Half Marathon Training - Alternative to Running ?s Newbie help (Read 63 times)

the08er

I am just getting into running. Most of my running is for fun, but I realized having a race goal was helpful motivation. I have done a 10k and have decided to do a half marathon in April. Yes, I plan early. I currently run 10-15 miles a week and have started a general training program. I plan to start a race specific plan closer to the race. My problem is that the week and a half before the race I will not be able to run at all due to traveling (including no access to a treadmill or gym). I will have space for cross training in a small spare bedroom of the folks I will be staying with. I am still new to this, so please forgive me if these are dumb questions. And let me know if there are any specifics that will help with answering.

How should I modify my training before I go while I can still run?
    Given that I cannot do the last week and a half of training, should I start training that much earlier?
    What cross training exercises would be best to do when I cannot run? How long should those sets be?

<iframe width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

would be the best to do when I cannot run?

Can you explain why your situation during this time prevents you from running? I can’t really imagine a scenario, but maybe I am not being creative enough.

If for whatever reason there is no possibility of running, I don’t think it’s a good idea before your first half marathon. If you had to do it, I’d just do the training plan as intended, and the 1.5 weeks of no running would be in place of the taper. You could still do the race but it would likely not be a very good experience. I think it’s a much better idea to pick a different race where you would not have this limitation.

Dave

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Dave makes good points. If you are travelling, you are not going to be rested and ready to race. Have you got your mind set on this half for  specific reason?

My thought right now is to build your base mileage. Even getting up to 18-20 miles per week is going to give you a better starting point going into your training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

the08er

I will be in Delhi, India. The air quality is kill-you-terrible and even if it were not, running outside is not a situation I would feel comfortable doing as a single white female. I will be visiting my sister and her family and doing things on their very busy schedule, so I will not be out on my own with my own transportation to do what I want whenever I want. They do not have a treadmill, but I know I could do burpees, squats, etc in my room or the living room. The race will be two days after I leave. I don't have a time goal, just a finish goal, but I do want to do the best I can.

Seattle prattle

Either run the half as a training run (with no expectations) or find another half to do at a better time.

You know, there's this thing called momentum. It behooves you to set the stage for positive outcomes. In a good situation, you have a positive mindset preparing for the events, which go as planned, and feed yet more training in a positive mindset for the next reinforcing outcome of an event.

You already question your preparedness for what will be your first half marathon. In and of itself, that's less than ideal, even if you could pull off a good race.

And for what? Aren't there any other halfs to set your sights on?

Pass on it and set the stage for something good to happen.

paul2432

Obviously not great to miss the last couple weeks but it is what it is.  I would keep the training plan the same.  I would avoid anything new while you are away, so whatever exercise you do start incorporating it at least a few e weeks before you go.  Maybe get some elastic bands and bring them.  The take very little space.  I don’t think the specific exercise matters that much.  Google 100 up running exercise ( it’s one I like).

As an aside, planning a race in April now isn’t at all unusual.  Many of us have races planned well beyond April.

The last two weeks are time to taper off anyway, so I would still do it. Build up your miles and get a long run going of at least 10 miles by the time you're,  say, 18 weeks out, then start your plan. During the last week and a half do jump squats, run in place, lunges, etc. And don't make yourself sore in the last few days.

You'll be ok!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Either run the half as a training run (with no expectations) or find another half to do at a better time.

You know, there's this thing called momentum. It behooves you to set the stage for positive outcomes. In a good situation, you have a positive mindset preparing for the events, which go as planned, and feed yet more training in a positive mindset for the next reinforcing outcome of an event.

You already question your preparedness for what will be your first half marathon. In and of itself, that's less than ideal, even if you could pull off a good race.

And for what? Aren't there any other halfs to set your sights on?

Pass on it and set the stage for something good to happen.

I like this post, spending 3/4 months training for a first Half and knowing that you can’t run for the final 10 days just isn’t going to give a good mindset during winter training. I would look for a goal Half in late March and then relax and enjoy the vacation.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Christirei

Mikkey, great idea, much better to  find a race before you leave, then you can just chill and hang out with your family in India without anything hanging over your head. A friend of mine just returned from India and he was able to use a treadmill while he was away, but the jet lag on his return was so bad that the race he was running with friends (he had no expectations, it was a group thing) was terrible, he felt awful. His race was just one day after his return, so maybe with two days you would have enough time to rest, but .... seriously, find a different race

Gizmo2019

Hi there the08er!

i had a similar situation but without international travel and a much shorter race (10k). I couldn’t do my taper runs the week before race day but was able to squeeze in 2 maintenance runs within that week. I ate a lot of junk on that vaca but also walked miles daily (think Disneyland and universal studios!).

i went over the mileage on what my training said for long miles (bc I was just adjusting the program to suit what I knew my body could do).

so if you think you could GRADUALLY step it up a notch during training I think you could definitely finish the half but with a slower time.

that said, you are coming back from India. You may get sick regardless of being careful. I’ve been there many times. I’m indian but really American. And I’ve been very careful all the times Ive gone. I always get sick. My husband went recently for business. So they see him as a white guy with a weak stomach and provide him things that won’t get him sick. Lots of poor air quality, Flight was delayed, got super sick by the time he got home, plus jet lagged. He considers himself with wolverine blood but it still took him about a week to catch up. Granted he’s in his 40s but in general very healthy.

if that were me, I couldn’t race 2 days upon arrival.

had I known we were going on vacation (even just a local trip) right before my little 10k I probably wouldn’t have raced esply being a new runner.

just some things to think about. Have fun in India regardless! Love it there!

Ps I never did the cross training. It’s probably good for you but I’d rather run..

pps I’m still a new runner so I don’t know too much! Good luck!

anna89

A very interesting topic that I have been looking at, I think this is one of the most important pieces of information for me. And I'm glad to read your article. Thanks for sharing! shell shockers