What is Eric up to? (Read 3622 times)

eric :)

Did I tell you that writing is not my forte? Sometimes I can go on for pages, talking about nothing and everything, with thoughts meandering everywhere. Sometimes thoughts never coalesce to form words and I would stare at the screen forever searching for a starting point to nucleate my ideas. On the other hand, I have no problems writing computer code. It’s merely a recipe on how to do something. Everything in the computer world is exact. It either happened, or it didn’t, unless quantum computing becomes main stream. Life, on the other hand, is rarely black or white. There’s a vast expanse of gray in between, paralyzing me with endless decisions. Writing about what I’m writing in code is tricky. I have to leave out the technical bits for the general audience, while providing enough info for the computer savvy. I walk a fine line between informing everyone while being secretive about the upcoming features. I don’t like to broadcast what I’m working on. This way, if I fail to complete something, no one would know about it. Yes, it’s quite devious. Some of you probably noticed that the updates are slow in coming these last couple of months. Before, an update occurred every couple of weeks. Now, they trickled to once a month or two. The reason is I picked off all the low lying fruits. I completed most of the easy to complete features. The remaining ones (and there are many) involve significant time investment. They’re harder to get to, but more rewarding once they’re complete. I’ve been working on the GPS importer for several months now. The project is occasionally interrupted by minor updates and emergency bug fixes. I ran into many obstacles along the way, each a learning experience and a new skill. My friends know that I tend to tackle the problem head on instead of looking for an easier alternative because I think it’s better for the end user: you. Here’s how I envision the GPS importer. After you come back from the run with your GPS, you connect it to the computer. If you’re lazy or trusting, your data will be automatically uploaded to RunningAHEAD.com and you’re done. If you like a little more control, a window will popup after you connected the GPS. You can select the workouts you wish to be uploaded before they are uploaded. You see, you don’t have to do much to upload the data. The hardest part is connecting the GPS. In the computer world, the easier a program to use, the harder it is on the programmer. There are several alternative methods of sending the data to the server that require less work on my part. For example, I can create a page that lets you upload GPX or history files. You’ll have to export the data into one of these files formats first before uploading. It is not automatic, and you’ll have to do more work, but it saves me a lot of headaches. Another alternative is to use another software package recently created by Garmin. You have to download a plugin for your web browser from Garmin, which is no big deal. You’ll still have to go to a specific page on RunningAHEAD.com, click the upload button, and then everything will happen automatically. While this is quite appealing, especially since I don’t have to worry about different operating systems, it has its limitations. According to Garmin, you can only upload 100 waypoints. I have no idea how many way points are in a route, but an arbitrary limit sounds too restrictive. The only user friendly solution is to create my own program. As of this weekend, this program can detect when you connect the GPS to the computer. It can download all the data and display the list of workouts on the screen for you to select the ones you wish to upload. It can even package these workouts, but it can’t send it yet because the program can only “babble” to the server. That is, it can connect to the server and spew forth “stuff”, but the server has no idea what it is talking about. Much of the hard work is done. The next task in the project is to put in the login code so that your data is sent to the proper account. Once that’s done, the GPS data can be uploaded. Then I can start working on processing the data and presenting it (hopefully) in simple to understand pages. The GPS importer will not be released immediately after its completion. Since I have to add pages to display the data, it would make more sense to take the opportunity to upgrade the log as well. I’ve been researching the latest in web technologies and made changes to the unreleased code to use them. Some of these technologies need lots of pampering and I have to rearrange my code to get them to behave properly. These are drastic changes and can’t be released in tiny chunks. You’ll have to wait a little longer but I assure you that it’s going to be worth it. The fruit at the highest spot on the tree always tastes the best, or so I was told. eric Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eric. Is. Awesome. : )
        Eric. Is. Awesome. : )
        I agree. But you left off the word "Totally".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Thank you Eric for this great site!
          JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Sounds very exciting! Thanks, Eric! Can't wait! Smile Jilly
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Since I have to add pages to display the data, it would make more sense to take the opportunity to upgrade the log as well. I’ve been researching the latest in web technologies and made changes to the unreleased code to use them. Some of these technologies need lots of pampering and I have to rearrange my code to get them to behave properly. These are drastic changes and can’t be released in tiny chunks. You’ll have to wait a little longer but I assure you that it’s going to be worth it. The fruit at the highest spot on the tree always tastes the best, or so I was told.
              Even though I won't be using the GPS part, I'm looking forward to the next upgrade... This is an amazing site you've created here, Eric. I love it!

Roads were made for journeys...

Eric - awesome - totally - Big grin thanks for the many hours you have invested in this Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Go Green Wave!

I've been a part of many web running logs and communities and eric yours is the best!!!

Anyone have pizza?

Wow. I don't even have a GPS watch, and I'm even excited! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

Ahhh, I think you're just makin' up crap to make us think you've been workin on it...I think you really are already done with the code and have been layin back takin it easy so we'll THINK you're putting in a lot of time and that this is a really hard change. You big weenie! OK, TOTALLY AWESOME BIG WEENIE! Clowning around Tongue Wink Big grin Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Now that was a bath...

Awww, if you lived closer I'd bake ya something yummy. Can you rewrite the code for my rubbish leg please and also make me faster? Claire xxx
                      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                          Awww, if you lived closer I'd bake ya something yummy. Can you rewrite the code for my rubbish leg please and also make me faster? Claire xxx
                          Sigh, not a baker, but can I have code to make me faster too

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Burninated Peasant

Well, crap, now I'm going to have to save for a Garmin. This stuff sounds like it will be too cool to lay off of. My wallet implores you to take your time on this one, Eric.
                              *BOWS DOWN TO ERIC* TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

ebookmeyer

Great job! I love this site and can't wait for the Garmin compatibility. I don't run without my Forerunner and I can't wait to sync it with this site. A question. I would love to have my lifting on the site. The page that is there is awesome but it is not convenient because you have to fill it in every time you have an event. It would be helpful if you could bring up an old workout or copy one and then do just a few minor adjustments to set, rep, weights, or exercise and then save it under a new date...as opposed to filling out every set, rep...etc. every time there is an event. Would it be possible to solve this problem? ...or is there already a solution?