Getting back into running (Read 1245 times)

grandville455

Hi everyone.. Just wanted to introduce myself....I am 39 yrs old and in pretty good shape physically and now want to get back into shape cardiovascular wise... anyway I ran my first mile race after only two times of going out and seeing if i could even run it .. since i hadn't ran since high school,lol... I had a goal of 8 minutes... and i actually made it at 8.07! was Very proud of myself... anyway I am working my way up to two miles now as thats the next race... I dont really care about speed just want to finish it Smile.... I went to runnersworld.. and plotted out a training course for the next month and I start that Monday... Really looking forward to this!
      my 2 cents to a fellow 39 year old... don't be afraid to run slow. Last year was not succesful for me in my first year back. I tried running too much like I did when I was 16. I'm saving all my speed work for another month or two until I get up to a solid 25 miles per week. Even then most of my runs will be slow. but you are likely in much better shape than me (I'm still working off a few extra pounds). But still those joints and shins aren't what they used to be. I could probably go out and run under 7:00 mile now without much trouble but if I did a lot of speed work I have a feeling I'd start to develop some bad shin splints. So... I mostly "run" at a 10:00 pace. Anyway welcome aboard and good luck in your fitness endeavor.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

made it at 8.07! was Very proud of myself... Doug B... don't be afraid to run slow Injure waiting to happen. Slow down. Keep running and Welcome . runnerclay

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JakeKnight

As the others said ... slow down. Walk if necessary. Walk a minute and run a minute if you want to. And run (or run/walk) more. You're better off doing a very slow 3 mile run/walk then just sprinting a mile. That won't do much for you, except lead to injury. Be patient. Be consistent. Run often. Have fun.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

grandville455

Thanks for the advice everyone!... I went out last night for my first 2 mile run.. and taking it easy i did it in 20 :min and 46 sec.. I cant really see going any slower unless i start going farther distances, or I get hurt doing it lol,but for now it was a good workout and not really sore at all... calves were a little tight last night ,but that was it... nothing today.....Going back out tomorrow night again....
            redleaf

welcome back! and good luck!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

grandville455

We'll Only ran a litle over a mile tonight as i was a little more sore than i was monday.mostly sore in the quads ..So Now I take the weekend off.. and hit it again monday!....
                  I'm right there with you. I'm 38 and just started running again after an eight year break. I've been run/walking 2 miles twice a week for the past three weeks, and Thursday I plan on finally running the entire 2 miles. I can't believe it will have taken me four weeks to do it, but it feel really good to get back out there.

Put away the stopwatch and build your base - slowly. I started two years ago (was 38 then and coming off a 20 year layoff) and tried to run the times I thought I should. It was a bad idea. I quickly learned that I can't race everything all the time anymore. I was lucky to only get very fatigued and not injured. Built my base last year and am doing the same thing this year (after a brief layoff) and have yet to be injured. Race times come down the stronger you get. Build a quality base first. It is the foundation for all speed and racing. Good luck.
                    grandville455

Thats exactly what my boss told me who is a runner!!..put that watch away!!.So I did....So your saying not to run the entire 2 miles yet? I Went tonight and ran 1.67 miles not 2... But Your saying to run /walk?
                        Your body will adapt, but it won't be overnight. Maybe it's 1.67 tonight and 2 tomorrow. Listen to your body and enjoy the build up. The experts rarely agree on the best way to race fast or to train, but all I have read or spoken with preach the benefits of a solid base. In the build process, when I was trying to go to the next distance, say moving up from 4 to 5 miles I might go 4 and walk a quarter depending on how I felt and finish out in any combination of walking and running needed to get to 5. The key is to listen to your body and not over do it. If I needed to stop on a given day I stopped. It's a personal belief, but I think you should enjoy the ride, not just look forward to the destination. If it feels like work, it will probably become a chore at some point. When it becomes a chore to drag yourself out of bed to go for a run, it will cease to be fun. With a good, well built base under you, maybe you can run a 6:07 mile or faster in a year. When you get there (having built a solid base), race away. Enjoy and good luck.
                        grandville455

Ok Guys Back.. Been running and enjoying it.. getting ready for my 2 mile coming up next week... anyway i got a new question for you .. My gf went running with me a few times,but she can only run so long then her legs become tingly to the point of intensely itching and it works the way up her body to the point she has to stop .. any ideas for her? Also her knees get sore ...is she just not strong enough in the joint area or is it something else?

Just Be

Ok Guys Back.. Been running and enjoying it.. getting ready for my 2 mile coming up next week... anyway i got a new question for you .. My gf went running with me a few times,but she can only run so long then her legs become tingly to the point of intensely itching and it works the way up her body to the point she has to stop .. any ideas for her? Also her knees get sore ...is she just not strong enough in the joint area or is it something else?
                            Sounds like a circulation problem. Is she carrying a lot of extra weight?
                            grandville455

No... We'll top heavy Evil grin Big grin.....We did some looking and it sounds like it can be common in some people when first running.. something about capilaries expanding at first causing a tingly sensatation, But It sounds like it goes away!

Just Be

It doesn't sound normal to me. I'm interested in looking at the sites where you got your information if they're available. Smile How tired is she when she has to stop? Is she so out of breath that if it weren't for the tingling she'd have to stop very soon anyway?