Help me set a goal for my 1st 5k.. (Read 461 times)

I run for Fried Chicken!

I'm running my 1st 5k at the end of the month on 5/31. I've been running pretty consistently for about 6 months now, really just been building a base. I do the occasional fartlek just to relieve the boredom but it's been really just easy miles. I did a 9+ mile run last weekend on an out and back course and I was aiming for a negative split and ran a 9:02 pace on the way back. The run felt great too and I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard. It wasn't an easy run but by no means a hard run either. I'm not quite sure what I'll be able to run for the 5k. I would be pretty happy going under 25mins for a 5k which is a 8m pace but I'm not really sure if that's realistic. Maybe an 8:30 pace is more realistic? What should I aim for? Any thoughts? Wagers? Guesses?

Ostrich runner

I'd say go out at 8:30 for the first mile, pick it up by 30-45 secs per mile after that. I'm basing that on not much, but f it, why not? That's the fun thing about short races, you can make your heart leap through your throat at the end if you feel like it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Sub-25, easy. Go out pretty fast, but not killer fast. Give the last mile all you've got. And don't slow down in the middle! Actually, more importantly, since this is your first, why suffer? For the first two miles, just aim for "doable speed" -- like 8:30's. Then in the 3rd mile show 'em what you got. In other words, what beef said! But I still bet you'll break 25. You'll go out pretty fast, but not killer fast and you'll check your watch and it will say something like 7:59! If so, follow directions in paragraph 1.

Runner

It looks like from your log that you're faster off of the treadmill... my suggestion is to run more on the roads and run some miles at 8:00 and try to work on negative splitting and ending with runs at your goal pace(seems like you're goal is 8:00 and not 8:30 but realize that's a big difference between the two so maybe 8:15 should be a reasoable goal. Also this being your first 5k realize there are way too many opinions on how to run the race.... you'll find what works best for you so just enjoy it...

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I run for Fried Chicken!

Yeah, I'm definitely a lot faster on the road. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it gets so hot in the gym. I think the advice of going out at an 8:30 pace for the first 2 miles is good and then kicking it up for the last mile depending on how I feel. If I break 25, I'll be really happy.