When Is Nutrition While on the Run Needed? (Read 120 times)

I got my long run up to 12 miles for the first time yesterday and I ran it in 1:34.  I did not feel a bonk coming on even at the end.  I went after a breakfast of a banana, avocado on toast, an orange, coffee, and water.  I also had a large supper the night before.  I had no food or water on the run but I drank immediately before and after the run.  It was a relatively cool morning, around 60 degrees.

I know with cycling that I didn't use supplemental fueling unless the ride was coming up on three hours in length.  Cycling is less intense so it's not a direct comparison.  Of course, I carried water bottles on my bike so had easy access to hydration.

I'm thinking I might be okay with no on-the-run fueling for distances up to the half marathon but I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other runners who have gone these longer distances consistently.

Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

mikeymike

I never raced longer than a marathon and my long runs were almost never longer than 20 miles and so, for me, I never *needed* nutrition on a training run as long as I wasn't starting in an already depleted state. I always figured my fuel window was about 20 miles, give or take depending on intensity.

The only time I took fuel on a training run were when I was practicing fueling for an upcoming marathon and wanted to make sure whatever I was planning was going to go down and stay down, or when doing a long, intense workout like 30k or longer with some significant chunks at pace.

And I never needed more than a single Gu on a training run, whereas in a marathon race the routine that worked was 1 Gu 15 minutes before the start, then 1 every 7 miles or so (so 1 right before and 4 on course). Which is all to say that it requires a totally different strategy to run a race that's 6 miles longer than your fuel window than it does to do a training run that might just barely be at the limit of your window.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

I don't run a ton of longer distances recently, but I will easily do up to 16 with no fuel.

When I was in marathon training, like Mikeymike said I would take one when I hit 20 miles or if I was specifically working on practicing fueling for the race.

kilkee

runktrun

Similar to all of your experiences, I don't feel like I need anything for up to 2 hrs, barring anything super hot and hilly.

That said, there's a big difference between what you can manage and optimal performance.  I can run 13.1 in training no problem with no fuel or water, but during a race, I'll try to at least grab a cup of gatorade for the hydration AND a few calories.  Similar attitude in a marathon.  Just because you feel mostly fine up to 16 miles does not mean that is ideal for your performance.  My coach, Matt Fitzgerald, advocated something crazy like 100 calories every 30mins (I forget the exact details, but he had some research backing this, also said most elite marathoners consume that much).  This was optimal caloric intake for sustained moderate-hard effort, but he also acknowledged that there's a tradeoff with what your gut can handle.

So for all out marathons, something like Mikeymike's approach is backed by science, perhaps even consuming more.  For training, you're probably "good enough" through about the 2hr mark.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My experience matches Mikey's, Jeff's, and kilkee's above (including the difference between not needing anything in training, but performing better in a race with fueling).

For longer than marathon, I consume a lot more, but that is because I'm optimizing enjoyment over time; I will stop & eat & thank the volunteers at aid stations.

And I think the desirable number of calories per hour is much higher for longer distances, because you can't afford a long-term calorie deficit in a long ultra, the way you can in a marathon or shorter.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This is one of those questions where there just isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all answer. There are too many variables to factor in. Every runner is different and every run is different. The fueling strategy that works to perfection one day can horribly fail on another day. I've gotten it right, and I've gotten it spectacularly wrong. You could do all those same things next week, run the same course in the same time, but have it feel completely different for any number of reasons. For racing, and marathons in particular, I think Mikey nailed it. For training runs from 10ish miles up to 20 or so, I'll usually throw an emergency GU in my pocket just in case. 9 times out of 10 I end up not using it, but it's saved my ass more than once. YMMV.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

rlopez

I went through lots of training cycles where I didn't eat on runs up to about 18 miles. And then some where I did eat. Oddly enough (not really), the runs where I ate were a lot more fun. And my race performance held pretty steady.

When it came to ultras, eating during training was vital, but that is a different thing.

Looking back, it really did boil down to "if I was hungry, I'd eat. If I wasn't. I wouldn't." And it all worked out fine. The mental aspect is important, and there's some physiology at play there too. ESPECIALLY in ultras. "You better eat something" fixed my race about one million times.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably go without until I notice an issue.  Racing is a different story so if a half marathon opens up I may practice fueling during training runs of that distance.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Marky_Mark_17

If you've had breakfast beforehand, you shouldn't need additional fuel for a run of that distance / duration.

I run my long runs on an empty stomach, and generally take 1 gel for a run over 90 minutes, and two if I get up to 150 minutes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I never eat breakfast  before a run and will not eat during a run even over 2 hours

Seattle prattle

90 minutes.

SMART Approach

Love advice above and totally agree. If you want to gain weight fuel before, during and after your runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I got my long run up to 12 miles for the first time yesterday and I ran it in 1:34.  I did not feel a bonk coming on even at the end.  I went after a breakfast of a banana, avocado on toast, an orange, coffee, and water.  I also had a large supper the night before.  I had no food or water on the run but I drank immediately before and after the run.  It was a relatively cool morning, around 60 degrees.

If that is your normal nutrition before a long run then you’ve got nothing to worry about. That’s how I tend to prepare for quality LRs as I hate carrying gels/water bottle. And bonking is HIGHLY unusual during a training run and not to be confused with feeling a bit knackered. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

strambo

I've been able to go 3 and a half hours in a fasted state at a slow  ~11min/mi trail pace but that felt like my limit.  So, after pushing it that far, I'd take a little nutrition on long runs around the 16-18mi+ mark, but again I was going slow training for an ultra.

I don't think hardly anyone would need it for a run of 2hrs or less, should have plenty of glycogen in your liver and muscles.  It doesn't hurt to keep pushing the limits to find out at what pace and distance you would bonk at, it is training after all.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you think you may actually bonk, you might want to either have a phone or a route where help is available (i.e., people), or preferably both.

Might not be great to be laying on the ground dehydrated and vomiting in sunlight and heat and without help.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.