Tebow... (Read 1233 times)

Why is it sideways?

Maybe I read too much into it, or maybe I just disagree with your statement that if Tebow were a criminal he would get more love (hard to imagine.) 

I don't see Tebow as calling attention to himself.  He's an evangelical Christian for sure, that's part of who he is and he does not try to hide it.  He knows the cameras will be trained on him and so he takes advantage to tell people about the important role his religion plays in his life, but I don't think anything he is doing is designed to put the attention on him.  I am not a (publicly) religious person but still I find him quite sincere and I don't see anything in-your-face or preachy about the way he conducts himself on or off the field.  Some people clearly disagree.

He's an interesting story and the fact that he is very religious is only part of it.  He's not a prototypical NFL quarterback, but he's also not really like most of the previous running quarterbacks either.  He's like a fullback playing quarterback, big, fast and strong with no fear.  Add the fact that he's had a bunch of crazy comeback and walk-off wins like yesterday and of course you've got a media sensation on your hands.

I don't think he's a great quarterback but he's an excellent athlete, a hell of a competitor and fun to watch.  I don't think he will find long term success in the NFL at quarterback but then I didn't think he would even be as successful as he has been so who knows.

I find the polarizing effect he has on discussions like this a little unnerving for some reason.  This is related to but not the same as the concern I have that despite the fact that I am a pretty big sports fan and I love the NFL, I do think that we place way too much importance on it (myself included.)

I didn't see the overtime period of the Denver/Pittsburgh game but I did catch the replay and I was like, "Wow, that was pretty cool."

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Okay, I should stop posting on this thread, but the reason these sorts of discussions erupt and get controversial (besides jerks like me) is because the NFL provides one of the few common experiences that ties us together as a nation. So, we have to use what happens during the season to figure out what America means, who lives here, what values do they have, and what they are up to. We misread each other (or I misread others) because we don't know each other and start projecting our images of who we think lives out there in the American wasteland onto folks.

This sort of projection probably can't be helped, but it sucks to get projected on (sorry runasics), and it's frustrating when we can't free ourselves from the projections that others place on us.

The only other thing that everyone pays attention to is politics. Yeah, yikes.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the NFL provides one of the few common experiences that ties us together as a nation

Well, unless you don't care about pro football...

Why is it sideways?

Where did I claim that everyone cares about football? I think my argument still holds, even if not everyone cares. What matters is that a more-or-less representative sample of all the different groups of folks in the country cares. So, I don't agree with your "Unless."

Smile

"run" "2" "eat"

vince young was MVP once.

which i said to go with what mikey said, "He's like a fullback playing quarterback, big, fast and strong with no fear.  Add the fact that he's had a bunch of crazy comeback and walk-off wins like yesterday and of course you've got a media sensation on your hands."

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

A Saucy Wench

In other news...

Oh wait.  There is no other news.  My bad.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

You don't care about football?  How un-American!

Not at it at all. 

L Train

How could you hate him if you saw that post-game interview?  He gave all the credit to everyone else (convincingly), even the coaching staff (gasp!) and admitted to feeling a little sheepish about the whole thing.  I guess it's refreshing in a way. 

Yes, he's terrible in a conventional quarterback sort of way.  I think Vick is, too.  Seems like Cam Newton may end up being a more perfect blend of this old and new QB. If it ends up that he's not good enough I'm sure it will work itself out.  And if he is good enough, good for him.

I will be at the game Saturday and will report what I see. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How does football tie me together with other Americans? 

...well, except by the fact that I am posting in this thread...

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Maybe I read too much into it, or maybe I just disagree with your statement that if Tebow were a criminal he would get more love (hard to imagine.) 

I made a statement?  Thought it was a flippant remark?   Anyway, I know what you are saying but I sure as shit wasn't being serious.  I just think it's sad that some people get all riled up over a seemingly decent guy like Tebow when there are (or were) guys like Sam Hurd and alike in the league.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Why is it sideways?

I made a statement?  Thought it was a flippant remark?   Anyway, I know what you are saying but I sure as shit wasn't being serious.  I just think it's sad that some people get all riled up over a seemingly decent guy like Tebow when there are (or were) guys like Sam Hurd and alike in the league.

Your flippant remark got amplified by agreement from another poster, which caused me to take it more seriously than I should have. Sorry. I don't see too many people saying that Tebow is a bad guy, but maybe I'm not looking for "haters." Most Tebow detractors just thought he wouldn't make it in the league.

Feeling the growl again

How does football tie me together with other Americans? 

...well, except by the fact that I am posting in this thread...

It provides a spectacle, which seems to be a universal human draw (not limited to Americans). 

See also:  car accident scenes, media, the Kardashians, and internet message boards.

I've always been intrigued by how much time and energy people will invest in a game they may never have played themselves and the outcome of which has no real impact on anything important.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So perhaps somebody can explain in simple terms for a nonfootball guy like me: who is Tebow, what makes him so worthy of this much discourse, and why should I care?

vegefrog

Well I'm a hardcore Colts fan, so I love that the Broncos are doing well and wrecking havoc in the playoffs! Since we aren't there this year I don't want any of the usual AFC players to do well, haha. I do think the Pats will make short work of them, but I would love to see Tom Brady's face after that game if the Broncos manage to somehow win.

I could care less about Tim Tebow but I think it's hilarious listening to him when he's miked. His entire team must want to punch him in the face, as he runs along the sidelines singing hymns and praising the lord every 5 seconds.