South Rim and my brother ended up walking to Phantom ranch and back up with his wife. I wasn't too worried, because I had no pain when walking and the worst case scenario was walking instead of running. My achilles ached but had no sharp pain all the way down, up Bright Angel to Cottonwood, and all the way back down to Phantom Ranch. I stopped for a while and ate a little and looked around Phantom, and when I started running again, no pain at all! And it remained that way for the rest of the summer (also because I didn't do any speedwork).

yomonk1

Very interested in this thread, as I am experiencing the same issues on my L AT (mid tendon). My story is, I'm a 47yo previously overweight guy that just started running this year. I've set a lofty goal to run 1000 miles in 2018. Actually achieved 111 miles the first month. Not bad from couch. Now, I won't win any races, I run about a 10:30 mile now, down from 11:30 at the start in July. I usually run 5-8 miles up to 5 x week. Usually 4x. I just started having this pain for no apparent reason in the last couple of days and thought I'd visit the forum. Well, lo and behold....

So I've started doing the eccentric stretches, I've been seeing a chiropractor/ PT prior to this, but not since. Really want to get out and run. I do feel the olive sized bump on the back of the tendon, not on the unaffected side. So I guess it's showing all the signs. Not hot to touch, not particularly sore to touch, just nagging pain 3-4/10 when walking. Forget stairs for now...

Does this sound like I should follow the same thought process here? I'm also going to check with my doc. Thanks in advance. 

Blaf

Yomonk1, you are definitely not the same case as me. I have lots of scar tissue, but no bump size of an olive. I mean, that is a big bump in my books.

Update about me: I ran 50K last week. No mayor issues other than sharp pain when I press that spot in the middle of the tendon. Pain is worse if I pinch it after run. And that spot has lots of scar tissue. I wonder if I am pressing a nerve there.

During a run, weird tingling around the ankle and the heel, but nothing around the tendon. Also I noticed that later in a run, my lower calves start to hurt. Not terribly painful, but I feel it.

This week I am going to try some speed (tomorrow on the indoor track) and on Saturday I will try some trail running. Those will be 2 good tests of my progress.

Runner since 2012

Blaf, 50k and you're not limping afterwards sounds like success to me. Good luck with the speedwork, and remember to STOP immediately if there is any pain!