January swimming (Read 1164 times)

spacityrunner

Long day at work but went to pool and put in 30 less than stellar minutes of trying to swim. I either couldn't keep my butt afloat or would miss on my breathing making for many less than smooth laps. But, 30 min in the pool felt good, no matter how bad I think I did.

Trails Rock!

^5, runningindc! Are you still dealing with PF? It's why I ended up in the pool. Things are going much better this week, swimming-wise. 45-minutes today, drills again.
      spacityrunner

Hi Econo...yes, I am still dealing with the PF and yes that is what drove me to the pool. Crying in the sports doc's office he told me to go find something else to do while my foot healed Big grin I learned how to swim. I will jump in the pool again Thursday. I am hoping for a better session...

Trails Rock!

spacityrunner

1800 yds in 45:00. Nice. Had the lane all to myself today. I like that Big grin

Trails Rock!

go Care Bear go!

I've been keeping busy and not much time to post here lately. Anyhow, got in the pool last night for an awesome swim. I just feel so great when I'm in the water! Got 2100 yds in, a little over 40 minutes. Have had a few good runs this week too.
              runningindc, my foot hurts; wahhhhhh! Expecting big "attagirls" from my swim coach yesterday, instead I got...more drills for new things she's discovering I'm doing wrong. Sad * right arm curves out too far on the stroke * head bobs up way too far to breathe (tipping my whole body down) * hand exits the water wrong, essentially pushing my upper torso down into the water. She told me to just float in the water, face down, which I promptly did, knowing full well what her reaction would be...and it was "Oh my goodness, you are a perfect floater! Why do you swim like a sinker, then?" heh. It's nice to be a Coaching Challenge. I guess.
              spacityrunner

Hey Econo, sorry to hear that. Mine hurts too....I am so over this PF and wish it would just disappear Smile Your swim coach has a plan for you, I am sure Big grin Nice to get some feedback. I often suffer from sinking butt and goofy breathing. I find my butt sinks less if I remember to hold the core tight (aka sucking it in). I did 30 easy min for 1000 yds after my 6 mile walk...cold plunge pool was down for maintenance (cause I complained about the mold) and wasn't able to soak the legs today....oh well. Hope to try running again this week, and keeping it slow, slow, slow. No more 12 m/m. Question for swimmers/runners: I seem to be growing blisters on my newly squishy feet. Used to have skin like leather on the bottoms, but with all this time spent in the water, they are all wrinkly and soft. I have never had to deal with blisters. Any suggestions on how to prevent them? or how to harden my feet up again after swimming?

Trails Rock!

2000 meters today, none yesterday because the high school had their large yearly meet. Tried to concentrate on keeping my chest/torso lower in the water, kinda downhill if that's correct. Still find it easier to breathe on my right only. Golf score around 105 each time I checked.
                  spacityrunner

1400 yds today that felt like I knew what I was doing. That does not happen very often. I will take it whenever I can.

Trails Rock!

Hi, Can anyone join in here? I swim once a week usually(along with running, cycling and gym). I did 1000 meters in 26:35 minutes this morning. A bit slower than usual, but there were more people in the pool than usual and the lanes were narrower too, so it was harder to overtake!! Cheers, Nick
                      spacityrunner

Hi Nick...sure anyone can join here. Welcome.

Trails Rock!

Hi all, I've just started swimming again last week (it's been about 4 years). I'm a self taught and quite lousy swimmer. I joined the Triathlon club at the local Y. Today's workout was about 2000 meters. Quite a challenge for me, but I'm glad I was able to do about 1600 meters. We meet for two swims a week. Can't wait to be able to do the full workout! Cheers, - R

shonan marathon, girl

Nothing beats a winter swim in a heated pool. I am back to my regular training and working to improve my base exercise level. Just like running, to get better at swimming you need more frequency and distance. I still can't swim the speed that I could prior to breaking my toe, so now I am just concentrating on distance and then later work on increasing my speed. I would rather swim a shorter distance in good form than do a long distance with sloppy form. But being able to float well and totally relax in the water is the key to become an excellent swimmer. I am starting yoga to help me with breathing and relaxing. I am happy to see that there are other runners on this site that swim too. I think the combination of swimming and running together as exercise gives you the perfect lower and upper body workout. After all that pounding of my feet on the road while running, I think that the soles of my feet need to take a good break by swimming.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

spacityrunner

30 minutes, 1100 yds, slow and steady. RA helped me to go for a swim today...how? Well, It was snowing here and I wanted to go straight home after work and hibernate. I have been working hard to get out there at least 6 days and do a run or a swim and I said to myself.....you can go home, you don't have to go for a swim. Then I ate the Raisin Bran muffin from Au Bon Pain. They have a 1/2 price sale between 3-4 on their baked goods and I can't resist such a deal. Roll eyes then I went to the website for the nutrition info...410 cal!!! Shocked An afternoon snack and I ate 410 cal!!! Cry And I said...If I want to keep up with the RA weight loss goal, I have to work that muffin off. And that is not going to happen if I go home! So off to the club I went. Now, I don't know how many calories I burned in 30 minutes of slow as a turtle freestyle, but I know it was more than I would of if I went home. And now I will not get that "deal" again. I will start packing my afternoon snack.

Trails Rock!

go Care Bear go!

Nick, Welcome!! Liz... good job and turning things around after the muffin. You should be very proud of yourself! I've been so busy with work and other stuff, I haven't had much of a chance to keep up here. But I've been managing to keep up with my workouts somehow. Yesterday morning I was a member of the "more miles than degrees club" with a 5+ mile run in 2*F. Brrrrr..... chilly! But I had the right amount of layers on and it wasn't that bad. I even saw 2 other nutjob runners like myself out there! This morning, I headed to the pool for 2300 yds. I normally swim at night this time of year, but it was such a great workout, I may have to do morning swims more often. I just LOVE how I feel after a swim. I'm on my swimmer's high right now! Wink I got one of those lap trackers from Sportcount.com and have used it for a couple of swims now... very cool gadget and not distracting in the least. I'm ticking every 50 yds as I flip. If you have trouble keeping track on long sets, I recommend it! Have a great weekend everyone!