Tebow... (Read 1233 times)

Menace to Sobriety

It's like selling arms to both sides in a war. The media over hypes either the religious aspect or his lack of technical skills ad nauseum, then do the same when he performs either poorly or well.  People either watch hoping he fails, or watch hoping he does well. Either way, people are watching.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

He's not your run of the mill NFL player.  Perhaps with a few off season drug busts, assault charges, DUIs and nightclub shootings he'll gain the love and respect of the media ?

you should compare the rate of arrests for NFL players against the national average.  You might be surprised by what you find out. 

He's not your run of the mill NFL player.  Perhaps with a few off season drug busts, assault charges, DUIs and nightclub shootings he'll gain the love and respect of the media ?

I don't think you described a run-of-the-mill NFL player, even excluding the privileged ones who never had occasion to see a gun in their lives.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

Are you suggesting that the media loves criminal-athletes? And that they don't love or respect Tebow? (Look at the picture posted on page 1.) Seems quite the opposite to me, but what do I know.

Remember Pac Man? The interest there is how can someone be so talented and so out of control? That's an interesting question, maybe worthy of some media attention. The attention that he got was almost totally negative. No love and no respect. People hated that dude.

Tebow, despite the interest that he generates, is actually less interesting in this respect: can one of the greatest college players in the history of football be successful in the NFL? At first blush, this doesn't seem like an interesting question. But what makes it interesting is that a lot of experts thought his skills might not NOT be transferable to the NFL due to differences in the NFL game. Are they transferable? Seems like they are, to a large degree. People disagree on exactly how good he will be, and there should be disagreement as we've only seen him for a little more than half a season--a time during which he played great at times and really badly at times.

Even the "haters" respect Tebow. They just think that he's more like an ordinary player that people overrate because of factors unrelated to football. And maybe some of them find his in-your-face Christianity off-putting (his book about himself starts not with football or work ethic, but with a discussion of abortion.)

dodger20

it surprises you the reaction was negative? that to me is shocking! and he's still playing with minimal media attention in cincinati and just for the record he stinks!

does it misstate why someone wears eyeblack stickers with John 3:16 on them? 

My father, mother and wife each has cancer.  My in-laws, siblings and I wear yellow wristbands.  Please explain how we are attention whores.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Why is it sideways?

it surprises you the reaction was negative? that to me is shocking! and he's still playing with minimal media attention in cincinati and just for the record he stinks!

No, it doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is the thought, expressed on the last page, that if Tebow were a criminal or a thug that the media would love him. That's what my post was about: Pac man was an example used to demonstrate the point that being a thug does not earn you love by the media. Hope that explains my explanation.

dodger20

i don't want to speak on the meaning of someone else's post but i think  the question was " would tebow get the same scrutiny?" when i see the multitude of transgressions that are accepted in my mind the scrutiny on tebow is a bit unfair.........if he cannot play so be it!  but attack him because  his views annoy you? poor matt barkley should prepare himself now!

Pittsburgh was an 8 point favorite on the road.

Bizarre, half the Steelers team was injured. Who came up with that line ?

If Vegas it looks like I missed an opportunity to make some money Sad.

Why is it sideways?

i don't want to speak on the meaning of someone else's post but i think  the question was " would tebow get the same scrutiny?" when i see the multitude of transgressions that are accepted in my mind the scrutiny on tebow is a bit unfair.........if he cannot play so be it!  but attack him because  his views annoy you? poor matt barkley should prepare himself now!

Is this one of those arguments where the last dude to post wins? Can I be that guy?

dodger20

sorry i responded

My father, mother and wife each has cancer.  My in-laws, siblings and I wear yellow wristbands.  Please explain how we are attention whores.

amazing I know... but an internet thread about Tim Teebow has shown the ability to have people thinking they are having debates about things that the other peson has no idea they are discussing. 

I don't care if Teebow takes a knee to celebrate a moment any more than I care if a player dances.  That was my point. 

I hope your family members have a good outcome. 

Why is it sideways?

sorry i responded

Newsflash: evangelical Christianity is controversial.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Are you suggesting that the media loves criminal-athletes? And that they don't love or respect Tebow? (Look at the picture posted on page 1.) Seems quite the opposite to me, but what do I know. 

What do you know?  Maybe how to read too much (or perhaps too little) into a mildly humorous comment on the type of antics that get the adoration of the press because they sell copy.   Of course, we can ignore the off season track record of the opposing QB because he has one or two SuperBowl rings and everyone hates that.

Reaction to the Bronco's and the attention on Tebow's play reminds me how the Chicago press reported on Rex Grossman during his time with the Bears, just on a different scale.   One week the kid would be amazing the next he'd be awful.  The defense and special teams carried them through on many occasions.  Interestingly, like Tebow, Grossman played for the Florida Gators.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

A Saucy Wench

To be clear.  I dont give a crap about his kneeling thing.  Doesnt bother me in the slightest. 

However, he is NOT the second coming of anything no matter how much hype he gets.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7