Quality - one to ten (Read 1014 times)

I realize this is probably a stupid question but I'm not sure how to measure the "quality" of the run. Can someone explain? As the effort goes up so does the quality? Is tempo runs higher quality than hills? Please explain.
    mdmccat
      uhh...1 sucked...10, a PR.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Len

Damn Yankee

Weighing 265 lbs.= 1 Father of Two = 10

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

#artbydmcbride

You mean those ratings in the training log? I am baffled by those also. Big grin

Runners run

Weighing 265 lbs.= 1
            LOL ouch... (heh, I'm working on it!)
            mdmccat
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Using a Mac = 10 rock climbing = 1 (skeered of heights) Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I use quality as a measure of how well I stuck to the intent of the run. Effort is an absolute measure of how hard I went. Easy runs are usually a 2-4 on the effort scale. Hard runs towards 8-9. Races are usually 10. For quality: Easy Run - Run it Easy under my HR ceiling = 10 Easy Run - Ignore the HRM and do speedwoork = 1 Hard Run - Really rock the hard effort intervals = 10 Hard Run - Stop halfway for beers = 1 Maybe I should rethink the last one.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I think it is meant to be subjective and open to interpretation. I rate it based on how I felt on a given run... if I had no energy and couldn't wait for it to be over I'll rate it low. If I felt great at the end I'll rate it higher.

-------------------------------------
                  5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                  10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                  1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                  Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I base it on a subjective how I feel scale. If I feel ucky, but still got the workout in, that's high quality. Others base quality on perceived effort. 12 miles steady followed by 4-6 at tempo is a high quality workout for example.

SMART Approach

MD Typically most of your runs are easy conversational pace. When you add "quality" or a "work out" it means race pace work, tempo work, interval work, Farleks, fast finish long run. This is what quality means in running terms. Generally, most runners will do two quality work outs per week. I do one in mid week (slow tempo longer, faster tempo shorter, CV reps, race pace stuff etc.) and I add some faster running to my long run for my second quality session to make it a work out.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

NateFromRI nailed it. It's totally subjective & up to you how to rate your own runs. The majority of my runs are Easy runs so, I usually rate the effort between 5-7. Quality depends how I felt during the run. No aches & pains or a longish run without bonking gets a higher rating.
                        kcam

DGB2N nailed it. That's exactly how I use the Quality scale.

Just Be

You all are wrong. I nailed it, because I said nothing. Tongue Big grin Kidding aside, I agree with dgb2n. Smile