Powerbreathe anyone? (Read 1075 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Has anyone got any info regarding the effectiveness of Powerbreathe range regarding whether or not they are benefical to us as runners?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They are not beneficial to us as runners. They really are not beneficial to anybody. Except maybe folks recovering from pneumonia or a collapsed lung.

Slow-smooth-fast

really, thanks. I just thought as there are 3 different types, and it does state this one is for athletic use, then I guesses it would be beneficial/.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Send them a note and ask them for studies performed by external agents showing a clear benefit. Otherwise, caveat emptor. Anybody can sell anything on the web and claim whatever they want.

The Greatest of All Time

What the hell is it? It looks like something you would see a paramedic use.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Your limitation as a runner is not how much oxygen you can inhale, it's how much oxygen your circulatory system can transport to your muscles. A typical runner already inhales around three time the amount of oxygen they actually use. The only thing POWERbreathe is really good for is separating you from your hard earned cash. Tom
                Is that some kind of intimate aid? It looks a little scary!

Dave

Welcome back, Eddy. Great to see you healthy, running, and posting again Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Here's another one. Heat and cold can definitely relieve aching muscles and even reduce inflammation. Unfortunately this product does neither. It only feels hot and cold, distracting the user from the original pain. Apparently the cat got out of the bag on this one because the manufacturer has introduced another product that actually gets hot. It worked a little too well though and caused severe burns on a number of users and the company is facing law suits.
                      Is that some kind of intimate aid? It looks a little scary!
                      Gotta like that thinking Lakerunner. I'm ashamed to say my mind didn't wander down this road, I must be getting old. Cry

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Slow-smooth-fast

Welcome back, Eddy. Great to see you healthy, running, and posting again Big grin
                        cheers mate, good to be back. I actually officially started my MAF again yesterday. I am really looking forward to getting my aerobic pace back to where it used to be.

JakeKnight

What exactly is this thing supposed to do? Do you run with it? Confused

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

What exactly is this thing supposed to do? Do you run with it? Confused
                            No, you to breathe through it for a minute or two each day. It restricts the air coming into your lungs, supposedly making them stronger. You would probably get similar "results" from breathing through a straw for the same amount of time.

Amy

jeffdonahue

Now I am not sure if this is the same thing I saw an ad for in a magazine one day but it looks similar (and cost about $100 so no way was I going to get it). But... my take on this (and I'm not a doctor) is that it might help. I figure this would reduce the amount of oxygen you take in requiring you to run on less oxygen so that when you ran regular your body would be able to perform better. Much the same way the Kenyans work out and do all their long runs at high altitudes. There is less oxygen up there so that when they run at sea level it is easier. I also know there is a company here in Massachusetts that makes a machine you can put in a room that simulates working out at high altitudes. Just seems like it might not be totally useless as posted above.
                                Now I am not sure if this is the same thing I saw an ad for in a magazine one day but it looks similar (and cost about $100 so no way was I going to get it). But... my take on this (and I'm not a doctor) is that it might help. I figure this would reduce the amount of oxygen you take in requiring you to run on less oxygen so that when you ran regular your body would be able to perform better. Much the same way the Kenyans work out and do all their long runs at high altitudes. There is less oxygen up there so that when they run at sea level it is easier. I also know there is a company here in Massachusetts that makes a machine you can put in a room that simulates working out at high altitudes. Just seems like it might not be totally useless as posted above.
                                Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that the product is totally useless. I really don't know for sure. I looked into it about a year ago because I have asthma and thought it might help. Ultimately, I decided not to buy it. Here's a link to the product's website that describes how it works. You breathe through it 30 times twice a day. Rather than strengthening the lung tissue itself, the product is supposed to strengthen the muscle around the lung. Over time, this makes it easier to breathe while exercising. http://www.powerbreathe.com/work.html This is (as I understand it) different from high altitude training which forces the body to make more red blood cells. In turn, more oxygen can get to muscles during exercise. I wasn't really kidding about the straw thing. It's the same concept as the PowerBreathe, but a lot cheaper. If it works, great. If not, you wasted a minute of your day and the cost of a straw. Big grin

Amy