Forerunner 301-----RIP----- (Read 416 times)

I rode my bike to work this morning from a friends house about 8 miles from where we both work. After work I had to do a little personal computer time to get my son registered to officiate High School hockey this year. I rode back by myself and decided to go a little further then the normal commute and but on 9.36 miles. I wear my HR monitor and use my Garmin 301 for all my runs and also on my bike.

When I got to my coworkers house to get my bike into my car and drive home, he came out and was chatting to me about the ride and some other small talk topics. I took the Garmin 301 off of my handlebars and placed it on the lip of the trunk before taking off the wheel and slipping my bike into my truink, all the while holding a conversation. After I got my bike situated in the ttunk of my civic, I shut the trunk. Thats when the up chauck feeling hit me.

The trunk didn't shut and I heard a loud "bang" as the trunk poped back open. I looked down and saw my 301 sitting on the lip with a severely cracked screen. I can't believe I just did that. I think I need to get a beer.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

So you are saying that your 301 is toast, eh?

Sorry... that sucks.

I took my 310 out for its first run today.  I will tell it that we did it honor of Toast's toasted 301.

Get Lost :)

Sorry to hear it. I'm pretty sure you should blame your car and not you. At least I wish I could do the same when I drove my car into the parking garage with my road bike on the roof rack. Saddle caught and broke my front fork. Thankfully, no more damage than that but it's still a $225 mistake. "Oops."

Luckily, I have way to much stuff in my single stall garage to park a car (two motorcycles, golf cart, numberous bikes, etc.), so I don't see that happening to me. I have heard from a friend that he had that happen at a McDonalds drive-thru, not good.

I was the idiot that set it down, so its all on me. Normally I put it in my backpack right away, but with the conversation going on, I blew that off. I used it on my bike this morning, but I can't see any info on the screen. I'll use it again at lunchtime, but will have to run blind and upload when I get back.

I'm thinking about getting the Garmin FR60 with foot pod and Garmin GSC 10 speed\cadence sensor for my bike as a replacement. I don't really need the GPS portion of my forerunner, just distance, pace or speed.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life